11.06.2007

TOO MANY PHOTOS

Mental illness is not funny. Or is it? I keep wondering if it is totally uncouth for me to be writing about this. It makes me laugh, but some of you might view my reaction as cruel. I guess the whole point is that when someone you know is going (or has gone) "nuts", the only real options are to either laugh or cry. I am choosing to laugh.

My grandmother, Lollie, lost her mind some time ago. She's always been a little off, but lately it's been really bad. Today I received two huge boxes from her in the mail addressed to "Master Luke Lassen c/o Kathleen Stewart Lassen." Knowing my grandmother, I figured they each contained one large pillow wrapped in aluminum foil because she's known for sending things like that. Or then there was the time that she mailed me an envelope containing photocopies of all the birthday cards and letters she sent me as a child. (Isn't it crazy that she thought to photocopy a birthday card before she sent it to me in 1983 so that she could send it to me when I was 24?)

Well, the first box contained a set of cobalt blue pots and pans, along with a really nice Le Creuset tea kettle. I'm sure Luke will really enjoy them. Some were used and some still had the price tag stuck to the bottom. To the tea kettle she attached a receipt from a year ago.


The second box was the fun one. Master Luke Lassen received... (drum roll, please)... a dozen or so random framed pictures from her house! They were each wrapped in so much bubble wrap that Luke kicked the pictures around like soccer balls before I unwrapped them and they still didn't break.


I know, you're thinking, why is this funny? Just wait. One of the pictures was this picture she took of other pictures. She was obviously really determined that I see ALL THE PICTURES.

Since there was no card attached, I couldn't help but calling her to ask what cryptic message she was trying to pass along to me through this package to Luke. She told me, "Dahling, it is very important that you show Luke these pictures every day so he knows that he has another family that loves him." Okaaaaaaaaaaay.


Therefore, according to Lollie's wishes, tonight I began our new evening tradition. I think I will take a photo of this photo of me holding a photo of photos and send it to Lollie. I am saying to Luke, "Here is a photo of photos of me, your aunts, grandma, and your great-great-grandfather. This is your other family that loves you." Confused? So am I.

13 comments:

  1. I am laughing so hard I am crying! Please, please write more stories about Lollie!. also- did she really address it to "Kathleen Stewart Lassen" or is that a typo?

    soooo funny! thanks for posting about that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still laughing as I'm writing my comment. That is hilarious! I love the last picture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelley - That is not a typo. She really did address it to Kathleen Stewart Lassen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. old people are funny! I just hope i'm an old funny person and not an old annoying person?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Grandparents are too funny. It makes you wonder what was going on in her head as she was making those packages. Why a toddler boy would have any use for a tea set...I guess we'll never know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you recognize all of the people in the pictures? Or did you get some strange-people pictures? Grandma's are funny!
    My grandma once told me, "I knew a LeMira once." I responded, "Grandma, that was probably me."

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh that's hilarious. Totally bizarre. I like the idea of you sending her a picture of you and luke looking at a picture of pictures. I am learning to embrace crazy. Jake's fam damily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that's so funny! I am rolling with laughter. I love the last picture! Then I clicked on Trine's link to read about her "Peter Pan boots" I'm in stiches with laughter! You people are too much. Once when I was a teen, I had Glamour Shots taken and sent one to my Grandma. After seeing them, she asked my mom when I had had my crossed eye fixed. I've NEVER had crossed eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So funny. My grandma had Alzheimer's so when she'd come to visit she'd sit with me and watch movies, or whatever. She asked me about a zillion times what E.R. stood for (the tv show was then in it's prime), and she was super impressed with how they got all those cats to dance like that in Aristocrats (which, if you don't remember, is an animated cartoon movie). That one still cracks Brandon and I up.

    Does she always call people Master? My grandma always addressed stuff to Miss so and so. Which I thought was cool as a kid, but was just old fashioned manners probably.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats soooo funny Cristin! You know what might be just as funny? IS if I post the video I took of me and katie at lollies house, when she made us spray Pam on our toast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my gosh. okay well I am the one that had to talk to her when she called to ask for Luke's address. She also sent me a photo of photos on the mission. I thought that was pretty weird. I know people are laughing, but they don't understand that she really is crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh yeah, something else I forgot to mention. I can't believe that Luke is sitting still on your lap

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know when kids do something that makes you laugh. They think it makes perfect sence but in reality it doesn't. I feel like old people go back to that stage. My first reaction is to laugh and then I feel bad, but I guess as long as they know you love them it's all ok.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails