12.18.2007

GRANDMA BEECROFT

I wanted to mention on here that Erik's Grandma Beecroft passed away last night. (Yes, you read that right. Erik lost his Grandmother AND Great Grandfather within days of each other.) Although she wasn't my biological grandmother, in the six years that I have been married to Erik she has become like my own. I feel like I have lost a grandparent. She was such a wonderful woman.

The picture above was taken when she watched Luke for us last year when my sister, Caitlin, got married. She was always willing to serve others. She called her home "Hotel Beecroft" (with a smile) and always opened it up for others to stay or use her pool. In my mind she is still so vibrant and outgoing that I can't believe she passed away. She always went on fun trips that made me extremely jealous and tried to go to everything she could to support her grandchildren. Erik and I sat up last night discussing some of the great qualities she exhibited as a grandparent that we would like to emulate someday when we have grandkids.

Erik said that with the accident and the events of the past week, 2007 has really been a "lesson in death" for him. I, on the other hand, have not had that much experience with death and I worry that if someone like my mother or father or sister were to die suddenly that I would have a really hard time dealing with it. We did smile last night though as we thought of the happy reunion Grandma Beecroft must be having with all the family that passed before her. When she learned of her terminal condition a week or so ago, she said something like, "Well, help me plan my next trip!" That was the kind of good attitude she had about everything. What a great example to us all.

We're still heading out to Phoenix on Thursday for both funerals.

3 comments:

  1. that is really sad. The other day Caitlin and I were also talking about how we haven't had to deal with death much and hope we are lucky enough to not have to for a long time...
    we had just finished watching "the notebook" and crying our eyes out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im sorry for your loss. Sounds like she's having a big reunion with lots of friends and family. Too bad we wont see you guys before you leave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so so sorry to hear that you guys have lost your loved ones. It's so hard to cope with something like that. I lost my grandmother a few years ago and it was the worst thing ever. I can't even imagine how you're feeling considering the events that have taken place this year. You guys are awesome though and can handle anything. I can definately see the qualities your grandmother had shine through you two. Have a safe trip! Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails