4.30.2008

UNDERSTANDING CHARLIE


I feel as if I have spent the last week conditioning my body for a solo around the world non-stop airplane/sailing/hot air balloon trip. You know the kind where the adventurer is by themselves so they are only able to sleep for short spurts at a time? And even then, it's not really sleep... it's more like sleeping with your eyes open.

Trying to understand Charlie has been a little tougher than I had hoped. I have been trying everything I can to get him to sleep without being held or lying on my chest or attached to my boob. It's like this game, "If I put a hat on you, will you sleep without being held? Do you need to sleep on the washing machine? Do you like it when I stand on one foot? Do you like it when I sing Raffi? Do you like to have one arm in the blanket and the other out?"

According to Oprah, he is making a series of "Oooo's", "Ohh's," and "Ohheehe's" that I am supposed to be able to easily interpret as hunger, dirty diaper, etc. However, all his "Ooooheheheheohhhhh's" sound the same to me. When he's not making "Oooohoheheheh's," he's either crying or it sounds like alien babble.

Well, I am happy to report that I see sleep (for both of us) on the horizon. Last night at 2 a.m., I think I figured out Charlie's "thing." He hates to be swaddled. (This makes no sense to me, but whatever.) He likes to sleep on his side. (Don't tell the baby police on me.) In other words, he'll sleep without being held if I let him sleep like a little man! How easy is that?! I can't believe it took me a week to figure out his "thing," and it was actually very simple! All I needed to do was go against those parenting tips/book/Oprah advice. A-ha!

9 comments:

  1. Hey - Whatever works!! My Ethan slept through the night at 2 weeks old because I put him in his crib next to the bumper so he could snuggle it. Sara was way hard to figure out - she likes movement - swing, car,stroller,bouncer. That's harder to do as she gets older. I am keeping the bathroom fan on for white noise to hopefully simulate sounds in the car. Kids are tricky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am calling the Baby Police right now. (I have them on speed dial) and Oprah knows everything about babies. I think you should listen to her and not your own intuition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! He is a little man... I never asked you how much he weighed when he was born.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He DOES look like a little man! And what does Oprah know about babies? She might be the world's most prominent philanthropist, but she's no seasoned mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute! Both my girls liked to sleep on their sides too! They would just roll their little selves over onto their sides as soon as i'd put them down. I can't imagine that lying flat on your back all night would be very comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of mine liked side sleeping right from the start and also hated being swaddled. I hope you're getting a little more sleep now! And he is so dang cute!!! More pictures, please!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey I say whatever works, go for it! When Oprah starts popping out kids of her own, then maybe I'll consider her advice. At this point I would say your sanity is more important than swaddling your child.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My nephew hated being swaddled too. Once you wrapped him up he would poke his little arm out of the blanket. I guess that same independent personality carries on, because he is the most active little guy around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe this is how he slept in the womb. Go with whatever works. I'd have the baby police on me too for the things I do with my baby. It's all about sanity!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails