1.28.2008

ELIMINATION COMMUNICATION AND OTHER FUNNY JOKES

You know how everyone thinks their kid is a genius? Well, I totally think that sometimes. I don't like to admit it, but when Luke is saying phrases like, "Here you go" and "What you doing?", as well as identifying many of his body parts, I can't help but beam with pride! Then he goes and does something like try to eat food with the pacifier still in his mouth or attempt to climb into his highchair with the tray firmly pushed against the chair, and I'm like, "Hmmm, maybe you're not so smart after all."

Lately, Luke has been doing a really good job of telling me when he has a dirty diaper. This is accomplished by either screaming "Poopie!" or just taking his diaper off and handing it to me. Yes, gross. Now I know he's probably a year away from being potty trained and I wouldn't even attempt to do it while he is this young, but you know how you start thinking your kid is an exception because he obviously recognizes when he goes... so, I did a little research online and discovered a method called "Elimination Communication."

Yes, people, this is for real.

From what I can gather, Elimination Communication begins when your baby is first born. You don't use diapers, in fact, you let them wear crotchless onesies. According to Wikipedia, as a parent, you must listen for your baby's signals, such as:

- a face they make (you know the "constipated" look I'm talking about)
- a particular cry
- squirming
- squirting (I added this one because most kids do tend to "squirt" a little before they really go)
Besides the above signals, you can also rely on parent intuition and cueing your baby when they are in an appropriate place to defecate. According to this website, appropriate places for a baby to defecate are:

Into a bowl,



outside the car,


and into a potted plant.


Yes, people, this is for real.

Now, I know what you're thinking, "Cristin, how can you knock this when you are doing something crazy like having your baby at home in a big birthing tub?" Good point. However, I have a feeling that if I were to try Elimination Communication with Luke, it would probably go something like this:

Me: Oh, Luke, your face looks funny and you are grunting, plus my intuition tells me you have to go. Good thing you have a crotchless onesie on because I'm going to hold you over this potted plant. That's your cue to go - NOW.

Luke: (screaming and fighting to get away from me) NO NO NO NO! Go bye-bye! (15 minutes later, in the midst of struggling to get away, he misses the plant and poops all over me.)

Maybe I find this all unbelievable because I don't understand how it really works. I am all for Attachment Parenting, but this seems like a joke.

Speaking of jokes, you know what else seems unreal? This bucket, uh, I mean "Bath Pod" featured on Nancy's blog. For a good laugh, read this link for the reviews of it on Amazon.com.

17 comments:

  1. That is so weird. What do you do when you are driving in the car and you can't see their "poop" face, and then they pooh everywhere.
    I can tell you one thing. I am NEVER going to do the Elimination Communication method. I will pay for the diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up. I sure enjoy your witt. I saw a song on You Tube by Weird Al Yankovik and it reminded me of one of your postings. It is called "EBAY." Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of people doing this, but I had no idea it was called the elimination communication. I thought it was just called infant potty training or something like that. I don't see how anyone has the time or the patience or the sanity to go through with something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and you thought my email was disturbing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard of the Chinese people doing this! Poor babies! You just gotta feel bad for them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister-in-law supposedly potty trained her daughter by fifteen months by reading her "cues." So of course, she started to pressure me to get Kaitlyn trained at the same age. Yeah right! Kaitlyn wasn't completely trained until three (okay, I am slightly embarrassed by that fact) but I got so sick of putting her on the potty, only to witness her peeing on the floor five minutes after leaving the bathroom! There's no way I would have the patience to use the "elimination communication" method. Plus, those people are just plain crazy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I was crying I was laughing so hard while reading the "ITS A BUCKET" review! And as for the elimination process, it would be really hard to detect when Jonah is going poop. He farts all day long and today was actually the first time I have ever 'heard him poop'. He gives no warning signs whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you guys think the "It's a Bucket" review is funny - I just found the reviews for the "Unisex Douche" on Amazon.com. Here is the link:

    http://www.amazon.com/Unisex-Douche-Complete-Piece-Women/dp/B000VLDCGC/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

    ReplyDelete
  9. OM Gosh! I can't believe the comments on the tushie product. OK, who has the time to find this stuff?? It is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andrew told me that in Cambodia they just let their kids run around in wifebeaters without pants on. I think I would take that option for potty training over the elimination method. I'm sorry but even if you are stuck at home every day all day long, who can sit and stare at their child and analyze every single face and sound they make?! I'm all for Pampers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It. IS. A. BUCKET. I was crying I was laughing so hard. That was really funny.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It remeinds me of a kitchen sink....but a porta - one. As for the potty training....I honestly don't know when parents have the time. Seriously people...aren't you busy enough without having to observe your children 24/7 so that they can be potty trained by 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My face hurts from laughing! All of it is so ridiculous! Can you use the bath bucket to double as a EC container as well?

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is all toooo funny, I can't stop laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds funny, but I am doing this with my daughter. I call it "infant potty training" - "elimination communication" sounds stupid and implies there's some cosmic element to the process. And, she has a potty chair that she uses - we don't hold her over plants or bowls. LOL! As for finding the time...it took me WAY less time to train my daughter beginning at 3 months than it is taking my sister to train her 2 year old son. I think I SAVED a lot of time. My daughter is just 8 months old and hasn't had an accident in a month! Plus, it's not like babies pee and poo 24/7 - I didn't have to watch my daughter every waking moment to notice when she had to go. She still wore diapers until she got the hang of using the potty and could sit up herself - now she wears training pants. Anyway, potty training an infant isn't as silly as it sounds - but, I still got a good laugh out of your article...like anything else, some people take things to wacky extremes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's great to see more information being shared about Elimination Communication. Yep, it's a cumbersome word that describes an activity so widespread it didn't even have a name!

    I know the snap reaction of many is that EC means no diapers are used - that's untrue. "Diaper Free" is the destination, on the way there, you use diapers as backup. Your baby can be wearing a diaper and not 'use' it, or not use it for several hours...

    I like to explain EC to interested people as using just 1 less diaper at a time!

    http://www.parttimediaperfree.com/just-1-less-diaper.htm

    Expecting 'zero' accidents really puts undue pressure on parent and baby, though, as EC is about the growth of communication, helping baby to gain their independence at the earliest stage possible for them.

    May I offer a link to my resources helping families ease into EC part-time? I am really enthusiastic about helping families ease into baby pottying as a way to reduce diaper washing and waste.

    I have put together a free introductory series of emails - a guided tour about the best attitudes to adopt when beginning EC. It's very popular, with over 800 members already.

    Here is the link:
    http://www.parttimediaperfree.com/

    Thanks,
    Charndra

    ReplyDelete
  17. We just started ECing our 4 months old and I am floored that she can hold her bladder until we put her on the toilet or her potty chair. The rest of the time, she wears a diaper. No potted plants for us - we do have such a thing called "boundaries."

    One way to look at it is that its just another hygiend tool that we teach children. No different than brushing their teeth, washing their hands, brushing their hair, bathing, etc. The only difference is that we don't wait until they are "ready" to do the above things like we do with toileting.

    Also, it's much easier than I ever thought it would be. Don't knock it until you've tried it. I recommend the book "Diaper Free Baby."

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails