3.17.2008

MOVIE REVIEW: DAN IN REAL LIFE


We rented "Dan in Real Life" this weekend. Very predictable, but let's just say I was entertained enough to not fall asleep during the movie, which lately has been a big problem for me. Steve Carell actually seemed to be acting like a different character than his Office persona, which is always a nice change. I did find the whole shower scene pretty unbelievable, however. Yet, other than that, I enjoyed it a lot more than other Steve Carell movies, like the ridiculous, "Evan Almighty."

The best part of the movie was not actually in the movie, but something Erik said while we were watching it.

Erik: This is good, but I find it very hard to believe that anyone's family would spend that much time together.

Me: (Spitting out my water) Seriously? Did you just say that? Excuse me?? Are we not in the same Lassen family?
If you haven't seen the movie, I am giving nothing away by telling you that Steve Carell's character spends a week with his extended family. They play football, go kayaking, exercise, have crossword competitions, do each other's hair, eat every meal together, go bowling, tour lighthouses, etc. Perhaps the Lassen family doesn't do things like tour lighthouses, but we really do spend that amount of time together. Good thing I really like my in-laws, huh?

GRADE: B

13 comments:

  1. The movie was pretty funny, I didn't think I would like it, but I actually laughed quite a bit. Plus he drives a diesel Mercedes in the movie, so that made it good just on that point. The comical irony of the main story is the funniest part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we just watched it the other night and I really liked it too- Larry and I laughed at a bunch of parts and Larry is still saying "this corn is an angel" at random times during our meals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny--we just rented that the other night and enjoyed it too. It was kind of painful in the "I know this is going to involve a lot of awkward situations and oh! how we wish we could avoid them," but not dirty, not uncomfortable, and overall a good little flick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We tried to rent this movie on Saturday, but they were all out maybe this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked it too.. though I missed the part when he meets the main girl. I still want to see i again. (Caitlin)

    ReplyDelete
  6. (kelley) I liked it a lot. I laughed- I cried- but I always cry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily and I were entertained but were criticizing the whole "love" nonsense. Even at the end of the movie he barely knew Marie still. He had no real way of knowing how she would be in day-to-day life, etc. We almost turned it off out of frustration, but stuck through it and were entertained by it. Worth watching. It was funny and predictable with some good scenes. The corn angel comment is good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted to see this movie, but not enough to pay to see it in the theater...I guess I will give it a shot on my netflix. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good thing you love your in-laws:-}
    cause we sure love you! I'll have to rent this...we could use a good, entertaining movie...nothing heavy.

    mom lassen

    ReplyDelete
  10. oops these last comments came up as if from steffen...they're not...it's me, I'm just signed into his account so I could update his blog...sorry!

    mom lassen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is Kelley Pregnant? IS that why she cries all the time?

    ReplyDelete
  12. We watched this movie last night and laughed a lot too. One of my favorites was "YOU ARE A MURDERER OF LOVE". "I have a talent...put me down for 'murderer of love'". I don't want my daughters to become teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, so I thought this was a good movie too, but I needed a second opinion. you know, from somebody more spiritual than me. so i look on the web for LDS comments on it. Who would have ever thought that I would find comments from your family. Pretty wierd. This is Craig Hales, by the way. and, uh, I'm still in Alabama. Thanks for the comments. Later dudes.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails