2.11.2008

MOVIE REVIEW: JUNO


I genuinely enjoyed "Juno." The writing was sharp and Erik was laughing so hard at one point that I thought he was going to hyperventilate. The acting was great and the best part is that even though the movie started at 10:15 p.m., it was entertaining enough to keep me from falling asleep! I typically doze off during any movie that begins after 10 p.m. (I sound like an old person, huh?)

Lots of people have asked me if "Juno" had a good message. I don't know if I would really consider it a "message" movie. I mean, it's definitely pro-life and pro-adoption - but I saw the whole thing more as entertainment than some sort of after school special. It definitely has some "independent film" quirkiness that might turn some people off.

SPOILER ALERT: For those of you who don't know the story - Juno, age 16, gets pregnant. She thinks about having an abortion, but then decides to give the baby up for adoption. She answers an adoption ad placed by a married couple (Jason Bateman and Jennifer Garner) in the Penny Saver. The whole thing was pretty touching. I believed that Juno was sincerely naive when it came to friendships with married men. Jason Bateman really was kind of creepy and had issues. Jennifer Garner convinced me that she was "born to be a mother." I told my sisters that if this movie had an affair (like "Waitress") then I wouldn't go see it. Fortunately, this movie doesn't, which made me even happier about how it all plays out.

Now, here's my disclaimer: Although I really did like the movie and it has a sweet ending, I hesitate recommending it. The language is pretty harsh. Not your typical cuss words, but more like how a disillusioned and intelligent 16 year old who got herself pregnant would talk. We've all been to high school, so you should know what I mean. Then again, I don't know how they could have made a convincing movie without having Juno speak the way she did.

GRADE: A

10 comments:

  1. Yes, good movie, but like always there was bad language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it. cried at the end. I too thought the acting was fantastic and very believable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone went without me (typical) anyway...matt's favorite line was "it ain't no etch-a-sketch...whatchyou done can't be undone home skillet"...so was that eriks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I wish you would like The Waitress. I liked both movies a lot (juno a bit more [I'm a big fan of the "indie"-ness and fantastic music selections), and I was sad you didn't like The Waitress. That waitress...she did the right thing in the end. And Andy Griffith? What a sweet, amazing man. I saw the movie after your review of it, expecting not to like it, but did. But I'll still read your blog, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Camille - I've found that I'm in the minority when it comes to my feelings about "Waitress." I just have a hard time with most adultery movies.

    Megan - There was one part when Juno tells her dad and step-mom who the father of the baby is and her dad says something like, "Didn't think he had it in him." and then there was something else the dad said about Juno being "Cut up from the Rug up" and Erik was dying. He pretty much laughed at anything the dad said. You should see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember seeing the previews from this movie, and I was nervous about seeing it because it's about adoption; and I'm not sure how I would take it if she decided to not give her baby up in the end. So I had to ask somebody who's seen it, and now I think I might be able to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting fact: Juno was written by a ex-stripper. We all have to get our start somehow, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've read some good reviews of this movie.

    jamie-love your interesting fact.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The acting was so good in this movie that it made me believe the movie was written specifically for Ellen Page. I don't know another actress that could pull off Juno the way she did.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i assumed Juno was directed by the same guy that directed Knocked Up because it's about an unexpected pregnancy, and Michael Cera stars as Juno's boyfriend (he was one of the goofy kids from Superbad, a close relative of Knocked Up), but it turns out this is not the case... all in all the movie had in interesting/unique style

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails