11.05.2007

STEPPING OUTSIDE THE BUBBLE

I got home really late last night from a quick weekend trip to Utah to see my new nephew. This was my first time being back in Happy Valley since we moved away 2 and a half years ago. When I first moved to Provo in 2002, I felt like I was living in the Truman Show. Everyone seemed a little too friendly and everything a little too perfect. Then I got used to it and really began enjoying myself there. It was actually really hard and sad to leave when we moved back to California in 2005.

So going back was... interesting. Granted, it was a quick trip and sadly I didn't get to do or see even half of the things/people I wanted to. It is always very interesting though to step outside the bubble and look back in with a new perspective.

Random Thoughts on Happy Valley

1. Provo seemed so crowded. I don't know if this is because I live in a 6,000 person town now or because it really is.

2. Cafe Rio was very disappointing. Either they changed the recipe of those salads since I moved or they were never that good. I don't think I will insist on going back there again.

3. Californians are easily identifiable in Provo by wearing flip flops in 50 degree weather with big coats.

4. Sam Hawk (the Korean restaurant by Smith's) is still really good, but we had to wait almost 2 hours for our food to be served! Everyone had to wait this long for their food. I kept looking around for the other customers to join me in a revolt, but no one seemed to mind the insane wait. As my sister, Kelley, mentioned, "Anything tastes really good after a two hour wait."

5. There really is no place like the dollar theater in Provo. We went to a showing of Sidney White and there were people sitting on the theater floor to watch that movie. SIDNEY WHITE!!! All during the movie I kept trying to figure out why people were laughing so hard. Then, at the end of the movie, people clapped. I'm pretty sure that half the theater was drunk because I don't know how else they could have found that movie as funny and entertaining as they did. I know, it's Provo, they were "drunk on fun." (Sidney White was probably a step above the Britney Spears movie, "Crossroads".)

6. I am publicly admitting how jealous I am of my sister-in-law, Trine, who lives in Provo. I really don't think she knows how lucky she is. They have never had to pay for a babysitter, have a dollar theater and lots of restaurants close by, and usually go to the temple (together!) every other week. All I could think about was how we rarely go on dates without Luke because we can't afford to pay for a babysitter and the date. (When I've mentioned trading babysitting with friends, they have told me they don't think they could handle Luke plus their own and they're probably right). The only way we've been able to make it to the temple is to drive 2 1/2 hours there (one-way) and then take turns on who goes inside so that one of us can stay out with the Luke-ster. I know, many people have it much harder than us, but I still want to remind all of you in a situation similar to Trine's of how nice you have it!



15 comments:

  1. I always miss Provo, but when I'm there, it's such a different place. Plus I never got to experience married life in happy valley, that would have been fun I think. I graduated in Dec. 2000 and didn't go back until Feb. 2002. Then not again until July 2005. It was always so weird to be back. I think a lot of the whole college experience was the people, and they aren't all there anymore. But the restaurants... I've got a long list of restaurants to hit if we ever make it back again.

    As for the temple, until Brandon's parents moved to St. Louis, we had a 4 1/2 hour drive (one way) to the Winter Quarters temple and only enough time for one of us to do a session while the other waited with the kids. Now we have a four hour drive, but grandparents to babysit, and a temple to exits from their house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to the temple dilemma. When Kaitlyn was a baby, we had to drive to the Oakland temple, which was two and a half to three hours away (depending on what time of day you went). We only went a couple of times after she was born and when we did go, we took turns watching her while the other went in. I felt so embarrassed when our stake president asked me how long it had been since I went to the temple (when I went in to get my recommend renewed) and he totally lectured me on how little we went! It's so hard though when the temple is that far away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh and I were just reminiscing about the dollar theater the other day. Oh, the good ol' days in Provo when we could see in your front room window from our own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sidney White was way better than Crossroads! I love Amanda Bines...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you saying I live in a bubble?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally understand the whole temple thing. Our new temple district is 3 hours away (one way) and well do I really burden someone with my kid for 8 hours? no, I don't. So I feel your pain. I took for granted how close we were to the LA temple. I guess its the sacrifice that we make but I have yet to do it. Do you know how much it costs for a babysitter for 8 hours...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it was either right before my son was born, or right after, a member of the stk. presidency told me not to stress about my infrequent temple attendance since I had small children, a newborn, etc. That there was a time in my life when I'd be able to go to the temple more frequently and I shouldn't worry myself about that time not being now. And that was when the temple was just an hour away (in good traffic). That's always made me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. too bad we moved! you know i love luke and he was fun to babysitt. i wish that we had made a temple trip too, you know i have family in the oc....they would be more than happy to watch him if you wanna go to the newport temple or something. i know, hi total stranger, please watch my child! :) seriously they would do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cristin, I really enjoyed your visit! Thank you for coming, even though it was so short. I hope you had fun.I hope I'm able to see you guys at thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are grateful for our situation- which is actually the reason we fully take advantage of it while we can. It really is a nice set-up, but we won't talk about how jealous I am that you guys could go to Camarillo every other week if you wanted to (and practically do). There's pros and cons to every situation, right? I'm so glad we got to spend time with you- come stay with us whenever you want to go the temple and eat out! :) We can handle Luke.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, we had a sweet hookup in Wymount. We went out multiple times a week with the Ericksens living next to us and they went out as well. It was awesome. Even though we still live here, after leaving Wymount, we have not met ANYONE that we can do that with. We havne't been on any dates in the last 2 years unless a family member has visited. And that's not very often. There are definitely things I will miss about this place when we finally leave, but it's so crowded. We call it communist provo becasue we have to wait in line for everything. It's weird. I equally love it and equally can't stand it here. I think the best things about this place are the access to church resources, the BYU resources, the family friendly environment, the variety of people, restaurants, things to do, outdoor recreation, the outdoors in general, but I can't wait to live somewhere else!!

    Sincereley,
    Prisoner in Provo

    ReplyDelete
  12. are you SURE you still want to have this other baby?

    ReplyDelete
  13. p.s. Im SO glad I dont live up there

    ReplyDelete
  14. Last month our bishop saw us at the Columbus Temple (2.5 hrs. from Cleveland) where we were doing the "switch" like you do. The next Sunday there was a "special" bishop's message on how we should go to the temple together and trust people to watch our kids. I kept thinking--okay, why don't you just say our names--we know this is directed toward us. Anyway, it was special. But, I'm proud to report, we found a couple to go switch with this weekend--go Smiths!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never was impressed with Cafe Rio. I think once you are in the bubble you like it because in CA there is good mexican food everywhere.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails