7.07.2008

MY BLINDS ARE CLOSED ALL DAY TODAY

I'm taking a break from my own personal hell right now to give you this important bit of advice:

Cooking bacon while topless is a very bad idea.

After two months of practically pain-free nursing, I started feeling a slight pain while nursing Charlie during my visit to Arizona. After a week or so it progressed into a really intense pain and I started developing these open sores and other nastiness. I tried Soothies and other home remedies, but nothing fixed the problem.

After talking to the local La Leche League leaders, we decided that Charlie and I needed to see a doctor right away. On Saturday I went to the only "Urgent Care" in town besides the emergency room.

[I call it an "Urgent Care" because it was a doctor's office in an old house that happens to be open on Saturdays for walk-ins. I know it used to be a house because the receptionist was sitting in an actual kitchen. I know it was a kitchen because she had an old stove and sink right behind her. Papers and files were everywhere, as if the stove and sink did not exist. I did not find this quaint. It was weird.]

The doctor prescribed Nystatin for a possible yeast infection and an antibiotic for a possible bacterial infection because she couldn't figure out exactly what I had. She also wanted to prescribe Tylenol with Codeine for the pain, but after I told her about that FDA warning from last summer she checked her resources (i.e., the internet), came back to me and said I would just have to "muddle through the pain." Yeah, I thought so.

Nystatin is this yucky yellow goop that goes in the baby's mouth and on the mother's nipples to treat thrush. It is very sticky and reminds me of the coating on those long sticky strips that people hang from the ceiling to catch flies. Nystatin sticks to everything, and will take your skin off as well when you're trying to detach. Hence, the cooking bacon while topless this morning. (Did I mention this is a really bad idea?)

When I nurse, I bleed. When I pump, I bleed. In order to keep up my milk supply, I have been hand expressing milk while I heal. I hope I don't have to do it for more than another day or two. Yes, this is as tedious as it sounds. I work for an hour or so for 5 ounces that Charlie gulps down in 5 minutes. Yes, I feel like a cow. The worst part is when Charlie cries and tries to nurse. I want so badly to let him, but he is literally sucking the blood right out of me. Yesterday I let him nurse for ten minutes and I was dizzy afterwards.

Don't forget that during this craziness I still have Luke. Today while I was sitting in the toy room hand expressing milk, Luke walked in with a bottle, lifted up his shirt and put the bottle on his stomach. You know I'm doing it a lot when my 2 year old thinks he has a breast infection too.

I know this will pass, I just wish it would be better right now because I am getting very tired of hand expressing milk. Although, we all know how stubborn I am when it comes to nursing, so I pray I will be victorious in the end.

Special thanks goes out to La Leche League. What a great organization. I love being able to call the leaders for support and guidance. Also, special thanks to Super Why, Sesame Street and Word World for entertaining Luke today.

18 comments:

  1. Wow, Cristin, that sounds awful. I hope that everything turns out ok for you and baby Charlie.

    As a soon to be mom, you sure are scaring me though! Not really, but it really doesn't sound pleasant. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guess you don't cook your bacon in the microwave like I do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ouch Cristin, you are not supposed to tell me these things- everything is supposed to be EASIER with your second, right?? Right? I guess this is very wishful thinking...I sure hope you heal quick, I just cringe thinking about it- boob pain is so horrible... any way to catch it before it gets so bad, for next time or for those of us terrified of thrush?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was my wife's experience with Thing 1 and Thing 2. Lucky for us, Thing 3 had a heart problem and had to have a supplement added to his milk, so she's been pumping and feeding him with a bottle nearly his entire life. Yea, heart problems!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feel better soon Cristin, that sounds miserable! You definitely deserve for someone to watch Luke and Charlie so you can have some down time- wish I was there to help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you don't bleed when you hand express your milk? It hurts because it reminds me of the first week nursing Jonah. Well so I'm assuming Charlie takes a bottle well! Ouch. This really makes me laugh though (not really) but Kelley said something would happen to you and you wouldn't be able to nurse because of your post on the importance of nursing. I really REALLY hope this goes away soon. I am soo sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry! Hopefully you heal quickly and everything works out well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awful news. Hope you get feeling better real soon. And at least wear an apron when you cook bacon naked!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You poor thing! I hope you get better soon. I know it doesn't help, but if I were closer I would totally help you :)

    Hope you get to feeling better real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please, Please, Please come to playgroup with a shirt on! And if I even suspect a piece of bacon anywhere on you, I will be REALLY frightened!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh. my. cristin, that sounds horrendous. i'm actually a little nauseous just imagining the pain. you actually sound like you're taking it quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is Karma for you returning the favor after your "I love Breastfeeding" blog that upset some of your fans from a few weeks ago. TMI

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I know your pain! I had thrush with baby #3. I am praying I don't get it with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. BLAH! I am so sorry! I can totally symtathize with the whole bleeding while nursing deal...no bueno...take a break and use Nestle Good Start formula...the orange can....it sucks but its the closest to breastmilk. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Trush sucks! I had it with Sarah when she was 6 months and I was very close to throwing in the towel with breastfeeding because it is so aweful!!! It will go away thou....just keep using that yucky meds and seriously take some ib profin or something!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! Is nothing sacred anymore!

    P.S. That's why I cook my bacon bottomless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Cristin. So this same thing happened to me with my second kid. I tried nystatin at first but it didn't work. So I switched to genetian violet. You can find it at any pharmacy over the counter. Basically just swab over your nipples before you feed and if your baby has thrush in his mouth you can swab it in the inside of his cheeks. It's purple so it will turn Charlie's mouth and your nipples purple for awhile. But it's totally worth it cause mine cleared up in like 4 days.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cristin, frying bacon is always a horrifying experience with the sizzling and the burning of fingers and eyeballs, but topless? I'd like to know a little more how that went over. Do you have like third degree burns now along with the infection? Ouch! There's got to be some kind of invention that can cook bacon without the mess, the grease, and the pain. . . I think there is on as seen on tv...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails