11.29.2007

CONTROL FREAK

Lately, Luke has insisted on doing everything on his own. By "everything" I mean things like taking off his clothes and diaper once he has a "poopy", and then literally wiping his own butt while I change his diaper. (Of course, he can't really wipe himself. It's more like him waving the baby wipe aimlessly around his butt.) It's really messy and disgusting. I'm thinking of buying suspenders to help keep his pants on. If he weren't so skinny, he'd probably have a tougher time removing his pants, but as is, he's got a plumber's crack even when they're buttoned tight.

He also refuses to let me feed him. This might sound glorious to parents who are struggling to teach their kids to self-feed, but Luke hasn't exactly mastered the use of the spoon yet. Here was the scene this morning after Luke refused to let me spoon feed him a bowl of cereal (this is very typical):


To make matters worse, he screams if any particle of food touches his hand. (OCD?) He also wants to sit in a big person's chair, which is like the equivalent of an adult trying to eat soup placed on a bar while sitting on a step stool. When I take the spoon and try to feed it to him he says, "No!" and shakes his head wildly.

I will try to end this post on a positive note: Let's see... it's good for my 18 month old to want to be independent. I am grateful I have tile floor instead of carpet under my kitchen table. I'm grateful he's eating. I'm grateful he tells me when he has a "poopy." Yeah. That's all I can think of for now.

10 comments:

  1. He is already starting the terrible two's! Get used to the independence...it will drive you nuts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah is doing the same kind of stuff. Except I don't put milk in her cereal....she gets it seperate in a sippy (we have carpet under our table). Oh the joy of toddlers....it really gets much worse I promise (and then sooo much better all of a sudden when they hit three).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the optimism at the end....do I detect a little sarcasm, Cristin???

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! I wish Carson would tell me when he was poopy. He's 2 and still doesn't know how to use a spoon. I think that's great that Luke wants to do things on his own. Will he let you help him feed himself?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even look at mclaren when he's eating...and if I try to touch his food...pure hysteria! So I just set it down and walk away...waiting for the bowl to hit my back :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain. Gavin is exactly the same way. This age is soooooo difficult. Thank goodness I have Kaitlyn and know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I promise it gets better, but not until after a very long year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chloe has to do everything by herself also. I am trying to teach her how to use a spoon. I only try it once a day and usually oatmeal. I don't add all the water your supposed to because it sticks better to the spoon. It still is very messy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow i really wish I had tile under my table. Your really lucky! This all sounds familiar though to me. Im sure mom would say you were the same way!(caitlin)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I hear you. Carson loves to do things himself now. Although lately he's been letting me feed him again for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, "Carson" is a popular name these days. Cristin-get over it. You have to remember who his parents are.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails