6.25.2008

MOVIE REVIEW: KUNG FU PANDA


This was supposed to be a review of the movie, Kung Fu Panda. We decided on Monday to take Charlie and Luke to the movie last night for the family fun night deal at the local movie theater. Right before we went into the theater, I said to Erik, "I hope we're not complete idiots for trying to take both boys." We laughed, oh ha ha ha. Of course this would be a great idea. Luke loves movies. He would watch Toy Story all day long if we would let him.

We are complete idiots.

Luke lasted for maybe two minutes. Five minutes into the movie, Erik and I are both standing in the back of the theater. I am walking back and forth to calm Charlie, Luke is kicking and screaming to go home. I took Luke outside and he entertained himself with the candy machines for over 20 minutes. By that point I had missed so much of the movie that I decided to just leave Charlie with Erik and take Luke to the park where we both had way more fun. The weather was great and I started thinking that maybe we should have just gone to the park in the first place. Besides, why punish Luke for his behavior? He's two. A two year old shouldn't be expected to sit still in a movie theater for 90 minutes. We really are idiots.

So there you have it, yet another family fantasy crushed.

The worst part of the whole evening was not that I paid for a movie I didn't get to see, but that the movie made Erik want Chinese Food for dinner. I picked it up from this restaurant in town that we've never been to before. This is for all those Google searches out there: Do not go to the Great Wall of China Chinese Restaurant in Tehachapi. Gross. It was the kind of food that made me want to eat a slice of bread and drink a glass of grape juice to get the taste out of my mouth.

11 comments:

  1. Good morning sunshine! Didn't you know that they refund money to lame parents who bring their children and then realize their mistake halfway through! At least he didn't spit a mouthfull of soda in your face :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I remember taking Jackson to Ratatouille. If the previews hadn't lasted a half and hour, then he might have lasted half of the movie. He was three then. We still haven't tried the movie theater again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cristin, you are not dummies...you're optimists! We took the boys to see that movie as well. I told Zach that Owen would be a heathen in it, and he was. I am a pessimist. I always imagine the worst b/c usually that's what happens. I made Zach take Owen out (I was enjoying the movie and I had warned him).

    ReplyDelete
  4. You aren't crazy, we have actually had good luck with movies. Cecily has generally been easy. The luck is running out, Cordelia is a bit difficult.

    I could have told you that Great Wall is nasty. I have not eaten there for at least 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cristin, I tried to warn you that the movie wasn't really for little kids! The maybe ONE time I ever saw any parent bring their little kid and baby I thought they were completely crazy and I think they had to leave too

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've only taken Jonah once and I never want to do it again. Zach wanted to take him to Kung fu Pando too and I was like"Are you crazy!?" I was really hoping you could give me a good review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What works for us and is much more is to take the family to the drive in. Then if the kids start to get loud (like Sam crying because I'm not going fast enough to feed him) or Dallen getting excited and shouting out cute comments, we can just roll up our windows and roll them back down when they settle down. Plus we only have to pay for George and I - it was $7.50 each this time. Technically you could watch 2 movies, but usually we are all beat by the time the first movie ends :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We took the kids to see Kung Foo Panda a couple of weeks ago. I knew it wouldn't be a huge success since we've brought them before, but Kate (who is almost four) is finally getting old enough to sit the whole way through. Gavin... not so much. We only had to take him out once, but he was torturing the lady sitting in front of him by kicking her seat the whole time. He was only good for as long as the pop corn lasted. But the movie was REALLy good. You should definitely rent it when it comes out on video!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That movie made ME want chinese food, too!!! I've been wanting it for two weeks now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When Hans was Luke's age, we attempted a movie in Sholow, AZ with my parents and the whole family! Guess who ended up watching Hans run back and forth, back and forth in the hallway behind the theatre? Yep...me! But, hey...I took Hans to see Kung Fu Panda on Monday morning with Ditte, Jeremy and their 3 kids...the kids are finally old enough to really enjoy movies. Ditte did have to run out really fast with Wyatt once to get him to the bathroom, but he did great otherwise, so just give it a little more time. Popcorn, Icees and candy help to keep them entrhalled with the whole experience, too :-}

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, The Great Wall is like the worst Chinese food ever! If you have never had chinese food and went there, I think you would rule out any and all chinese food. Now Panda Express has it going on (too bad there isn't one here, but there is one in Valencia :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails