10.10.2007

OH NO! THE PHANTOM HAS STRUCK!


Yesterday morning I found on our doorstep a really nice plate of rice krispie treats along with a note that the "FHE Phantom" has struck! According to the note, we have to pick two families and do the same thing to them next Monday night. While it is very flattering that the FHE Phantom has chosen us, I am cautious of eating things dropped off by mystery people at our door.

First, how do I know this is safe to eat? Besides the fact that it had been sitting on our doorstep all night, what if it is poisoned? I reviewed my potential list of enemies in the ward. The only ones I could think of were if those "well meaning older ladies" somehow read my blog. Since I don't think any of them have internet access and/or the ability to use the internet, I am probably safe. Honestly, if you wanted to kill someone, especially a Mormon, the easiest way would be to drop off something unanimously at their door, make them think you are doing it as a "secret friend" and boom, mission accomplished. (Erik consumed 3 of the rice krispie treats and he's still alive today. That's a good sign.)

Next, why does he have to be called "The Phantom?" I prefer FHE Surprise or something sweeter sounding. "Phantom" makes me imagine some disturbed and disfigured individual with an amazing singing voice, wearing a black cape and white mask hung on by double sided sticky tape, who mysteriously left baked goods
at our door. Creepy.

The term "Phantom" also makes me laugh for another reason. My college roommate, Megan, has this great story that I have probably told at least 100 times. Oh, how I wish this was MY story. Oh well. (I hope I have the story right.) The short version: While Megan was studying abroad in England for a semester some anonymous person started leaving human feces (aka POOP) as a surprise for random people. The mystery person would smear it on doors, leave it in baggies, etc. Megan called him "The Phantom Crapper." (I think her British counterparts had a much cruder name for him.) So, I guess on second thought, I should be grateful that it was only the FHE Phantom that struck and not the Phantom Crapper.

11 comments:

  1. The FHE Phantom is not new, that's for sure. I think that I've gotten one in every student ward that I've lived in. Yes, even Wymount. I think I would be a little suspicious, though, not living in a student ward and getting one because usually they announce that they're doing this activity in the ward. Isn't it sad that we have to be suspicious of every nice deed people do nowadays? Thanks to all those Phantom Crappers that have made it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny because my friend was thinking of starting that in our ward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! I was going to do that. I hope no one would think my treats are creepy. Hmmmm.... Maybe I'll re-think that option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm personally not a fan... although I don't think I've heard of the name "FHE Phantom" but the same concept was used in our old ward last year. Did yours ask you to hang an ugly picture of a jack 'o lantern on your door, too? (so that people would know that it was already done to you and wouldn't bring more treats)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just got the phantom note and treat at our door too, and it was fun because we had our little 3 year old Elisabeth do the ring and run for us when it was our turn(we had to pick three families to give it to). It was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my sister just posted about this and all i have to say is i would never eat anything left on my doorstep without knowing who left it. and i wouldn't leave anything either, because i know all my friends would feel the same way...maybe that's because we live in the hood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, okay.... Im the Phantom. Darn. You really hurt my feelings. I drove all the way from Orem to deliver it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. DON'T EAT THOSE! did you take that picture after nibbling on those or did Luke get into them because they look way scary. Don't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cristin you better give people store-bought treats like a bottle of cider would be nice or a box of dough nuts or chocolate covered pretzels or caramel popcorn would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We used the Phantom as a Beehive activity and started it in our neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dude that was really funny....it made me laugh...how on earth did you remember that and I forgot it? Like, I'm reading the story thinking this is really funny...wonder how it ended!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails