2.04.2008

RUMOR CONTROL!

I can not wait till Super Tuesday. I'm nervous for Romney, but really excited. I think he has a good shot at winning a majority of California's Republican delegates. Recent polls are now showing Romney ahead by 6 points here. Since I have been reading so much, I have decided to do a little rumor control for all the candidates. It's been fun researching the strange e-mail forwards I get about particular candidates. I'm trying not to make this a biased post, but it's hard not to when I dislike McCain SO much. Here's what I discovered:

MYTH #1: McCain almost left the Republican Party in 2001.

UNKNOWN. Although McCain disputes this ever happening, numerous witnesses claim to have spoken with him about this. Another rumor is that John Kerry wanted Mc Cain to be his VP. Source: The Hill, "Democrats Say McCain Nearly Abandoned GOP," 3/28/07)

MYTH #2: Barack Hussein Obama is a radical Muslim. When he was sworn into office he did not use the Bible, but the Koran. He also refuses to say the pledge of allegiance.

FALSE.
Obama lived in Indonesia as a child, from 1967 to 1971, where he attended a Muslim school. However, it was a school that accepted all faiths. (Source: CNN, "CNN Debunks False Report About Obama," 1/23/07) Here is Obama addressing the rumors during the January 15th debate:



MYTH #3: John McCain's wife was addicted to painkillers and stole them from her own non-profit organization.

TRUE. In 1989, Cindy McCain became addicted to painkillers such as Percocet and Vicodin. She later attributed her addiction to emotional stress during her husband's entanglement in the Keating Five scandal of that time, which also involved her role as a bookkeeper who had difficulty finding receipts of Keating-related expenses. The addiction progressed to the point where she resorted to stealing drugs from a non-profit organization she formed that organized trips for doctors and other medical personnel to provide medical care to disaster-struck or third world countries. In 1992, McCain's parents staged an intervention to force her to get help. She attended a drug treament facility, began outpatient sessions, and ended her three years of addiction. (Source: Arizona Republic, "Overcoming Scandal, Moving On,"3/1/07)

MYTH #4: Barack Obama and Dick Cheney are cousins.

TRUE.
Obama and Cheney are 8th cousins. Whoop-te-do. I don't see what the big deal is about this one. 8th cousins doesn't exactly seem close to me. (Source: MSNBC, "Lynne Cheney: VP, Obama are Eighth Cousins",10/17/07)

MYTH #5: Obama was a member of a black supremacy group in his 20's.

FALSE. Sorry, I can't find anything to confirm this. Only that the church he belongs to now, Trinity United Church of Christ, states on their website that they are "unashamedly black and unapologetically Christian." I suppose there really isn't anything wrong with their claims of being "unashamedly black," however, it does seem a bit like a double standard. Imagine how angry people would be if Huckabee attended a church that was "unashamedly white." You see what I'm saying? (Source: Time Magazine, "My Spiritual Journey," 10/16/06 and Trinity United Church of Christ Homepage)

MYTH #6: McCain is the real "Manchurian Candidate."

UNKNOWN. This is one of my favorite rumors because it is so funny. For those unfamiliar with the movie "The Manchurian Candidate," the film is about this platoon of men serving during the Korean War who are brainwashed (as POW's) with the aim of having a political assassin well positioned in American political circles. You could also think of this as a play on the motives behind Derek Zoolander's brainwashing in "Zoolander." I really can't find anything substantial enough to put here to refute or support this myth, except for the thought that he has been pretty relentless in his pursuit to become president. Is there communist brainwashing behind the madness?

MYTH #7: According to Erik's former college roommate's brother's uncle's friend, Hilary "plays for the other team" and only stays married to Slick Willie because it is politically advantageous to do so.

UNKNOWN.
I can't find any credible evidence to support this myth, but Erik promises its true.

MYTH #8: McCain has a notoriously bad temper.

SORT OF TRUE. Here's a story about a "McCain Moment" -




MYTH #9: The reason the vast majority of America's conservative talk radio hosts aren't endorsing Mike Huckabee or John McCain is because Mitt Romney's investment firm, Bain Capital, owns a significant share of Clear Channel Communications, the nation's largest radio syndication company. Clear Channel Communications broadcasts The Sean Hannity Show and The Rush Limbaugh Show, both whom have either endorsed or strongly supported Romney.

It is TRUE that Bain Capital did acquire Clear Channel in 2006. They do broadcast the shows of Limbaugh and Hannity. However, it is UNKNOWN if Romney is literally buying the votes of America's most conservative talk show hosts. I really don't know how you could confirm this without actual bribery. Plus, this allegation has been coming out of Huckabee's campaign and everyone knows he's just bitter. Give it up, Huck. (Source: Clear Channel Corporate Press Release, 11/16/06) My mom just sent me this e-mail: "I just heard Romney on Sean Hannity show. He said that he left Bain in 1999. Sean said that his company is not owned by Clear Channel, though some affliates who run the show are. Rush Limbaugh said it is not a done deal--the Bain purchase."

9 comments:

  1. Interesting post. I'd heard about Obama being Muslim, and then I just went to Wikipedia to figure that one out. However, I can't "dis" McCain for having a bad temper because my dad has a hot temper, but yet he's very successful, and he works hard. However, the leaving the GOP thing has really bothered me lately. I don't like the idea of a candidate running for a political party that he may not believe in. Hmm. . . so much to think about before tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I just watched the video , and I agree that the word McCain used is VERY inappropriate to say to anybody. I don't care how angry you are, that word should be off-limits to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cristin this is great, I've heard some of these rumors and have been meaning to look them up, thanks for saving me some time and keeping us all informed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cristin, thank you for doing the research the rest of us were too lazy to do. That was impressive. You rock. I was almost considering fasting or something- is that aloud for politics? Would that be sacreligious? Hmmmm.... Have fun voting for MITT tomorrow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Caitlin) Zach got an email about Obama being a Muslim and I said it most likely was junk. So thanks for clarifying that. As far as myth #7, I've believed that this whole election!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Classic as always...I feel good knowing that I might not get to watch tv...but who needs to when you have tales from an ordinary housewife to read????!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow cristin, you had to have spent days, maybe even weeks doing that post

    ReplyDelete
  8. Know that this is pretty far down on your blog. I wanted to make a comment about Myth #4. I think why 8th cousins doesn't seem that close to you is because your parents are first cousins...

    (60-40)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails