12.03.2007

MATERNITY CLOTHES

(NOTE TO READERS: From now on, I will lovingly be referring to Baby #2 as "Jurgen Danger" until we come up with a better nickname. My Beehives helped me come up with that one when I told them about the Lassen family's unused Danish names, such as Pia and Jurgen. Danger has just always been a favorite middle name of mine.)

Yesterday morning I woke up and BOOM, nothing fit me. Jurgen Danger picked the wrong night to triple in size, because it left few options to wear to church. Luckily our church doesn't start until 1 p.m., so I was able to spend two hours trying to piece something together to wear. At first I tried using existing skirts and fastening their closures together with a rubber band. I thought that would work until I bent over and it came undone. Plus, what if my shirt came up and everyone saw how I had jimmy rigged my skirt together? Too risky. Then I went through my meager selection of maternity dresses:

The last time I wore this dress, everyone said I looked like a big Easter egg. Granted, it was Easter and I was really round, but still! Everyone knows that you're never supposed to tell a pregnant woman how big she really is until after the baby is born and then you can joke about it later. It reminded me of the time some random girl came up from behind me at church and seriously asked me if I had a cat because I had so much hair on the back of my coat. I didn't have a cat, just a lot of garbage stuck to the back of my coat. Thanks for letting me know, but what am I going to do about it at church except be super embarrassed?

I'm pretty sure I will wear this dress one day, but not in 30 degree weather.

I will also probably wear this dress when I am huge and desperate. This is a Layers dress. Have you noticed how Layers makes clothes that require you to buy Layers shirts to wear underneath? Very clever.

So you get the idea. It was bad. I kept thinking, "I just had a baby! What did I wear then?" I think I must have borrowed a lot of maternity clothes I don't have on me now. If I had to go back to work though, I would be set. I have 6 pairs of maternity slacks. I kept thinking, "Man, if I could only wear slacks to church!"

Pregnant women can get away with a lot, such as wearing flip flops to church, dressing like slobs 24-7, wearing ugly jumpers and their husband's clothes. I don't want to be that woman, but I also want to save money. It is a really fine line. I think by the time I get to the last month of pregnancy I will just drape myself in a big sheet and not leave the house.

I spent another two hours today shopping online buying a sweater, pants, dress, skirt, and maternity coat. Does anyone know of any other place to buy cheap maternity clothes online besides Old Navy, JC Penney, and Target?

11 comments:

  1. If you aren't too picky about hand me downs, Ebay has some great items. Granted they are used but some are in excellent condition. Some even still have tags and have never been worn. I got me favorite pair of maternity capris from ebay. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to start wearing maternity clothes to church and it was really depressing to me. I find it really frustrating finding something decent to wear!

    Walmart has some cute maternity clothes online for cheap. I know you are a little anti-walmart, but if you order it online...no one will ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cristin, I would have worn that middle dress with a black cardigan sweater and black tights. You did order black maternity tights from Oldnavy right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought some cute things on ebay, and my town has a maternity consignment store...used clothes doesn't bother me as long as I wash it before I wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am feeling your pain! I want to go buy new clothes but I know this is the last one so why waste the money!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a lot of skirts (non maternity) that when paired with a long, maternity shirt/sweater, work. Have you tried that route? Otherwise, yeah, old navy and target. Sometimes gap.com has good deals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you should wear the layers dress without a shirt underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah cristin, Jamie's idea is the best. Its about time you showed a little more skin at church. I really like the 2nd dress, just wear it with a sweater. I dont get what happened to all of your old maternity clothes? What names are you thinking of using for real?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in the same situation as you, but I only have one dress...though I do have 2 skirts that are possibilities but only one will match with several different tops(it's black). I only have about 2 months left though...maybe I'll take your suggestion and wear a sheet :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like the Easter dress. I think Kelley's idea would be cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you tried Motherhood Maternity? We have a store in our mall here but if I want to get in and get out I check online first so that I don't have to be in there too long. Its pretty cheap too and stuff seems to always be on sale.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails