3.05.2008

REGRETS

One of the most common questions I get asked (besides "How do you drain the AquaDoula?) is, "What are you going to differently with your second child?" One of my biggest problems with Luke was a serious lack of sleep. I was waking up at least twice a night until he was 1, which also meant that I was walking around in a daze for the first year. One of the new things I am doing with Baby #2 is buying an Arm's Reach Co-sleeper with the hopes that if I don't have to really get up to nurse the baby at night, the lack of sleep won't effect me as much. If it doesn't work, these co-sleepers have great resale value on Ebay. Win-win.

When Luke was around 9 months old and I was really struggling with getting him to sleep for more than a 3 hour stretch, I took on a suggestion in Elizabeth Pantley's book, "The No Cry Sleep Solution," to give my child something that would remind him of me while he slept. I chose one of my slips. I knew many other kids who had "silkies," so it just seemed natural for Luke to have one too. This helped tremendously and Luke started sleeping for longer stretches. Who would have thought back then that his silky (or "gilky" as he calls it) would evolve into what seems like a "third member" of our family.


Luke seriously treats his silky like a pet. He calls out for it and shows it off to everyone. When Luke and Silky are reunited, he embraces it. He also likes to suck on it (see above). When I put it in the washer and dryer, he cries. (Believe me, that thing is FILTHY.) I tried to actually use it as a slip a few weeks back and he screamed the entire time at church because he knew I had it on. I wanted to scream too because it wasn't until I got to church that it dawned on me that I was wearing a dirty slip drenched in saliva that stunk like rotten milk and goldfish crackers.

I still believe that giving Luke something was pivotal in helping him sleep longer, I just wish it could have been something cuter. I think it's adorable when kids have cute "blankies" or stuffed animals, but ladies lingerie is really embarrassing. When he stands on the pew during sacrament meeting, waving his silky above his head at the people behind us, I just want to curl up and melt into the seat. For every well meaning person who has come up to me to say their child did the same thing, I'm sure there are at least ten people thinking why on earth would I allow my child to bring ladies underwear to church. (I'm thinking the same thing people. The answer: DESPERATION.)

I recently tried going to a fabric store in an effort to make something that resembled the silky for him. No such luck. I had Luke feel a few fabrics and he could not be fooled. Another option is sewing a zebra head or something else "cutesy" on the slip so as to make it not look so bad.

So, back to answering the question of what I will do differently with the next one: I will not be giving Baby #2 anything that I wouldn't want him walking around with in public (i.e., my slip).

13 comments:

  1. Try cutting the slip into just a piece of fabric, i.e. remove the elastic waist and trim at the bottom. Then it just looks like a piece of black silk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree completely. make it into a square of silk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED my co-sleeper. Unfortunately I didn't discover them until our fourth and last baby. It helped so much. I know I slept great without worrying that I'd roll over on him. Good luck with the silky slip dilema. I love the zebra head idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think those co-sleepers are such a good idea! It gives you the convenience of your baby being right there, but you don't have to be paranoid you are going to roll all over them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zach surprised me and bought that book for me. I can't wait for it to get here! I'm so desperate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm laughing at Luke's "silky". Owen has a blanket that's silky on one side and fuzzy on the other - actually he has three b/c he refuses to sleep without them. It could be worse. My sister-in-law used a piece of her old garment top after she destroyed the rest (I would have NEVER thought to do that and am NOT recommending anyone else do it) and it looked like this junky piece of silky fabric and then she could never tell anyone what it really was.

    I've heard great things about the co-sleeper. I'm a huge fan of co-sleeping. Hayden was also a huge fan (he still sneaks into our bed sometimes in the middle of the night but it's more rare now). Owen is not a fan of co-sleeping and if you try and sleep next to him he pinches your nose shut b/c I think the breathing bothers him. He also loves to slap you in the face while you're sleeping :). He sleeps in his crib for the good of the family. We'll see what #3 decides to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE my co-sleeper. The best thing we discovered for our babies was being swaddled like a tightly wrapped burrito while they slept. A great video to check out is "The Happiest Baby on The Block". It worked for both our kids so far and we'll use it for #3. Also, my youngest brother used one of my mom's light blue camisole tops for his silky. (Complete with lace & spaghetti straps). A black slip is not too bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the silky is so funny. I get that kids get so attached to things, and luckily Luke is attached to something that is dark and if wadded up can't be deciphered into a ladies garment. Do you think he would become upset if you manipulated it at all? I like the idea of that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think my niece made a blanket out of her garment-top or out of similar material and her son couldn't live without it. I never would have known what it was made of if she hadn't told me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm laughing outloud right now, Cristin! You are so funny!
    (once when Hans was at church, he had my garment top and threw it behind us over the bench!!! not good!!!)
    Been there done that with the silky business!
    Love you,
    mama lassen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let how know how the co-sleeper works out. I was really interested in one when we have Lizette, they are just really expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you get a mini-co-sleeper like we did, my tip is to use king sized pillow cases for the sheets because the official velcro-y ones cost an arm and a leg.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Becky - That is SUCH a good idea to use king sized pillow cases for sheets. I am definitely doing that. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails