7.15.2008

FUN SUCKERS

I always get on Google Reader on Monday and look at everyone's blog posts about how their weekends were so "fun." Everyone posts these pictures of the beach, camping, parades, bowling, swimming, etc. In the pictures, they are smiling and their kids are smiling. They actually look like they enjoy one another's company. The kids look like they are having fun.

Well, this post has no pictures, because my weekend was not happy. Excuse me while I vent and be way too negative.

Sometimes I feel like Luke is sucking the fun out of everything. I wonder why I even leave the house anymore. It's just too much work for a miserable experience.

It is hard work to drag umbrellas, chairs, food, and toys, along with little kids, out to the beach. Why go through all this hard work when you feel like poking your eye out with a fork at the end of the day? Why take a little boy to a street festival when he just screams almost the entire time and fights to get away? This just isn't fun for me.

True. There are some fun experiences sprinkled through out the bad ones. For example, going swimming with Luke, Charlie and Lizette this weekend was great. BUT, those fun experiences feel far and few between the overwhelmingly bad ones, i.e., Luke throwing a temper tantrum while naked at the beach, Luke not sleeping, Luke freaking out during church. He can be a really good little boy, I promise. It's just that going on trips or "major" adventures does not seem to be sitting well with him.

Erik and I decided this weekend that maybe we just shouldn't ever leave the house again. Of course in three weeks, I will forget that we felt this way and we'll optimistically take off on another trip, expecting the best. It's just a vicious cycle of hope.

We're hopeless.

11 comments:

  1. While my mother-in-law was here visiting, she kept asking me about things around the community that were advertised or things that looked like fun to do (i.e. the art museum). Well, like you, I've learned that those things aren't fun to me while I have to chase around a kid and keep him from touching things or knocking them down. So, I wasn't much help for her she had to discover them on her own. You're not alone Cristin, believe me. There are MANY things I do not attempt with a kid because he sucks the fun out of them for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was hard for me when my first kid turned two because i really didn't know that the 'terrible two's' were so true. i kept wondering where my sweet little baby went. keep in mind that things will get better when he gets older. jonah's 4 now and it is so much fun to take him places as long as i don't have my other 'terrible two' with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can definitely be a challenge. I have one suggestion for you that worked great for us. We have a good sized backyard and found on craigslist a swingset. Now the boys can play on the playground at home while I do things in the house. It was the best $150 I ever spent. If I go out to the zoo or something, I usually go with another friend and her kids - that way the kids keep each other entertained and there are 2 adults controlling the drama. I hope you feel better :) Check out swingsets for your backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate. While Cecily is usually well behaved, sometimes I don't want to take her anywhere. I had a lot of reservations about going to Disneyland. Fortunately, there were lots of hands and eyes to watch and grab her. I think it may have been too much for just Nate and I. I mean, we could have handled it, but there would be no fun for us.

    Heck, I try to get out of taking her places if I can. Going to Costco with just Cordelia a few weeks ago was almost fun. There was no Cecily that had to hold my hand or to make sure she was sitting in the cart and not stealing something from or hitting her sister.

    Of course, there was my infamous trip to the Santa Monica Pier. It was just one tantrum after another. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me want to poke my eyes out just reading that!I'M SCARED NOW. (caitlin)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in Oregon right now just so my kids can suck the fun out of everything for my aging parents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What about locking luke in the tent from yesterday's post? That sounds like fun to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was Luke always like this or did he develop these traits as a toddler? You are making me scared for what's to come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancee - I think it started when he learned to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cristin I'm sorry your weekend sucked, but I have to tell you that I really appreciate your honesty!!! (and glad that you have a healthy avenue to vent :) Sometimes I wonder how often people play up their "perfect kids" or "perfect trips" on their blogs, when I know that two's are hard and kids can be a pain in the butt! So please, keep us (or at least me!) focused on reality, especially when it comes to having kids! I do hope things get better for you though :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. forget buying diapers OR food for that matter...its called B-A-B-Y-S-I-T-T-E-R!! either leave them home with child or bring them along with child...just do it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails