8.25.2008

I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT

Someone recently asked if I could do a post about wedding announcement etiquette. Her words were something like, "If I get one more announcement with the registry information printed on the actual announcement, I am going to scream. That is so tacky!" She's right, but man, you think those anti-Prop 8 people hate me, just imagine if I were to dissect actual wedding announcements that people have sent me! That would be worse than using the Stork Parking at Babies 'R' Us when you're not expecting. I'm bad, but I'm not that bad.


I save every wedding announcement I receive in ziploc bags that I keep in my closet. Once in awhile I go through them with friends and we sort them into good, really good, and hideous. (Don't you judge me. It's a fun little game.)

Mormon wedding announcements are especially fun because they include pictures. This is a strange phenomenon unique to Mormons. Other religions don't typically do this. I get really mad when I don't get a picture.

So, instead of offending every single person I know by critiquing my least favorite engagement pictures, I will be vague and just tell you what drives me crazy!

1. Pictures where the couple doesn't touch. I have a picture where the couple is on opposite sides of a fence. Weird. Another where the couple is on opposite sides of a bench. What are they trying to tell us?

2. Pictures where I can't see their faces. Alright, I know I said I wouldn't, but I have to post this one engagement picture to illustrate my point:

I twisted this picture every which way and still couldn't see what my friend's fiancee looked like. Drove me nuts. Why send a picture out if we can't see your faces? Waste of time and money, in my opinion. Plus, how are we supposed to know if you are scummy-yummy or equally matched. I'm just sayin'....

3. Most black and white pictures. Alright, I have a confession. I have a black and white engagement picture, at my insistence. It was cool in 2001. Everyone did it, but now I hate it. The photographer was great, but I wish now that I could see the beautiful colors of the trees, etc. What a waste.


I didn't like this picture because of my arm. The best part is that we received lots of picture frames with this picture in it as wedding gifts. I wanted to say, sarcastically, "Wow, thanks... just can't get enough of that picture." Gag.

4. Pictures with animals. I hate dogs.

To end this on a positive note, here are some examples of good engagement pictures.


I liked my sister and brother-in-law's picture because it was easy to see their faces, in color, and no dogs. We had the same photographer for our engagement pictures, just 7 years apart and now she is a professional. It really does make a difference.


This isn't an announcement, but I loved this idea for a unique Christmas card. Of course, doing this requires foresight and preparation.


Finally, here is one of Erik's favorite engagement pictures. He likes it because you can see the BYU sailing club property in it. Seriously, he mentions it every time we go through our announcement bags.


19 comments:

  1. Oh, how I do hate that I love photos in wedding announcements. It's so wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cristin, you now owe me lots of money for posting that picture. (Remember I know how much money you make off this blog) Anyway though, everything you said is SO true and needed to be said, ALthough I'm really worried you are now going to get a lot of angry, offended readers. But hey, what else is new?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents recently received a wedding announcement where the couple's backs were to the camera. We thought maybe it was a protest against all the cheesy, expensive, overdone or whatever wedding pictures. Turns out they didn't like any of the front-facing photos they had taken but they did like the scenery in the background. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was mom who wanted you to write about how tacky registry cards were? wasn't it? I do think Kaci has a really good one, it makes me wish I had a professional take mine. It's weird seeing how young you and Erik were!

    ReplyDelete
  5. O.K. Cristin I know that is your sisters picture and I am not trying to offend but would you consider that tacky modesty?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elisa - Actually no, I wouldn't consider it tacky modesty because she is wearing blouse, not a t-shirt. Thanks for the question.

    Kelley - It wasn't mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post brought me out of my lazy igoogle hiding place to comment!
    Hilarious as always...BUT I would think with all your recent chubby bunny comments that you would LOVE me for showing that arm. (actually-now that I'm a professional :) I've learned to try and keep the arms out...they require too much photoshopping!)
    And I have to add a thank you for not including me in the bad engagement category. (and I loved the Christmas card idea)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooooh, "tacky modesty"?? Kelley please help me with this one!!!! People can't see but it's actually a very NICE quality, detailed black dress and a NICE white blouse (like Cristin said) And to all of you who wore tennis shoes/jeans/ oh and lets not forget those matching polo t-shirts... now that is tacky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. my most favorite "tacky engagement picture" ever was a couple who wore squirrel ears and on the picture it said "we're nuts about each other"... i give them props for stepping outside the traditional Mormon picture box!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with the pictures..but curious about the registry info thing. How are people supposed to know where you are registered unless you tell them? Or did the original question say that the registry info was printed ON the actual announcement/invitation? (vs. a separate card included with said announcement).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always figured if people were curious enough, they would just call and ask where we were registered. I'm talking about putting the info on the ACTUAL announcement. That's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy and I did our announcement photo in black and white. We also had the announcement ON the photo. So, we took a picture with us all the way to the right of the frame, then had the writing in the left of the frame. We weren't trying to be creative, that was just the cheapest way to do it.

    I never realized how much you look like Luke until I saw your engagement photo. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It must have been a 2001 trend...we have a sepia pic for our announcement too! I have to respectfully disagree with the registry info though. Greg's brother gave him crap about not putting our registry info on our announcements and it still urks me to this day! We didn't put where we we're registered, nobody asked, and we ended up with lots of crazy gifts from Rains (an Ojai store). It sucked seeing that we left for Davis the next day after we got married and couldn't return those items until 4 months later....which by then most of the stuff had been on clearance or couldn't be returned. I have since told almost anyone that asks to please put the registry info at least in the envelope or you'll totally regret it later. Though tacky looking on the announcement soooo much more practical unless you have everything you need already and just want stuff to ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think I ever let Megan know that Kaci's engagement picture garnered more compliments than any of the ones the other girls sent. As far as registry info goes, Gentle Reader, whatever happened to the day when the hostess of the event (usually the mother of the bride) was personally asked where the bride was registered. People who really care about purchasing a gift that way will ask! Unfortunately we are now living in an era where common courtesy like making a phone call, or writing a thank you note (now that was the topic I wanted Cristin to write about, Kelley, the pre-printed, engraved Thank You) is virtually nonexistent. People want to have as little personal contact as possible nowadays, even if it's voice-to-voice. Just see Cristin's previous post on Slydial.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree about not putting it on your annoucement and I also dont' think it's necessary to put it ona seperate paper either. What are you trying to say, "presents required if you want to share this happy momment with us." Most people register at the same places, Target, Bed, Bath and Beyond, Linen's N Things... or whatever is the norm where you live. We didn't put our registry on our annoucement and we got a bunch of stuff from our registry. Either because people just guessed (like I do for weddings) or they asked family members. Either way, a wedding annoucement is about annoucing a wonderful event and not focusing on just the presents. Hey, I am all for presents, but it really is about having people come share the happy moment with you even if they can't bring a gift or get you the wrong thing. Besides gift cards are the BEST. And the not so good gifts.... at least the people were thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I guess you would have liked our picture mostly, because I did good on most of your points. unfortunately, the photo we chose was one where I was kind of laying on Poor Kyle on his living room sofa (which I'd picked out months before we actually got married), and if the picture had been in colour, everyone would know we were laying on a red floral sofa, with me on top of him. (Scandalous!)

    As it is, I'm hoping people just thought I was laying on him in front of a field of two-dimensional flowers. Because that would be so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it is hilarious how nit-picky the ladies are on this subject. WOW

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it is hilarious how nit-picky the ladies are on this subject. WOW

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW!! That last picture is one GREAT engagement picture!! Everything about the shot is perfect. Erik definitely has good taste! Thanks for the compliment, even if it had nothing to do with the couple and everything to do with the background scenery.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails