7.23.2008

FORMULA

Tonight I had to buy formula and I hate buying formula. I would rather speak in public or eat expired food. Anything, but buy formula.

I stared at my options for so long that I think the store employees suspected me of shoplifting. I almost wanted to steal it so that I wouldn't have to buy it. It's so expensive and lousy. I read all the labels of all the cans. Somewhere on each label, in tiny print, it read, "Breastmilk is ideal food for babies." (That short and sweet disclaimer reminds me of the warnings found on packs of cigarettes.) Why, I asked myself, am I doing this if I know breast milk is best and I am capable of giving it to my baby right now?!

The answer: Because I am lazy. Tomorrow is the memorial to commemorate the one year anniversary of The Accident. So that I can attend, I am leaving Charlie for half the day with a friend and I forgot to pump. I should have started pumping in preparation a few days ago, and I didn't.

I have been so careful during this nursing ordeal to not use formula in order to keep my milk supply up. I know that a morning of formula isn't going to affect my milk supply, I just hate giving my baby some concoction where the number two ingredient is vegetable oil. (I know, I have issues.)

[Speaking of the nursing issue, I went to a dermatologist today and he said it's psoriasis that is being irritated by Charlie's saliva. Hopefully his diagnosis is right and things will improve. If they don't, I'm about ready to fly up to Salt Lake to meet that "nipple expert." That's how desperate I've become.]


Anyhow, I decided to go with Nestle Good Start, not because the label claims to have the same ingredients found in breast milk (all the labels say that), but because Nestle makes good chocolate. So, if the formula is anything like their chocolate, Charlie should really enjoy his bottles tomorrow.

9 comments:

  1. Good reasoning on the formula. They do make a mean hot chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last time I bought formula I stood in the isle for a really long time too. I ended up just getting the cheapest can per ounce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought I would see a post on your blog about buying formula. Hope Charlie survives the morning. (: If you ever have to buy it again and if there happens to be a costco somewhere in your area, the kirkland brand is about 1/2 the price of everything else. That's how we've survived this past year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought I would see a post on your blog about buying formula. Hope Charlie survives the morning. (: If you ever have to buy it again and if there happens to be a costco somewhere in your area, the kirkland brand is about 1/2 the price of everything else. That's how we've survived this past year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you enjoy your morning with Erik. Charlie will be just fine. I'm looking at the BIG picture. But, I too, have been in your situation and trying to decide on which formula to give for a temporary situation. Look into goat's milk sometime. They also have a dried formula in the Health Food Stores to keep around for emergencies.
    Call us when you get back from the memorial today...I'd love to hear about it.
    Love, mom lassen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Better not tell Jake about your choice on Nestle. He will not buy any products made by Nestle or products that are sponsored by Nestle. Supposedly, they are responsible for the children dyin gin Africa. They sent loads of formula to Africa and then the mothers fed th eir babies on formula and then their milk dried up and when the formula was gone, the babies were starving. I've never heard of this, but man, don't get Jake started on this topic. He thinks they are evil. If this is true, should Nestle products be banned?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jake is correct. Google "ban nestle" and you'll find way more info. on the "evil nestle" empire than you ever wanted to read. Both my boys weaned at 10.5 months old *gasp* but I cannot for the life of me remember what formula I gave them for the last 1.5 mo. before switching to whole milk. I do remember sitting in the store for what felt like forever debating which kind to buy. Hopefully this time I don't have to use formula at all :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't beat yourself up. You are a mom of 2 kids, the fact that you have breastfed through all your current compilications is admirable. Charlie will live and you will too. I don't think it was laziness, more like exhaustion. Pumping is time consuming and tiring. I know I have given up on it lately. YOu are an awesome mom and don't forget it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow that story of Nestle and Africa is sooo sad! I'm sure Nestle was just trying to help, they should have sent Nestle chocolate instead I guess.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails