3.13.2008

WHAT A WASTE

I have been spending the last few days slowly moving Luke's things into his new room, and sorting through baby things to get Jurgen Danger's room all set up. (I say slowly because I am literally waddling down the hall as I transfer clothes and books. I don't remember being this big or tired with Luke.) It's funny to find all those baby things that I thought were so important at the time. Of course, the winner of the most useless baby purchase is the DIAPER GENIE.

I was very fortunate to get a lot of baby shower gifts with Luke, but nobody gave me a Diaper Genie. (Hmmm, maybe because everyone else knew it was a waste o' money?) A few weeks before my due date I purchased one at Target, along with the "can't live without" refills. We used that thing faithfully for about the first 5 months until we realized, "Hey, we're idiots. Are we so lazy that we can't open up the door and throw a stinky diaper into the big garbage can?" The other irony is that babies' diapers generally don't get super stinky until they start eating solid foods.

The only way I could see the diaper genie being useful is if you were in a wheelchair, on bed rest, or morbidly obese. People say these are crucial if you live in a large apartment complex, but what large apartment complex doesn't have a garbage chute down the hall?

Kudos to the inventors of the diaper genie. They have created a useless product and yet somehow made it seem imperative to millions of parents worldwide. It is also consumable, i.e., you will continue to spend $10+ a month on refills to enable your Diaper Genie. The only other thing that comes close to its uselessness is the quilt that comes with a crib bedding set, but even then, you could hang that on a wall or use it when your child is older.

Needless to say, I am selling my "Used, But Clean and in Excellent Condition" Diaper Genie on Craigslist for $10 OBO to some other sucker.

10 comments:

  1. I got mine as a baby shower gift, and hardly used it because I didn't empty it often enough and the stench killed me. I gave mine away. I agree -- a complete waste of money (sorry to those who pitched in to buy me one!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My older sister warned me about their stupideness, so I never bothered with one. We found that for the most part, if we were too lazy to take the stinky diaper outside, just wrapping it in a grocery sack and throwing it in the trash can did the trick. That's a smart idea to just sell it on Craigslist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that I disagree. We made excellent use of our Diaper Genie and I was sad when it bit the dust after 2 years of use. To get to the dumpster at our old apartment you had to walk across the parking lot and our stairwell trapped in all odors, as evidenced by my upstairs neighbor's hockey bag that he would leave outside their front door. I couldn't do that to innocent passersby. And, as it was not always easy to get Peter to cooperate and go to the dumpster with me, especially once my doctor said I couldn't lift him anymore while I was pregnant, I was very thankful for our Diaper Genie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like it will be so useful....and I guess to some people it is, but for the rest of us we just wasted a lot of money on a stupid product!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Complete waste of money--good thing we didn't actually buy one. Dan's sister gave us her "gently" used one (which disgusts me even more). Seriously the stinkiest thing ever invented. Here in Cleveland we have what's called a diaper drop. You drop the diapers out the second floor window into a garbage can below--works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit, I liked ours when we just had Kaitlyn and lived in a big apartment complex where the dumpster was on the other side of the complex. But once we moved into a house, it became pointless. I could just walk to the garage and toss it in our big trash can. In fact, I'm not sure why we've kept ours for the past three and a half years when we're probably never going to use it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate the diaper genie. I think wrapping your diaper in an old grocery sack is much more effective :) Also, I never had a changing table with my boys. I'm more of a change them wherever we happen to be kinda gal. With the genie I'd change the diaper in the living room then have to go throw the stupid diaper away in the baby room. Much easier just to wrap in a bag, throw in the trash, and take out later in the day...and much less stinky too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you Cristin. Big waste of money. We just use the grocery sack. But then there are those days where I forget to take that sack out cause I'm chasing Zachary all over the place. Then I get that gentle smack in the face when we walk in the house....oh that smell is so pleasant! BLAH!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never used one.. I almost bought one, then when I looked at how it worked I thought, "This is stupid! I'm not paying 30 bucks for this!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also have a diaper genie. I HARLEY EVER USE IT. Since we are renting a house we just take the "bad" diapers outside. Maybe we would have used it more if we lived in an apartment.. (it's a thought)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails