10.17.2007

PEOPLE ARE CA-RAY-ZAY

Take a look at this picture. Does this look appetizing to you? This is a Cafe Rio salad. If you do not live close to a Cafe Rio, does this picture make you want to spontaneously get into your car and drive 12 HOURS ROUND TRIP to eat this salad? If you are crazy, the answer is YES.

I was reading on someone else's blog about how her, her husband, and baby got in the car and did just that. Call me boring, but that seems ludicrous to me. My sister Caitlin and her husband pulled a similar stunt to eat at In-n-Out one time. Both of these places, Cafe Rio and In-n-Out, are very good, but when you start figuring out the cost of your gas and time, is it really worth a $2 hamburger you could make at home? For the price of your trip you could hire a babysitter, eat out somewhere really nice, and go dancing!

Supporters of this trend would probably argue that nothing compares to these two restaurants and that is why the trip and gas are worth it. These crazy people will probably also say, "Cristin, live a little!" Hey, I love Ikea, Korean food in Koreatown, pains au chocolat in France, and pickled herring in Denmark, but there must be boundaries. One time I rode with Erik to pick up a boat in Las Vegas explicitly to eat at a french bakery at the Paris Hotel, and you know what? The croissant was overpriced and crappy! So, when a crazy little voice tells you to do something insane like to drive 12 hours for a burrito, you must learn to say NO.

Here's another novel idea: Try making it yourself! Hopefully you don't need me to post a recipe for a hamburger, but here is a link to Jamie's Cafe Rio recipes.

11 comments:

  1. I agree, Cristin, a 110 %. I have read the same thing on other peoples blogs and I think THEY ARE CRAZY!! I like both of those places but not enough to drive 12 hours for just that(especially now that we have a baby.) I really don't like driving for all ends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah... there good point- for the cost of gad alone they could eat at a 4 star restaurant $100 a plate. sounds like these people need to broaden their horizens. cafe rio is good- but that is CRAZY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandon did an In N Out Burger run to Las Vegas in high school... from California. But that's high school boys being bored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to Cafe Rio, but I am a huge fan of In-N-Out. However, there is no way that I would drive that far just to have a burger. There are so many amazing restaurants everywhere we've lived. I think those people just need to try some new restaurants. Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I did try out Jamie's recipe, and it is soooo good! Just don't take shortcuts, otherwise it tastes like you tried to make a Cafe Rio salad, but it didn't work. And 12 hours is a long time -- especially with a child. I haven't even attempted to drive that far yet with mine; the idea scares me to death.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (Caitlin)i admit that our in n out road trip was a little kooky. Luckily we split the cost of gas and hotel costs with my brother in law. gas round trip: $80 snacks for the road:$ 20 Cheap Hotel:$45 Rides on the Stratosphere:$30 1 Cheeseburger and 2 double doubles animal style:$8 Spending 6 hours in the car to eat at In N Out: Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read about our friends heading to S.G. for some Cafe Rio love. Yes, a bit crazy. While I am the first to admit that I am all about the food when I travel to old stomping grounds...my impromptu getaways usually involve more than food. And, they did go and see his grandma (if you're talking about who I'm talking about).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay am I a crazy one? I have never drove specifically to eat some where but, years ago when I lived in Arizona and there were no Del Taco's in the state. (I love Del Taco) When I would visit Caifornia I would eat it the whole time I was in town and then when I was leaving the state (usually driving) I would stop at the last place on the 10 hwy and buy like 10-15 burritos that I could eat when I got home. And then I would not share them with anyone. Am I crazy? Now that were are in Georgia and I am hard pressed to find a Taco Bell I am just going to live deprived of any mexican food, fast or other wise I am just getting used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok I definately wouldn't drive 12 hours for a salad or hamburger for that matter, but I do admit Greg and I go out of our way to go to Diddy Reese for cookies when we are down in So CA. Also I would go to Italy again just for the gellato (I haven't found one place that compares):)! But I guess I have a bit of a sweet tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 12 hours is crazy. I think the most I would travel to eat at a place is an hour. I also think that people need to venture out and try new places. The best places usually are the hole in the wall. I found this hamburger joint about 1 mile from my house which I think is better than In N Out and they have a similar spread. I'm glad I don't have to drive 4 miles to In N Out now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE those salads. We have one here about 10 mins away, except I just found out how many calories are in them. Needless to say, think before you partake!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails