3.11.2008

WHAT DO YOU CALL YOUR GRANDPARENTS?

We are experiencing some "MAJOR" family drama right now.

QUICK POLL:




What name does this woman (my mother) look like to you?

a. Grandma
b. Mormor
c. Captain McGuillicutty
d. Alcoholly
e. You don't really care... let her pick her own name!

From what I understand, it is a big sense of pride for grandparents to choose their name. For example, my grandparents have chosen to be called Mimi, Papa, Grandaddy and Lollie. Luke's grandparents have chosen Gramma, Gramps, Grandpa and Grandma. While in Arizona a few weeks ago, we noticed that Luke calls all his grandparents the exact same thing, "Fra Fra." This sounds very similar to the danish word for father's father, "Farfar." This gave my mother the idea to change her name to "Mormor," which is the danish word for mother's mother. She is considering this for two reasons: 1) She has all girls, so Mormor would apply to all the grandkids. 2) Luke can say it very well. I told her that whatever she chooses, she better do so fast because her window of opportunity is quickly closing. (Luke is the oldest grandchild and pretty soon whatever name she chooses is going to stick, if it hasn't already.)

My sisters are freaking out. You would think that my mother was asking them to change their names. I'll admit, at first I thought Mormor sounded stupid too (especially because we're not danish), but then Erik said he thought it was cute and it was her right to have whatever grandparent name she wanted. I thought about it, and he's totally right. I also like that Luke can say it. Plus differentiating between the Gramma (Lassen) and Grandma (Goodrich) was getting confusing. My sisters think my Mom asking the grandkids to call her Mormor is the first step in her becoming like Lollie - who by the way if anyone is dying for an update - has been moved to a real psychiatric hospital, told the nurses that Elaine (her given name) is dead, and that she will now be known as "Alcohoholly." So, at least my mom is not considering Alcohoholly as her grandparent name. Besides being weird, it's already taken in the family and if there were two Alcohollies, that would really confuse Luke.

18 comments:

  1. First, I think she should choose her own name...my mom was Grandma Kim (and even though she's dead, that's still how she's referred to) and that was her choice.

    Second, I almost peed my pants from laughing at the last paragraph. You are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have this same problem. Basically, both sets of grandparents are "grandma" and "grandpa" and we specify their last name when necessary. That's how it was with my own grandparents as well. But my son doesn't get it. He's almost 4 and he refers to them as "the grandma with two stairs," "the grandma that says "ah oh spaghetti ohs," etc. More recently, it's "the grandma who came in the middle" from when the baby was born and first my mother in law came, then my mom, then the baby went to the hospital and my mother in law came back. Obviously calling them JUST "grandma" and just "grandpa" isn't working for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing up we always called my grandparents by Grandma (Last name) and Grandpa (Last name). It worked and I thought everyone did it. But...why not let the grandchildren call them whatever they can. My sister used to call them "Gan-Qwa" because grandpa was too hard to say. Let the name form itself if no decision can be made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that the way the names usually came into being were by what the first grandchild called them and a conscious decision of the grandparents to either name themselves or let the child name them. Lately Larry's dad's name has changed from Grandpa to Beeba, because that is what Calli calls him and he thought it was cute, so that's his new name. I like having different names for all the grandparents- it kind of gives some extra character, and I think Mormor is cute- your sisters will get used to it, or get over it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents go by grandma and grandpa. Andrew's parents were deemed with the names nanna and dadda by the first grandson on that side. This was fine, until Carson started to get confused by dadda and daddy. So we are trying to work on that. I think it would be funny to call him "Ernie", which is his name. I don't know how he would like that. Maybe I'll suggest alcoholly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (this is Kelley's friend)...Tell your mom I love her! I think the name Mormor is cute. My oldest son, Julien, is the first grandchild on my side of the family and he named my dad. My dad has an unusual name to begin with (Pliny..it's greek, I think), but when Julien was little he called him "Pakki" (Pockey). So he has been "Papa Pakki" ever since. Now my dad won't even let us say his real name around my kids, because he takes so much pride in his nick name. Grandparents are so cute! I think, anyway. Now for alcoholly....my kids could for sure name one of their grandmas that...it fits all to well; and it isn't taken in our family. haha. By the way, I added you to my list because your blog is always entertaining, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that the kids should pick the name. I have taught mine Grandma and Grandpa (using their last names) but however my kids pronounce it, is how it stays. Heck for Ethan right now still learning gender...all the grandparents are "grandma" and "she".

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was much easier for our family growing up since my dad is from Latvia (small country next to Russia) and so his parents were the names for grandparents over there - vecpap and vecmam (pronounced vetspop and vetsmom). So then my mom's parent were naturally gran'ma and gran'pa. It's been a bit more confusing since we had kids! But Nate's dad has always been Pompa since the first grandchild called him that when she was little and couldn't pronounce gran'pa. I think Mormor is cute! But you're right, now is the time to decide! And Alchoholly? I couldn't stop laughing over that story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't stop laughing when I read this...my mom was in denial the whole time I was pregnant. She said she was not old enough to be a grandma. From the time I told her I was pregnant she has been trying to find a name for the baby to call her. I have heard some pretty strange ones, at least your mom is using a real word!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How about "Fer-fer" or "Baki"? For the younger grandchildren that come along and have to use some other elder grandchild's messed up LAME name...I think it's...well LAME...(being a mother of the younger grandchildren)...your mom can use whatever name she wants...just know that kids might have something different in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hearing that a lot of you all have funny names for grandparents I am starting to think that "Mormor" isn't soo bad. Its just the fact that we arn't danish- thats what I don't like about it. Agh...

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mom, a brand new grandma, insists on being called "Grandmama." It's been her lifelong dream.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your grandma's name is Elaine? I didn't know that!! So my nephew calls his grandma "Grandma Joan" (her name) and his grandpa "Grandpa Joan." Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay Cristin.. You win. I told Mom she had to choose her name, but it just sounded so wierd that I was worried she would regret it later on. But if thats what she really wants, then Mormor It is! Hey I tagged you so get the questions from my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like Captain McGuillicutty. I think that is the perfect Grandma's name.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with Candace. I vote for Cpt. McGuillicutty, but Mormor is cool, too. Jeremy's dad did that same thing. At first we called him Daddy Rabbit, but then he chose Pappy when Cozette was about 3.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have to comment on this one too. We were just at a shower on Wednesday talking about this. I have always had grandma insert-last-name. However my mom is called Grammy and Alex's mom is Mammy. Then my dad is Papa-G. It's his rap name. It will be interesting when Aidan starts calling them by their names. I can't wait till he's at the park and yells out, "Papa-G". There's some interesting names out there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks all of you for your great opinion.
    I love my grand parents more than my parents,I called Baba to my grandpa and dadho to my grandma..I thinks its loving name for grandparents..

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails