8.21.2008

GOING AROUND WEARING A BIG BS

Here's a lead for Dateline NBC, the local news, or any other investigative reporters -

Remember this scene in Jack-Jack Attacks when Syndrome (the villain) replaces Kari, the babysitter?


Syndrome: Is this the Parr's residence?

Kari:
Yes! I'm Kari, the babysitter!

Syndrome:
Well, hello, uh... Kari. I am...

Kari: You're my replacement, thank heaven you've come! What does the S stand for?

Syndrome:
For... s...Sitter! Yeah, sitter. Originally I was gonna have initials for babysitter, but then I would've been going around wearing a big BS, and you understand why I couldn't go with that.

Mr. Dicker: ... and you believed him!?

I've been helping a friend out this week by transporting her daughter, Mary, to and from daycare and preschool. No big deal, right? Except that I can't believe how relaxed security is at the daycare!

Day One:

I go into the daycare to pick up Mary. The teacher asks to see my i.d. I show it to her and she can't find my name on the list, but lets Mary go with me anyway.

Day Two:

I go into the daycare to pick up Mary. It is a different teacher from the day before. This teacher still can't find my name on a list and tells me to talk to her supervisor who is down the hall. I look down the hall and the supervisor's office is empty. I take Mary and leave anyway. No one stops me.

Does anyone else think this is super scary? They obviously have policies in place to insure that children only go with the people they are supposed to, but they are not being followed. Do you realize how easy it would be for an estranged parent with no rights to his or her children to pick them up and take them away forever?

I know that most of you are probably thinking that I am blowing this out of proportion, but imagine the consequences for not following this simple procedure? What if I was a crazy person? A child molester? Some stranger off the street? An evil villain (aka Syndrome) hoping to take Mary hostage to threaten her superhero parents?

People are way too trusting.

3 comments:

  1. That is really scary Cristin. In our preschool, the parent has to let the teacher know ahead of time if someone different is going to be picking their child up from preschool. They even have to show their driver's license - proof that they are who they are. If there are no instructions to do that, the child cannot leave until the teacher has reached the parent by cell phone and confirmed it is ok for that person to take the child home.

    Somebody definitely needs to say something about the security at that preschool. They would have a lot of responsibility riding on their shoulders if someone were to take a child and not come back. Plus how would other parents feel knowing this is happening at their school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! That is way scary. What does your friend think about the lack of security? If it were me, I would want to talk to the teachers to get some better security there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm never putting my child in Day Care! Scary!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails