5.11.2008

WHERE DID YOU COME FROM?


Today the Young Women asked me when I was going to bring Jurgen Danger (aka Charlie) to church. (Little did they know, I actually did bring him to church, I just sat in the back and happened to skip out of sacrament meeting, with baby in tow, during the closing hymn.) Erik came home during the 2nd hour so that I could go to Young Womens. Why all the theatrics, you ask? Charlie is only two and a half weeks old, which still seems way too little to me to be exposing him to all sorts of people, i.e., snot nosed kids (other than Luke, of course), young women, etc.

The more I thought about it today, I also might be avoiding "showcasing" him because I am waiting for him to look like my son. If you haven't noticed, Charlie looks nothing like me. NOTHING. Seconds after his birth, immediately following the thought, "Whew, I'm glad he finally came out," came, "What the -?? What's with the dark hair? Who are you little man?" It reminds me of my sister, Caitlin, who asked "Um, which one is my baby?" after she was taken to the nursery following her delivery of my nephew. Thank goodness I had him at home, or I would probably be wondering if Charlie was switched at birth.

Please don't think I am a bad or unloving mother. I love Charlie. He's swell. I just keep hoping his hair will turn lighter or for some other characteristic that will identify him as mine. Erik tells me that this should help me to understand how he felt when Luke was born. I guess this is what I get for the first kid looking all like me.

17 comments:

  1. very very nice shot....I'm most impressed!! (should I be telling Erik this?? :)

    It's much better to have the child resemble the father/your husband...gets you into less trouble....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable picture! I felt the same when Zachary was born. He looks nothing like me...except when he is upset, so my husband tells me. All I hear all the time is, "My, he sure looks like his daddy!" So maybe the next one will look like me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really cute picture of Charlie. I love that you said Charlie is swell. I haven't heard that in FOREVER...And bytheway, I think Lassen babies are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah I'm glad you were thinking the same thing I am!! But does Erik actually think he looks like HIM?? Good thing you had him at home or I would seriously think there was a problem

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it funny how they all can be so different. Charlie is adorable...you should be happy about that at least! Kylee had dark hair at birth too and I must admit I was a bit shocked....it lightened by her 1st b-day. I ALWAYS get "your kids look just like Greg". The funny thing is they both look so different from each other that I just don't get how they both "look like Greg". And the red hair thing with Sarah threw us both for a loop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No need to worry. Gavin had super dark hair when he was born and then grew in lighter. It looked like he had highlights put in because the roots were so much lighter. If you don't believe me, I have a link to our website I used to do before we started our blog: http://sanashby.googlepages.com/bigsister
    I realize he's not blond now, but his hair is still a TON lighter than it was then. But little Charlie sure is a cutie! I love that picture of him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWE, what a precious angel he is! I'm sure his hair will lighten up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The other day at the grocery store a lady made a rude comment to me how Jonah looks nothing like me, and asked kelley if she was really the mom and if I was just the babysitter!.. And I think Jonah looks ALOT like me! Charlie is so adorable. I'm sure within a few months he will start having more Goodrich Characteristics come through. (Caitlin)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um, Cristin, you don't know where babies come from? After your second one? Hmmm, this is awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, I think your prejudice against dark haired people, Cristin. All I want is for one of my babies to keep their dark hair. :-) It is an interesting gene pool you two have, that your two boys either look all Goodrich, or all Lassen. Can't wait to see what # 3 will look like. hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our boys are the same way. Peter, with exception of his fair hair, looks like Bryan's clone. Comparing their baby pictures is mildly eerie. Cooper on the other hand looks a lot like me. I brought a baby picture of me to a family gathering and Bryan's cousin picked it up and said "There's our Cooper." What I keep looking for is how the boys might appear to actually be brothers. I'm hoping I notice something soon.

    Also, Charlie is incredibly cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. He's very cute. I like him.....how far away do you live again? I want to squish on him....

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I first held Charlie the day he was born I kept thinking how very familiar he looked to me. He looked so much like my 9 babies! We'll claim him, if you don't want to Cristin. He's adorable!! This photo of him is so sweet....MMMMmmmm I want to cuddle and kiss him! Missing you all!
    Love, gramma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty much the only thing Anna got from me was the red hair, at least we hope it stays red. She looks just like a little Joey. Good thing he is so good looking! Charlie is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG!!!! SO CUTE!!! Dont worry, i still cant figure out who bella looks like more...shes just a good mix i guess. One thing is for sure, you know how to make really cute kids! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails