3.01.2008

THE BIG QUESTION OF THE DAY


Is it worth it to renew my Costco membership?

We've had a Costco membership for the past 4 years because we got it through work or as a gift, but now, for the first time, we need to decide whether or not it is worth it for us to shell out $50 to pay for it.

I currently shop there twice a month. I buy a lot of things there, but that's not to say I couldn't get the same deals elsewhere. Do I have some brand loyalty to Kirkland? Probably more than I'd like to admit. We can't fill up one of our cars there because they don't sell diesel. Although we don't have a huge family that requires wholesale sizes of products, I still enjoy buying the big things of cheese, Cheerios, eggs, butter, etc. Baby wipes, garbage bags, and paper towels seem cheap, but that could also be my imagination.

I think that a major indication that you are a full fledged adult is if you pay for your own Costco membership. I don't know if I'm ready to enter that phase of adulthood yet.
Plus, whenever I am in Costco I see all these really big people with really big backsides pushing around really big shopping carts full of really big bags of pork rinds. Am I destined to turn into "that" if I keep shopping there? Adulthood is so scary.

12 comments:

  1. I think motherhood of one definitely doesn't constitute being an adult. No way. TWO, though...it's a big step. And with it should come: paying for your own membership. : )

    I vote yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're already 30; the pork rinds and the large backside should be showing up in the mail soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So maybe you arn't pushing around pork rinds, but I bet you have the 40 pack of toilet paper.. and you have fat face :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say continue with the Costco Membership. I totally think it is worth it. I did a spread sheet on cost of Costco to other grocery stores (I know I am a dork) but for some things it is cheaper.

    I also have to only bring my Costco card and Cash to Costco or I will buy more things than I need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA! This post is perfect for us! We are in the exact same position! Our membership expired in January. Mom gave it to us as a Christmas gift and now I'm debating whether or not it's worth to renew. I really don't shop there that much. I mainly go there for diapers frozen fruit and veggies, water, oh and We ALWAYS go there for Lunch! haha So is it worth it? I don't really know because we can still get a polish sausage and soda for 1.50 with out a card! (Caitlin) ...hmm but Zach does get his contacts from Costco.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (Cristin's mom) Can I trade problems with you? I'll take two of yours---the dilemma of the non-sleepy child and the Costco membership---for one of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. is this a plea for someone to gift you w/ a renewed membership? or to take up collections from your reader's? :) we're sort of in a similar boat, only w/ sam's club and we don't have our own membership, i'm the second person on my dad's. we don't use to super often now because we don't have one in town. but i get my tires there (with free rotation) and car batteries along with the big stuff like diapers, etc. i used it a ton when i had more freezer space and it was closer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. With 2 kids in diapers - costco is a must! Plus...I love their Grand Parisian salad bags!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ours recently expired and we went through the same debate... I finally caved in because I was CRAVING their Grand Parisian salad and dried mangoes (neither of which I believe are actually healthy, but they taste so good). It was worth the fifty bucks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess I can't have an opinion because I'm not an adult. We are under my dad's business membership.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My giving dad has continued to pay for mine for the last 8+ years. I hope that it isn't considered "mooching" if I keep letting him do it. But I believe that it is the best for diapers and wipes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are on my mom's business card and if she ever got rid of it I would absolutely cry! We don't go there often, but when we do it's a lifesaver. I am the one with the big pack of toilet paper, paper towels, chocolate chip cookies and a rotisserie chicken. Those 3 things are a staple in our Costco shopping. Baby wipes are a big one too. I say keep it, but that's easy for me to say seeing as I don't pay for my membership.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails