12.11.2007

BROWN WATER


I love hot chocolate. It is my "coffee." Probably not the healthiest drink, except I do rationalize my insane consumption of it by counting it off as much needed calcium. When I drink lots of it, Jurgen Danger gets super excited and kicks all over the place. He must love it too.

My one gripe is when people try to pass "brown water" off as hot chocolate. The only way to make powdered hot chocolate mixes, such as Carnation, Swiss Miss, and Stephen's Gourmet (sorry, Utah, I know how proud you are of your Stephen's) not taste like "brown water" is to put in double the amount of powder you should put in according to the box. Even then, they still taste like brown water with a hint of chocolate to me. The only powdered mixes (mixed with water) that I have ever tasted that kind of resemble real Hot Chocolate are the Ghirardelli's and Land 'O Lakes with creamer added.

Then again, if you have never had real good hot chocolate, then you don't know what you are missing and you can go on drinking "brown water" because you don't know any better. (Wow, I'm starting to send like a real hot chocolate snob. So be it.) To make good hot chocolate takes time and energy, so it is best to make a lot, refrigerate it, and just heat it up later when you want more. It is also a good idea to buy milk in bulk because you will go through A LOT.

Here are my two favorite recipes:

Hershey's Hot Chocolate

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
  • Dash salt
  • 1/3 cup hot water
  • 4 cups (1 qt.) milk
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Miniature marshmallows or sweetened whipped cream(optional)
Directions:
1. Stir together sugar, cocoa and salt in medium saucepan; stir in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil and stir 2 minutes. Add milk; stirring constantly, heat to serving temperature. Do Not Boil.

2. Remove from heat; add vanilla. Beat with rotary beater or whisk until foamy. Serve topped with marshmallows or whipped cream, if desired. Five 8-oz. servings.


Kimberlee's Hot Chocolate (aka Candy Bar Hot Chocolate)

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate
  • 1 tsp. almond extract
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 3 quarts milk
Directions:
1. Boil water and sugar together for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and add bittersweet chocolate.
2. Once chocolate has melted, whip mixture until it is smooth and chill.
3. Whip together heavy whipping cream, almond extract and vanilla.
4. Fold the whipping cream and chocolate mixture together.
5. Fill a cup 1/3 full of chocolate/cream mixture and add scalding milk to make hot chocolate.
Serves 8 people.

14 comments:

  1. I love hot chocolate! I used to go to coffee houses back in high school with friends just to get a good cup of it. The only way to make it is with milk and top it with whip cream and chocolate syrup. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you- powered hot chocolate is just brown water! Vak thinks I am crazy because I make him use milk and still double the hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. all growing up i actually followed the directions and made hot chocolate with water and didn't mind so much... with milk actually tasted weird to me. i don't know when, but at some point i started using milk. so the other day, i decided to be cheap (gallons of milk are super pricey lately) and i made hot chocolate with water. ICK. I decided, like you, that the hot chocolate with milk is a good source of calcium for me and the baby. :)

    I will definitely be trying your recipes since i have a cocomotion and make a ton each time anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree -- I don't like Stephen's either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimberlee's Hot Chocolate is really good. I love it so much.

    HOT CHOCOLATE is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Starbuck's has mint hot chocolate right now. If you can handle $3 a cup...it's divine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea you had such strong feelings about hot chocolate. I do not. It usually makes me sick due to the high sugar content.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THE BEST cup of hot chocolate I have ever had was up in Solvang. Oh my gosh...I have never encountered a cup that comes in anywhere near that caliber. It was so long ago...I should go back to that little cafe just to indulge. (P.S. thanks to the Lassen's for taking me to Solvang in the first place so I could have the best hot chocolate ever)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've decided I might actually like cold weather a little more if I start becoming a hot chocolate connoisseur. Alex's mom gave me a tin of William Sonoma chocolate shavings (for my birthday) that you add to scalded milk. It's delicious with a dollop (Martha Stewart term) of whipped cream.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can taste color? Amazing! I would have thought brown water would taste just like regular water. Maybe it's like Pepsi and Pepsi Clear.

    I think my wife makes hot chocolate with milk instead of water. Personally, I stay away from "hot drinks" like a good Mormon should. By the way, I'm forwarding this post to your bishop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love Hot Chocolate at our house, too, Cristin. John makes the best, but he is so Danish he of course adds butter AND whip cream! We've been spoiled for sure.
    Tomorrow night I have to make a few gallons of it for a Cub Scout walk down Gemini street to see the lights. Then, Saturday night for Steffen's Open house, we are serving homemade hot chocolate...I hope I can make a big pot that tastes as good as the smaller amounts! Wish me luck. It won't be brown water, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll just deligate this to John...he'll do a great job! :-}

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the Swiss Miss French Vanilla mix is really good - even with one packet only. You should try it, you snob. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know it sounds strange, but hot chocolate from the church cannery is seriously good! It tastes so rich and creamy, and it comes in a huge can, for extreme drinkers!! I mean you do have to work in the warehouse for at least an hour before you can buy it, but hey if you buy a case it's worth it!! Give it a try! It's way better than the other powdered stuff out there.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails