8.04.2008

I'M NOT A WOMAN ANYMORE, I'M A MOM

So, you've all seen the "Mom Jeans" skit on Saturday Night Live, right? The other day Erik told me that my new shorts from Old Navy looked like Mom Jeans.

The Offending Pair of Shorts

The really bad thing was that I knew he was right. I could just feel while I was wearing them that they were not flattering, yet I continued to wear them. This is how I feel about all my clothes. I feel like I am drowning in a sea of Mom Jeans and there is nothing I can do about it.

When I say, Mom Jeans, I mean "Mom" clothes in general. I know that some of you will say, "What's wrong with dressing like a mom?" Perhaps part of it is being 30. However, look at those Desperate Housewives ladies. They are all well over 30 and they don't wear Mom Jeans.

Last week I visited my grandmother. Like usual, five minutes into the visit I was covered in poop and spit up. My wardrobe has turned into 5 colored t-shirts that I pair with ugly shorts or capris. When I go to the store to buy more clothes, I keep buying the same ugly stuff. I can't help myself. I don't know what to do or how to break the cycle of buying such ugly clothes.

According to this article, "The fear of failure is one of the main reasons women end up buying more nasty mom jeans." I'm sure that kind of reasoning could apply to my entire wardrobe.

[Speaking of clothes, I used hairspray, oxyclean, baking soda and detergent to get the stains out and it worked! Thanks everyone for the help!]

10 comments:

  1. I now buy my clothes with the thought that it will probably be completely destroyed before the year is over. Old Navy has been my friend for great deals. I figure that once my youngest kid is 5, I can start buying new clothes again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that if all us moms had millions of dollars to spend and people picking out our clothes, we'd look just as good.

    Besides, I don't know about you, but I still can't fit into my fitting shirts or old jeans almost 3 months after Sam was born.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the exact same cycle. Trapped! I hate everything I own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cristin your problem is if you don't feel 100% comfortable you will never wear it. So even though you hate your current clothes, you would much rather keep wearing them instead of trying something new. You just need to find that happy balance of comfortable casual clothes that don't make you look like you shop at Kmart.
    ALSO- stop buying clothes just because thy sre dirt cheap. You end up wasting more money because you are never completely satisfied with the purchase and you are always trying to replace them. I know this is long, but if you are going to buy clothes from oldnavy and places like that- the rule of thumb is- does this look like abercrombie? if it does than buy it. the great thing about abercrombie type clothes is they can get dirty and messy and still look good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cristin I laughed so hard when I read this because I ordered those exact pair of shorts a week ago. I need something to fill the gap until I fit into my old clothes again. I hate being a size bigger than my normal stuff. These last 5 pounds are killing me! At this point if they can hide my fat rolls, then I could care less if they look like mom jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why is everyone so picky about their size, geesh! I feel for ya on buying clothes. I am still in search of a nice fitting/long shirt that is nursing friendly and my baby's 9 months!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotta love the mom jeans. Better that than your crack hanging out the vack. When they start making jeans where when you bend over to pick up your child who is making a run for it and you don't feel a breeze, I will be soooo happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's kind of depressing, Cristin. What's worse is that I'm NOT a mom and I thought those shorts looked cute. I don't get what's "mom" about them--they didn't look high-waisted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to get away (or so I thought) with buying cheap jeans, but since I have had a baby my body is so different I finally broke and bought an 80 dollar pair of Jeans because I was so desperate! But I think it was so worth it becaue I know I will have them forever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Provo Towne Center Mall has an ad campaign that says, "Your clothes don't have to scream MOM, you have kids for that."

    Thought this was a funny post, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails