12.09.2007

WHO'S THE BOSS?


Tonight, as we began to eat dinner, Erik said, "We're letting Luke control us! We let him get away with so much" I said, "No, we're not." Then dinner progressed as follows:

1. Luke wouldn't sit in his booster seat or highchair so we let him sit in a normal chair.
2. Then he didn't want to eat out of his plastic bowl, so I transferred his food into a glass one.
3. He was making a mess eating, I offer to feed him, he says no, so I continue to let him get taco soup all over the kitchen floor.
4. Taco soup ends up on his clothes. He wants his clothes off, so I remove them.
5. He takes off his diaper and throws it across the room. I say nothing.
6. The end result is the above picture: A naked toddler, kneeling on an adult chair at the dinner table, unsuccessfully eating from two bowls, and making a huge mess.

In retrospect, maybe we do let Luke control us a little, okay, a lot. BUT, how do you not let a toddler take over your life without outright ignoring him?

14 comments:

  1. I love the look on your face. You seem to be thinking, "Your total control of my life disgusts me, little man!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you figure this one out let me know. You kid is not the only one to be in control. Annabella doesn't and won't sit in a booster seat either...shall I go on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. (cristin's mom) Which is more important to you right now: solution or sympathy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pick your battles, Cristin. Sometimes it's just not worth fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're nice. I hate the mess so I would never give Owen taco soup. That's how I regain my control...I only let him have options I'd be ok with. I'm also really lazy and our "dining room" has carpet in it so I avoid messy foods at all cost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you censored the picture! So funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Kimberly, you don't have to ignore them, but give them a couple of different options that you're okay with(that way they'll still feel like they have a little bit of free agency and choice in the matter too) and if they don't want to choose any of those options then, well maybe he'll be upset for awhile but he'll probably learn pretty fast to pick from one of your choices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for posting a nude picture of luke with food all over his face, that just what i wanted to see....... (haha jk) the terrible twos came early!At least Luke can make his own decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. why does that taco soup look like tuna fish? why don't you make it a family ritual- eat dinner in the buff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hilarious!!! Just wait until the next baby comes!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. At least Luke looks really really happy. My kids would never even try taco soup... they don't do soups. So at least he's eating (sort of) what you're eating instead of you having to make multiple meals each night. Which I sometimes find myself doing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you just described my life! Only I have two of them controlling me. I'm not proud of it, but I just don't have the patience or energy to discipline them sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think food messes are unavoidable. Some foods are messier than others.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this picture is so funny, I can't even stop laughing about it. the looks on your faces are priceless. hopefully luke won't mind someday all the exposure he's receiving on the world wide web.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails