1.12.2008

VEGGIE TALES

Today we drove down the street and picked up our first week of fresh produce from Abundant Harvest Organics. I signed up for their weekly service a few weeks ago and was really looking forward to finding out what we would get in our first box. We're paying $16 per week for a small box (feeds a family of 1-2) of fresh organic and seasonal produce from family farms around California.

Here's what we got in our first week's box:

Mandarin Oranges
Fuji Apples
Kiwis
Russet Potatoes
Garlic
Red Onions
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Carrots
Red Lettuce
Turnips
Arugula

Needless to say, I am very pleased with the selection and quality. It's true that I wouldn't normally buy things like brussel sprouts and arugula, but I'm hoping that by doing this we will be encouraged to eat more produce and try new things. (It also helps that they hand out things like recipes and instructions on the correct way to cook brussel sprouts at the time of pick-up). Plus, since I am so cheap, I did a quick calculation of how much all this organic stuff would cost me at the grocery store, and this is a great deal... not to mention really fresh and convenient!

They have things you can add on to your weekly order like brown eggs, organic skinless chicken breast, grape juice and organic milk, but I don't think we're to that point yet. This could really get expensive if I'm not careful!

13 comments:

  1. What a great find! Our goal is to eat more produce, too. That's one great advantage of living in CA -- great selection of good produce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I'm making homemade chcken noodle soup right now and I never realized how cheap it is to buy a whole chicken! From now on I'm only buying a whole chicken and putting it in the crock pot every time. It's so easy and tastes soo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really great. I think I would like to take advantage more often of farmers' markets. I would love to support local growers since they are all around here in southern CA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked seeing this. I really want to do something like that this summer. We are thinking of doing one of those community farming co-op things. I can't think of what they are called right now. Basically, we would go to a farm and help tend gardens, milk cows, etc. and pay a certain amount to take home our portion. Sometimes I REALLY miss Camarillo. Usually around June especially with the strawberry season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of the produce looks so good!! The produce here in Georgia is not good at all. I wish I would have taken more care in So Cal when the produce is just excellent. Here I would rather just buy frozen!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is great! I've been wanting to do get an organic produce box as well but they're expensive here...or at least I haven't found anything cheap enough. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! How did you find out that they had that program in your area? I wonder if they'd have something like that around here (especially since Salinas is right next door and it's a huge farming community like Oxnard).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susanne - I bet they might even have the SAME program in your area. If you go to their website, http://www.abundantharvestorganics.com/, a lot of the produce is coming from the Gilroy and Hollister area. If you're interested, you could sign up to see it's in your area. If it's not they are looking for "community hosts" - which also pays a little bit.

    A friend from church told me about it. Anyway, let me know if it's in your area! As we eat more and more of what we got, it is not only a good price, but REALLY GOOD tasting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awsome produce! I'm so sorry about Luke's finger! I think I would have been totally in shock seeing it like that! Good thing Erik was there and can handle that kind of stuff! Can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is really cool how did you find that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love such colorful fruits and vegetables! Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 16 dollars a week? That seems expensive to me! I can't believe you would actually pay that much

    ReplyDelete
  13. How great! Brussell sprouts are good when cooked right. Argula is good for you but I haven't found the right way to appeal to my taste buds. I buy organic if possible because I don't need any additional hormones.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails