1.29.2008

I NEED A LOBOTOMY

Last week, American Experience on PBS was about the history of the lobotomy. It was pretty fascinating, except for the fact that I had to turn it off half-way through because the old fashioned surgeries were making me pretty queasy.

One of the first lobotomy patients was a 29 year old housewife and mother who was brought in to see the Lobotomist. All she kept saying was, "So tired. I am so tired. So tired. So very tired." The doctor then took her in the back room, operated on her brain and - boom - she was as good as new. American Experience interviewed her daughter who said, "It [the lobotomy] was a good thing. It brought my mother back to me."

The Actual Pre-Lobotomy Photo


This post-lobotomy picture proves that she at least had enough time to do her hair -



Well, if that's all it takes, then I NEED A LOBOTOMY. I am so tired. So tired. So very tired. It's unfortunate that in the wake of medications to treat mental illness that the lobotomy has received such a bad rap. It's like the option is to either take pills every day to treat your problem or a one-time screwdriver to the brain and you're all better. I don't know about you, but a one time deal sounds a lot better than a lifetime of remembering to take your meds.

Back to the tired business: Luke discovered how to escape out of his crib very gracefully and lightening fast, and one night this week he was up until 2:30 a.m going in and out of the crib, roaming the house, and pushing chairs everywhere to turn on light switches. I'm not sure how the evening ended, all I know is that I fell asleep and woke up with him on the pillow next to me, drooling in my face. (Erik took a drill to the crib the next night and created another hole to make the mattress even lower than it is supposed to go. I know we're avoiding the inevitable, but we're not ready to train him to sleep in a bed just yet.)

I have come to the realization that I will probably never stop being tired until my children like to sleep-in more than I do. Once we get Luke to sleep (and stay put) in a big boy bed, I will be waking with a newborn every 2 hours. When the new baby comes I will rarely be able to take naps because Luke is already taking them less and less. When everything seems to calm down, we will probably have another child and the cycle will begin again...

Where's that Lobotomist when you need him?

6 comments:

  1. Your blog makes me not want to have more children. I'm so kidding. I'm having sleeping issues with Bella right now and I'm about to go out of mind. just pretend he's teething and give him some baby orajel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Isaac is in a big boy bed, in fact I just got up to put him back in. We avoided it as long as possible, but he was jumping in and out of the crib so much, I was afraid he'd hurt himself more. The girls were so easy with the crib/bed transition. Not Isaac. The kids room has a sliding glass door out to it (yup we're white trash)and almost every night we have to move the love seat in front of the sliding glass door to keep Isaac in until he falls asleep. We are trying to hang onto naps too and one thing I've resorted back to recently was the burrito baby. If I can just get him warm enough and still enough for 2 minutes!!! he's out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Caitlin) I'm not joking when I tell you that I almost fell asleep at the grocery store tonight. As I was pushing the cart and my eyes kept closing I thought I was going to hit something or fall to the ground. I am so tired! so very tired! Your post scared me though. I can't believe Luke! haha.. Jonah had a fever today due to his shots he got yesterday and i am soo ready for a good night sleep.too bad thats not going to happen for a long time. As mothers we have to act alive every hour of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every morning I wish that I could sleep in a little longer. Most of the problem is my fault, I need to go to bed earlier, and like a stubborn child I just refuse to do it. And guess who has to pay the price...Kirk! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cristin--your entry jogged a memory I'd forgotten ! It was Mother's Day, I think probably 1999. Addie was one, Jeri was three, A.J. was five, Hank was seven, and Jonna was ten. John had asked me a few days earlier what I wanted for Mother's Day. I remember telling him "John...I just want to sleep". He thought I was kidding. "No, Lisa, really, what do you REALLY want for Mother's Day this year?" When I reassured him that I was serious, he said "O.K." So after we got home from church on Mother's Day, I closed our blinds, shut and locked our bedroom door, climbed into our bed all alone...and John and the kids stayed left me alone...and I slept ALL day. And I think even all night! No amount of flowers, candy, cards...jewelry...whatever, could compare to the gift I got that day! I so remember those exhausting days! All I can say, is hang in there!! - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your comment "I don't know about you, but a one time deal sounds a lot better than a lifetime of remembering to take your meds" clearly shows your ignorance and lack of knowledge about anti-psychotic drugs, lobotomies and those with mental illnesses. but if you don't want to be tired, sure, go ahead and cut off the nerves between your prefrontal lobe and the rest of your brain. Good luck feeling emotions then, if you don't end up a vegetable.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails