1.11.2008

THIS WILL PROBABLY MAKE HIM BE LEFT HANDED

Last night after dinner, Luke pinched the pinky finger of his right hand in between the sliding glass doors in our kitchen. It wasn't pretty. His finger, at the base of the nail, was hanging on by a small thread of skin (or at least that's what Erik tells me because I couldn't look at it). We rushed down the street to the Tehachapi Hospital (very similar to the Appalachian Emergency Room skit on SNL*), and had him all stitched up. The worst part was the screaming and blood. The hospital staff tried to restrain him, but he kept breaking out of the papoose they had him strapped to. They sedated him during the stitches, but he was still awake and screaming while his eyes were zooming around from the drugs. He kept screaming, "Go Bye BYE!", "Oy OY!" (which means OUT in Luke-speak), and "On!!" (which means OFF, because he gets those 2 words confused). It was really unsettling to him see him so upset. I did not enjoy it.

Our big concern has been how to keep him from picking at his wounded hand. They bandaged it up pretty well, but he can still undo it if we don't watch him 24-7. We put a bright orange sock with dinosaurs over it and he seems to really like it. In fact, when we remove the sock to look at his hand, he gets mad because he wants it back on! He keeps punching us with the wounded hand, holding it up and saying, "Ouchie!"


Another way to distract him from playing with his wound has been to let him have almost anything he wants. For example, he got to eat steak and Elmo cookies for lunch, and then we let him watch Finding Nemo while sitting in the dirty clothes hamper (his favorite place to relax). He was really happy.


This has brought to our attention the need for an emergency plan. I'm sure this won't be our only visit to the E.R. Luckily, Erik and I were both home when this accident happened. Erik had to hold Luke so tightly to keep his finger from flying off, that it would have been impossible for just one person to hold him and drive at the same time. I don't even know how one person would have held his finger together and made a phone call for help.

I need to have a good mental list of who I will call if something like this happens again if I am alone with Luke. Many of my good friends here also have small children and that would make it hard for them to help me in an emergency like this, so I need to think of women with older children or no children who are home during the day to call. We also decided that we need to put things like tape, screwdrivers and popsicle sticks in a common area so we can get to them quickly if necessary. (The tape and popsicle sticks would be used for salvaging digits, and we've used the screwdriver before to get Luke's limbs unstuck from strange places in the house.)

So, yay for stitches and antibiotics, and boo for mean sliding glass doors that try to eat little boy's fingers!

*Alright, the Tehachapi Hospital wasn't that bad. The staff was nice, but the waiting room was itsy bitsy, like maybe 8' x 10', and the hospital only has 3 beds. I am just grateful that we only live a 1/2 mile away from it.

15 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! What a scary experience!! I'm glad Erik was there when it happened. I think I would have passed out if I saw something like that. I hope Luke's finger heals well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am avoiding ever owning a home with a sliding glass door! I wonder if he stays away from it (the door) for awhile. I love that "letting him do whatever he wants" is hanging out in a hamper while watching finding Nemo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor, poor Luke! And poor you! It's so hard to hold your child down and induce (at least it feels that way) more screaming.

    It's ironic that this happened to you because just last night I was reading an article about this type of accident.

    ReplyDelete
  4. poor luke. hilarious about the favorite spot to watch movies being in the hamper. and the orange dinosaur sock is awesome.

    i have a plan (sort of) for if i go into labor during the day. but all of a sudden the other night i started panicking about what i'll do with my kids if i go into labor in the middle of the night. there's the whole... all my friends have little kids or their own dilemma. what to do, what to do? and I still haven't figured it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Caitlin, of course) poor Luke! I'm glad he was able to keep his finger! I can't believe you let him watch TV!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Wow...poor baby and poor mommy. It sounds awful. Hopefully it will heal quick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ouch! Having to deal with a hurt baby is one of my worst nightmares! How did he pinch his fingers- I mean, what happened exactly?
    Glad you could get it taken care of so quickly- now you are an official mom, taking your child on his first trip to the ER and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay--the hamper picture made my week!!! (love the zoned out look too...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This made me laugh so hard. not the fact that little luke got hurt, but his recovery. "He got to eat steak and Elmo cookies". Steak?! I love it. Steak. Did he ask for steak?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That must have been soooo scary! Thank goodness Erik was home to help you. Although if it were me, and I was alone with the kids, I would definitely call 911 in a situation like that. I hope he heals quickly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trine - He was pushing the sliding glass door shut from the middle (where the 2 doors cross) and got his finger stuck in it. Does that make any sense or is it now more confusing?

    Jamie - He didn't say steak, but he pointed at the BBQ and said "Meat! Meat!" I know, funny, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ouchie is right! Poor baby! I just got that yucky feeling in my chest thinking about it. Glad to see that you have found ways to make the best out of a bad situation. I will remember to ask to sit in the hamper next time I have an owie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man, thats suckzorz. Did it actually go through the bone and stuff, really just hanging on by skin?

    There's much worse that could happen than being left handed, like being right handed!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh. Poor Luke. I can't even think about this without my body tingling. I'm glad you were both home and he got stitched up okay.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sorry to hear about his ouchie.. That was a good one.. At least the sock helps him to feel a little better about it. Feel free to call my cell phone anytime something like this happens.. we are right around the corner from you, my work is less than a minute away and my boss really doesn't care if I pick up and leave at any moment (I do it all the time hehe.. )Oh and I don't have any kids yet. hehe.. Talk to you on Wed.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails