5.14.2008

IT'S JUST A CRUSH

My celebrity crushes have gone in this order:

Junior High - Keanu Reeves (yeah, weird, I know)
High School - Evan Dando (this really dates me - if anyone even knows who he is)

...and that's about it! I was never one of those girls to have a big poster of some celebrity on my wall, although it seemed like most of my friends were seriously obsessed with some "flavor of the month." For example, in junior high, my friends told me that I had to have a crush on one of the "Young Guns," so I picked Kiefer Sutherland, even though I didn't really like him. Then, in college, my roommates told me I had to pick a Backstreet Boy to have a crush on and I chose Brian because he was the only one not taken, even though I didn't really like him either. Dang, peer pressure.

My sisters on the other hand have been totally obsessed with certain celebrities and not ashamed of it either. The far worst being CLAY AIKEN. (Yes, you read that right. I really just wrote CLAY AIKEN.) A few years ago, my parents surprised Kelley and Caitlin with tickets to a Kelly Clarkson/Clay Aiken concert. I would have expected them to leave the concert talking about Kelly Clarkson, but instead they couldn't stop drooling over Clay Aiken. They obsessed for hours over how close he was standing to them, and how he was so "tall" and "much better looking in person." At first I thought it was a joke, but then posters of Clay started showing up in their rooms. They talked about Clay non-stop. They probably even joined those "Clay-mate" groups online - that's how crazy obsessed they were. It was weird... like their bodies had been possessed.

Just in case you don't know who I am talking about, here is the advertisement for Clay's brand new album:


Man, I hope this post doesn't make their husbands jealous.

15 comments:

  1. I DEMAND YOU EDIT THIS POST!!! I NEVER had a poster of him up in my room!!! Although- I did mention, "I would Love to have a poster of him" I NEVER ACTUALLY DID IT!!!

    Okay, I never had a "thing" for Clay until his concert. He is magical... thats all I gotta say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evan Dando-the Lemonheads. I crushed on him too. AND Keanu Reeves. I also crushed on Robert Downey Jr. (pre-drug phase-at least when we knew he was on drugs) and Christian Slater, Christian Bale, I could go on and on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and Clay Aiken? DIRTY. He's our generation's Barry Manilow or some other cheeseball crooner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man that Clay Aiken is totally hot...NOT.
    And Keanu Reeves that totally bodacious, Dude...NOT.

    Man, I as still cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Jamie. Tyler and I were laughing at his "dirty" picture. He looks so UGLY.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU ARE SUCH A LITTLE LIAR! Okay so YES we went to a clay Aiken Concert.. And maybe we got a little carried away when he sang to us with his perfect harmonious voice.. but I have NEVER joined a claymate group OR have ever hung up ANY poster of him on my wall. SICK! p.s. He looks like a plastic barbie doll in tat picture. CREEPY.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sisters comments crack me up! I have to admit... I had a little crush on Keanu Reeves when he was in A Walk in the Clouds (I can't remember how old I was, though). But a couple years later I wondered what I was thinking! And still wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clay Aiken? Not so much. Jon from New Kids On The Block? I think my hands just started sweating....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought I had to have crushes too, so I was in love with Johnathan Brandis and Johnathon Taylor Thomas. That was back in elementary school and I would buy Tiger Beat magazine so I could have pictures of them. Then after that I kind of avoided celebrity crushes until about now...Johnny Depp, anyone?
    BTW: I took my mom to a Clay Aiken concert for her birthday. The old ladies were throwing their granny panties at him. It was nuts. I think I was the only non-preteen and non-middle aged woman. It was a good concert and I love his voice. But no crush.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The profile shot of him looks like a caucasian Michael Jackson.

    ReplyDelete
  11. okay, so is that seriously what he's looking like these days? ich. i don't/didn't/etc. watch american idol. but i'm thinking he's gone downhill.

    crushes from my youth: joey mcintyre from new kids on the block, jonathan brandis from sequest dsv, leonardo dicaprio from when he was on Growing Pains, hmmm i'm sure there were more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whatever Cristin, you were totally in love with Brian from BSB. Admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never really was obsessed over celebrity crushes. I pretended that I dated Brad Pitt, but broke it off because he was to clingy.

    I love Kelley's comment "He is magical". That made me laugh. I am sure in concert he is way better than a cheesy ugly album cover.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so funny! I remember having a crush on John from New Kids on the Block because he was one not taken by my girlfriends at the time! We love reading your blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. He looks soo weird in that picture. Speaking of crushed, my mom just informed me that NKOTB, or New Kids on the Block are reunited! Talk about crushes, my friends were all in love with Joe McIntire!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails