10.03.2007

IT'S PAYBACK TIME



No, it's not Flashback Friday... but, I have been thinking a lot about my youth lately.

Ever since this whole Beehive adventure began (3 or so weeks ago), I have felt like my life revolves around Wednesday night mutual activities. Oh my gosh these activities are a lot of work! I wonder if any of the girls realize how much thought and preparation goes into planning those weekly "90 minutes". As a Beehive, I never did. In fact, I didn't realize what a jerk I was as a teenager until I had a former Young Womens leader come up to me at my sister's wedding and say, "Wow, I can't believe you went on a mission and got married in the temple! Who would have thought?" I mean, I knew I was a jerk and sarcastic when I was young, but it must have been really bad. All I could think about today while rushing around and finalizing things for tonight's dinner was, "This must be payback time. P-A-Y-B-A-C-K."

For the dinner, I went with spaghetti with italian sausage, salad, garlic bread, and brownies. It was simple and quick. The girls were done in 30 minutes and as a plus, no one cut their fingers off!

What is most stressful for me is the silliest thing. Anytime we have guests over I feel compelled to clean the house super well, and not just the parts of the house they will see. I scrub the bathtub, clean our bedroom, organize the toy room... why when they won't go in there??? NO CLUE, but I exhibit this strange compulsive behavior every time.

Next week I get break, and then the week after that we are making modest clothes for the girl's Barbies and then doing a fashion show with them. No joke. This was what the Beehives decided to do in their presidency meeting and since I'm just a slave to the girls (60-40), Barbie Fashion Show it is! I'm already stressing out about making a runway, what music to play during the fashion show (perhaps a little Sons of Provo), and how to incorporate some good stuff from the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet.

Yup, it's definitely PAYBACK time.

14 comments:

  1. A Barbie fashion show? Seriously?! Do twelve and thirteen year olds still play with Barbies? I've always loved being a Young Women's leader, but that's because half the time I've been Secretary (the easiest calling in YW, in my opinion) and the other half the time I was a teacher... But I know mutual is a ton of work from the few activities I've had to plan. Those girls really do have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow a Barbie Fashion Show! I was really into Barbies as a kid, but by the time I was in YW, I made a serious effort to outgrow them. Hmm . . . very interesting.

    I think that how much you really put into the activities (yes, even cleaning every inch of your house) shows your dedication to your calling and your love for the girls. Even if you don't feel that cleaning your house stems from that, it sure shows that to me. One day those girls will look back and remember how dedicated you were.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not going to lie- if I was their leader and the girls said they wanted to have a barbie fashion show I would think- "this is pretty dang awesome". but why barbies? why can't they do a fashion show for themselves and make clothes for THEM to wear. barbies? that is really strange! but I guess just make the most of it... is there a way you can suggest that the girls have the fashion show for themselves? is it too late to change it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe your girls play with Barbies. Our Beehives are basically small 18 year olds.

    We did a modestly fashion show for all the Young Women last year. Red carpet off the stage through the middle of the gym lined with Christmas lights. The local newspaper came and interviewed and took pictures. It was super stressful just making sure the girls were actually modeling modest clothes. We had to have them all bring the clothes they planned to wear the week before and they had to put them on for us. How are are you going to have a runway for Barbies? And why would anyone chose to sew clothes that small?

    Oh, and my mom cleans everything too. Including bedroom and bathroom windows. I just put one of those child safety locks on my bedroom door because that room is last on on my cleaning spectrum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I forgot to mention that we are going to do a real modesty fashion show too... but they wanted to do it for the incoming 11 year olds in the Spring.

    Candace - Sorry, I meant 24-3!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was over behives for awhile and they did have some pretty interesting ideas....though the Barbie Fashion show is a first. Good luck with all of that I know its a ton of work! Luckily you know your hard work will most likely pay off in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any calling in YW or Primary is PAYBACK!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. (Caitlin) I was probably the one who played with barbies the longest but I was even done by the time I was a beehive! Thats wierd. They sound like a fun group though. I'm sure your such a fun leader too! You HAVE to video tape the fashion show and post it on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. huh? A Barbie fashion show??? that is weird. and for 12 and 13 year olds. To me, that seems really difficult trying to sew clothes for such little bodies. I would think they would want to have their own fashion show. are you going to have strings attached to them so you wont see their hands while they are "walking down the runway"?

    ReplyDelete
  10. the one thing is that for sure it will be hilarious to watch, being barbies and not even real people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm doing the same thing with Cub Scouts now...today I will have a some busy little 8 year old boys running around my house and I have spent too many dollars and time just to get ready for this first meeting!
    Your Beehives are SO blessed to have you.
    And, you should have seen me get ready for our company last week...I was even painting the hallway, steam cleaning carpets, and washing windows! I doubt they would have even noticed but I do! I am a crazy person that way, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was over the mutual activities for the Mia Maids for a while. The only thing worst would be to be over the Laurels! Doing the joint activities were the worst because you needed to plan for all of the youth. It was so hard finding something they would all enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I get the same way with cleaning my house, it drives Scott crazy, he always says, "they won't care honey" to which I always respond, "i know, but I care."

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails