1.10.2008

ONE MAN'S JUNK IS ANOTHER MAN'S TREASURE

Or the alternative title for this post: ARE THESE PEOPLE DRUNK?

Like I mentioned before, I'm trying to get more organized. Part of this is going through what is in my house. If I haven't used it for 4+ years, then I am tossing it, giving it away to the Goodwill or selling it on Ebay. I am making very few exceptions to this rule. I have to, or I'll eventually turn into one of those people on Oprah who are unable to invite people over or walk through their living rooms because they have accumulated so much junk. Those "people" always say, "I don't know how this happened. It was soooo gradual." How scary! I could be turning into a junk recluse right now unless I stop the madness and throw things out!

I call selling things on Ebay "reverse gambling" because you really never know what is going to happen when you put something up for sale. You can research completed listings and take nice pictures, but sometimes things just don't sell for as much as you think they should, and then there are times, like this, when there must be a whole bunch of people on crazy pills bidding on my stuff.

The best example of crazy people bidding right now are these:

Our hometeacher gave us these strange S'more ornaments a few years back for Christmas. It was "nice", but every year I put them on the tree and think how weird they are so I figured I would just sell them. The last I checked, they are currently at $64.83 with 12 hours left. Not bad for junk I was this close to giving away to the Goodwill last week. I am now getting kind of worried that these people might be mad at me when they get the package and realize they just paid $60+ for some weird looking s'more ornaments. I better use bubble wrap.

I know other people have had much greater success with junk they found in their closets, such as my sister, Kelley, with her old clothes, or those people that list potato chips they found in their cupboards with an image of the "Virgin Mary," but since I was going to give this stuff away anyway, I was thinking just to get an extra $10 would be nice.

I love Ebay.

15 comments:

  1. Maybe those ornaments are some kind of collector's item. I just bought a baby bunting on ebay for Sara. It was a Ralph Lauren, and I won it for $1.50, after shipping it cost $5.00....but when the package yesterday the shpping tag said $7.50. She probably thought that a name brand would bring her more money, and ended paying more to get rid of it...like you said reverse gambling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so jealous... i always think i'll make a bundle off of stuff and then barely make anything. I think I've sold 6 things on ebay and made like $50 or so. I want to sell S'mores ornaments for $60+. One was even a collector's item bobblehead (sure, a giveaway at a Dodger's game), but one guy sold his for a ton and mine went for like $10.
    argh.
    but maybe i should hunt down all our weirdo stuff and try to sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha HA! Right now I'm picturing the type of people bidding on these ornaments. Similar to the D.I. ladies that show up 20 minutes before the store opens with their hands on the door handles, ready to push and shove their way to the carts where all the "good" stuff is. Ebay bag ladies. I know a lot of people out there collect Christmas stuff and ornaments and this could be the very sort of unique thing they were looking for to complete their 1000 piece snowman collection, but I think it's nuts that you are already at $64. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ebay too....sometimes I feel bad though (like you) for the amount of money people are paying for my junk! My neighbor was getting rid of all her crystal (just going to take it to the dump) and I told her i'd sell it on ebay for her. She thought it was so funny that someone would buy the stuff....she told me to keep whatever I made. I won't tell her I made over $100 on all her crystal...he he!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are yours?!



    Just kidding. What a way to earn some money! I'm too lazy to think about eBay -- I'm all about taking stuff to D.I.

    ReplyDelete
  6. man I LOVE EBAY!!!! That is awesome! Erik mist be lovin this. I need to start selling more stuff on ebay... and btw 10 days down and still have not bought clothes :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's hilarious! You're getting quite the profit from your gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dang it......I just gave a whole bag of "stuff" to a lupus donation this morning!! I gotta try out ebay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also need to try ebay as well. I think I just need to buckle down and do it. I too have tons of junk to get rid of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's crazy! I'm starting an ebay account.(Caitlin)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE eBay!!! It is awesome! Last year I decided to clean out my scrapbook supplies and I was just going to throw away all the crap I'd had for years. I made over $80 on some old stickers. I just couldn't believe that people would pay so much for this stuff. I ended up making over $500 in the end. Plus, I buy stuff on eBay occasionally. Like Gavin's halloween costume that I got for $7.00 with shipping that retailed for almost $40. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What did you finally get for the marshmallow couple? I am an ebayer and isn't it great when you get a great surprise sale for something you thought might not even sell?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I ended up getting $64.83 for the marshmallow ornaments. BUT what is even better is my total for the past week and a half of cleaning out my house is $400 - why would you ever give anything away?!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails