5.12.2008

BACKYARD BLUES

I don't know what would be worse - having a huge backyard that is a big pile of dirt and tumbleweeds or not having a backyard at all? This picture will hopefully give you an idea of the vastness that exists behind our house -


If that still doesn't convey how large our backyard is, Erik was literally driving his Oldsmobile around in it last weekend. (How very classy of him.)

I was at our ward's playgroup recently and all the mothers were freaking out because their children were playing in a mud puddle... that is, all the mothers except for me. I was like, "Whoop-te-do, a mud puddle?! Puh-lease." Take a look at Luke after just 5 minutes in the our backyard.

I wish I could say this was not typical, but when all you have is a big pile of dirt for your child to play in, this is what happens every day. This is why I bathe him twice a day. This is why I do twice as much laundry as I should.

The answer: We should move to a rental with a finished backyard. The only problem is that I hate moving. I hate moving so much that I will continue to endure this mess day after day. Poor Luke, if only his parents were more flexible and didn't have so much junk.

12 comments:

  1. Do you also say "Woopdedoo" when luke eats the dirt? (Caitlin)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys do have A LOT of stuff. Arn't the people still kicking you out at anytime?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little dirt never hurt anyone. Besides, that kid will probably have the strongest immune system ever!! Those other moms sound a little wussy to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. Remember the elittle teeny square of dirt outside my front door at wymount? Even with a teeny square of dirt they find it and play in it and get just as dirty.....Dominic always had to bathe and I didn't have laundry in my apartment then. I feel your pain!

    I love reading your blog. You are a good writer.

    And after your last post about clothes not fitting after pregnancy I want to send you a Blush ( www.toplessundershirt.com ). I'll have to send you a close-out color, but if you like it you can order other colors. Send me your address. They are amazing!

    katie.matteson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. why hasn't anyone commented on the freaky elmo hat????? you let him wear that??? I'm all for stripping him down to his diaper...if he takes that off too then maybe he'll potty train himself...at least it will save you in the laundry department..and they're much happier naked...You have a good sized fence so no need to worry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan - My mother bought him that hat and Luke SLEEPS with it on because he loves it so much.

    There are some battles I choose not to fight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. seriously, luke looks like a teeny tiny ant in that backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cristin your boys are so adorable! I can't believe I have never seen a picture of Luke until now! You sound like you are doing awesome in your adventure with motherhood! And I couldn't stop Indiana from eating dirt at that age! Jared really misses having Erik around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally know how you feel. We have NO backyard and all front yard with a gravel driveway. Lizette only likes play with the gravel, and giving each piece of gravel a kiss. GROSSSS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. We do this all in the name of "cheap" rent..

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like our backyard. gotta love living in the desert. At least kids like it. Keeps 'um busy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked this post a lot, especially how the dirt is only around Luke's nose and mouth. Now, what was he doing. . .

    It's like living in Palmdale, which we lived for 1 year. Tumbleweed toys in the backyard.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails