8.12.2008

MOVIE REVIEW: MAMMA MIA!


Dear Mr. Brosnan:

Although we have never met, please permit me to call you Pierce.

So, Pierce, I saw Mamma Mia! last week and have needed some time to think about it. It's kind of like when one witnesses some funny accident where the victim isn't hurt, only embarrassed. That's how I felt about your movie.

Listen, man, I can totally relate. I have an awful singing voice. When I was a kid, my mom made me enroll in music day camp for a few summers. The director felt compelled to give every kid a solo who auditioned, even if it was just a few lines in a medley. I was ridiculously bad, and I knew it. That was only in front of a couple hundred people, and poor you, this movie has been seen by millions, worldwide.

I hope it makes you feel better to know that my husband finds your singing voice "endearing." He loved the movie more than I did, (that's why I married him). We've had a lot of fun singing along with "SOS" on ABBA Gold and imitating your voice. Good times... good times.



Admittedly, the movie is starting to grow on me, especially because I can't get the songs out of my head. I just wish there could of been a little more character development and better directing. Some of those film shots were pretty goofy.

Who am I kidding? I love cheesy dance numbers and ABBA!

As for you, Pierce, I know you tried your best. That's all that matters. Besides, with a career like yours, who cares?

Sincerely,

Cristin

P.S. Do you know where Amanda Seyfried's bathing suit in this scene came from? Not like I'm going to look like her in it, but I wouldn't mind trying it on. Thanks.

9 comments:

  1. My immediate thought was, can I really comment since once, as a toddler, you told me to stop singing while I was rocking you to sleep one night. So I was thinking maybe his voice didn't really bother me THAT much (it's been a week since I saw the movie). Then I played the clip...OUCH! I've always wanted to see it as a stage musical, you know, where someone actually has to AUDITION for the part. p.s. thanks for linking-up to my blog. You probably thought that after someone read my mother's sad tale, even Pierce Brosnan's voice wouldn't seem that pathetic. Sorry, it just didn't work for me. You should bring a camera into a theatre and videotape an audience's reaction to hearing him sing, then put that on YouTube. Good Times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm, I sing so poorly I didn't even know how to recognise poor singing. I loved Mama Mia, and then I started reading blog reviews and everybody was making fun of it and I was all, "Dang, should I not like it then?"

    Anyway, I still would see it again, bad singing or not. I thought the location was AMAZING, and beautiful, and I really like Meryl Streep.

    But I hated that swimsuit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw his interview on the morning show before the movie publically came out and he said that his family just about DIED when he got the role because they were like, "Do they know you can't sing?!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just think he should be considered "Secure and Brave" I'm sure he knows he can't sing on a professional level, but I still think it was better then if they had dubbed his voice. I think he should be applauded for just doing it anyways. I doubt many of today's movie stars would even try. Besides, I think you can only be critical of someone's performance if you know for a fact that you could do it better, and since I know I couldn't have done it any better then Ol Piercy, I think it was all for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with Erik, I give him props for using his real voice even if it's not that great! And to me Pierce Brosnan is so good to look at that putting up with his voice really wasn't all that unbearable :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Pierce. Though, admittedly, I didn't pay too much attention to him when Mr. Darcy was near.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is one of the only plays i've ever seen, which ended up being great... it's funny to think of ol' Pierce taking a stab at singing, yeeesh

    ReplyDelete
  8. He was so nasaly I kept trying to mimic him but it's hard to. Maybe he'll get a recor deal and be the names william Hung! The movie was def. cheesy but I did enjoy it. I did like her bathing suit too. It kind of looked like something from J Crew. Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been avoiding this post until we saw the movie. We finally just watched it and totally have to agree that Pierce was a terrible singer.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails