10.05.2007

THE SECOND TIME AROUND

I don't know if it's because I feel like I just did this or what, but this pregnancy is already so different than Luke's.

For one, I often forget I'm pregnant. My doctor said this is because I never stopped breastfeeding before I was pregnant, so I probably won't feel much different. I personally think it is because I have gone to the doctor once with this one and received no ultrasound yet, whereas with Luke I had a beautiful photo album of ultrasounds by the time he was 10 weeks. Once in awhile I'll be really really tired and remember, "Oh, yeah, I'm pregnant." Or today I got carsick and thought maybe it had something to do with that. Yet, other than that, right now it just occurred to me that I had forgotten how many weeks I am. (According to an online pregnancy calculator, my second trimester begins this Sunday. Yipee!) Wow, time flies when you don't think about being pregnant every minute of the day. I should have tried this strategy with Luke so my pregnancy wouldn't have seemed so long.

Or perhaps this is just because it is a second child, and everyone knows that parents love their first child the most. I can say this because I am an oldest child and my sisters have complained for years that I am the favorite. (Just kidding... kind of, maybe.) Does this get progressively worse? If I frequently forget that I am pregnant with the second, will I even acknowledge a third child?

Fortunately for kid #2, my clothes are getting tight, my skinny jeans are now in storage and I am slowly gaining weight. I'm sure all this forgetfulness will be a thing of the past as I explode into the big huge fat pregnant lady I remember all too well.

11 comments:

  1. I definitely forgot what week I was in with Gavin. I think it's just that with the first, you're so excited that you think about it all the time. But lucky you that you don't even feel pregnant. For me, the second pregnancy was so much worse. I had morning sickness the whole nine months and threw up several times a day if I didn't take medicine. It was miserable. I'm hoping the next one will be better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that it's going so fast for you. That must be really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish that I could have forgotten I was pregnant...but morning sickness reminded me everyday! Count it as a blessing to not be sick and have to chase Luke around...that might push you to the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were never the huge pregnant lady. Big maybe, but never huge! jk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People always ask me how many weeks I am and I totally have to think about. But with kids 1 and 2 and I totally knew that stuff. I think part of it was we didn't tell people for a long time because we wanted to tell our kid first and we knew that once they knew EVERYONE would know. But yeah, the other kids occupying all of your time and thoughts leaves little thought to the one inside that is being well behaved so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to pregnancy #2! With Sarah every time I went in they would ask me how many weeks I was (the nurse) and I would ask her to tell me :)! Its still fun but not as novel....such is life. Babies are still fun though even the second time you have them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cristin are you still breastfeeding luke? weird question,. I thought you couldnt get pregnant if you were breastfeeding... but yeah okay weird topic

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!I am glad to hear all is going well so far. That's terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As you know, Erik was my #2 child, but I was pretty sick during the first trimester so it was hard to forget he was coming. I remember laying on the couch watching Kirsten run around and just feeling so tired and yucky, running to the bathroom several times a day and trying to fix food for Kirsten and John and I....yuck! But guess what....somehow you are able to love each and every child equally....it's amazing how that works. I'm a first child too so I'm not sure how it feels to be a second, third, fourth etc. etc. child. Your first child though always seems to be your "right arm" while you are raising the others. They really become your best helper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure. Huge? Fat? I'd like to see you try. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. By the way, congratulations about the new baby! I'm glad you still have the energy to be pregnant and excited about it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails