11.12.2007

THE BEST FEMALE VOCALIST EVER?

The other night I was driving home from Bakersfield and listening to, of course, Delilah. If you don't know Delilah, you should. Although it's got to be the worst radio show EVER (half the time I swear it's an SNL skit), I can't get enough of it. The show usually goes something like this:

Caller: My husband and I have been together for 20 years, married for one. I have skin cancer, and my husband just got deployed to Iraq. We both love listening to your show together.

Delilah: That's great. It sounds like you found the perfect guy. I still haven't found the perfect guy. My love life is crap. I will play the perfect song for your perfect man serving our perfect country.
Then Delilah plays either "God Bless the USA" or "You Are So Beautiful to Me" or "I Miss You Like Crazy."
Honestly, I am really jealous of Delilah because she gets to pick songs for people all night. I don't how she does it without laughing, but she does. She also has this really cheesy theme song that is just some female voice singing, "Delilah, Love somebody tonight!"

Anyway, back to the story:

So, I'm thinking how cool it would be to be Delilah, and then I drifted on to wondering who is the best female vocalist of all time. I went to this website, and their list included:

Barbra Streisand



This is my personal all time favorite karaoke song. She's better than Neil Diamond, but that's not hard. Best singer of all time.... hmmm... doubtful.

Celine Dion


This is a video we can totally relate to. My apologies to anyone who lives in a castle and your fiance/husband/boyfriend died in a violent motorcycle/lightening accident. I always expect Meatloaf to appear in this music video.


Mariah Carey



I still need to see this.

Others on the list were:
Britney Spears (ARE YOU KIDDING ME? She sings like a robot because her voice is digitally enhanced.)
Shania Twain (Bad bad bad)
Whitney Houston (When she's not on drugs.)
Nelly Furtado (What?)

I don't know if it is coincidence, but I have to close my eyes when I listen to most of the people on this list sing because they (okay, mainly Celine and Barbra), make funny facial expressions (similar to Clay Aiken's). Any opinions on who is the best female vocalist of all time?



14 comments:

  1. Okay, so I agree with all of your hates. But I can't think of who should be the best female vocalist ever.

    Besides, isn't best ever a huge spot to fill?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its funny you talked about this because the other day Celine Dion's song "Its all coming back to me" was on the radio and I was of course singing at the top of my lungs to it... and I had that very thought- Is Celine Dion the best female vocalist in the world? I don't know of anyone who can out sing her. Now, she may be good- but at the same time she is super annoying!

    and what person would be Nelly Furtado and Britney on a list of amazing singers!??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I don't know who is the "best." But Celine Dion should be near the top of the list (although I totally agree about the weird expressions, and I think she's really annoying). I'm not as concerned with the best vocals. I just like singers for their songs. Norah Jones is probably my favorite (at least for a female singer).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought Jennifer Hudson did a pretty amazing job in Dream Girls. I still remember when Fantasia Barrino sang Summertime, but that was just one amazing performance. Maybe I'm just a little too obsessed with American Idol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that on the list were some classier acts like Aretha Fraklin and Billie Holiday. Although Billie Holiday got into really heavy drugs later in life, and Aretha did a duet with George Michael in the late 80s. So maybe we should still be looking?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have to say,

    #1 Reba McEntire

    #2 Annette Funicello.

    I can listen to their songs for hours. Unbelievable Sound!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cristin,
    So . . . I'm hoping you even remember who I am! It has been a while! Anyway, I saw your blog address from Janene's blog, and I thought I'd take a peek. I have to say, you are very entertaining. Honestly, you should win an award for the best blog out there! It was really fun to read about female vocalists and see pictures of your little guy! By the way, congrats on a second one! When are you due? Anyway, hope you don't mind me checking you guys out! Here is our blog address: http://web.mac.com/sampeterson1/Peterson_Family_Site/Blog/Blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. When listening to Delilah, I expect a whole "Sleepless in Seattle" scenario to ensue.

    Celine definitely makes strange faces when she sings. It can totally ruin the song. And I laugh about the whole Meatloaf thing because the first time I saw that video, I thought the same thing. You may all think I'm strange, but if I had to pick a best-female-voice-ever candidate from who I know, I'd pick Enya.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you should leave Clay Aiken the list for best female vocalist...

    ReplyDelete
  11. (Caitlin)Celine Dion is probably the best. I actually really love Carrie Underwood and Martina McBride's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1960s Streisand is the ultimate in female vocal ability. She was still experimenting and her voice is at its best. Don't judge her singing by that video with Neil Diamond...I suspect when one sings with him you have to turn it down a notch or two. This is her singing Cry Me a River in 1967.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS7TbVuHtRI

    Ella and Sarah Vaughan are also in my top three. I can't put the three of them in any order though. They all have special gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the most perfect female voice I've ever heard is that of Leann Rimes. If you've ever heard the song "She's Got You" by the late great Patsy Cline, Leann Rimes version of it is probably the most beautiful song I've ever heard. Give it a try. It's perfect vocals of a truly beautiful song.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are all you people on drugs!! The bes Then of course Barbara Streisandt singer EVER is Whitney Houston DUHHHHH!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails