10.29.2007

HECTOR THE COLLECTOR


Here's an excerpt from Shel Silverstein's "Hector the Collector":

Hector the Collector
Loved these things with all his soul
Loved them more than shining diamonds,
Loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,
"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people
Came and looked...and called it junk.

Remind you of anyone? Like my husband??

Erik likes free and cheap stuff. I love him to death, but he really is the guy that can't say no. He calls his stuff "projects." I was always super embarrassed when as poor college students in Utah, we took up at least 6 parking spots with all our old cars, boats, and motorcycles. Even now, people see the boat parked in our side yard and excitedly say, "Wow, you have a boat!" I'm always like, "Um, it's not what you think." This stuff was all free or really cheap. I was starting to think we would be able to live like normal people because we were down to only 4 cars, one boat and one motorcycle.

This past week was very exciting because Erik finished one of his "projects" and sold it. Here is a picture of the motorcycle that he got for free, fixed up, and sold! YAY!

Anytime he actually finishes a "project," he gets very excited. Like this week he told me he thought we should get rid of all his "projects," so that we could move into an apartment and have cheaper rent. The thought of getting rid of all that stuff, got me really excited. I was also able to park my car in the garage for one whole day, which never happens.

I guess he forgot about getting rid of his junk, because then he decided to take some of the money from the sale of the motorcycle and buy this (any guesses as to what this is?):


Okay, give up? This is THIS:



ERIK BOUGHT AN AIRPLANE KIT! You know, to build an airplane in our garage, like normal people do. This tops every "project" he has ever purchased. I am still in awe that I have 85% of an airplane sitting in my garage. I'm making him sign a contract with me that he will just flip it and not build it, but you know he's trying to butter me up so I'll let him build it. So, our current inventory is:

One Really Old Car (the 1941 Oldsmobile that he wants to be buried in)
One Soon to Be Vegetable Oil Car (the 1991 Benz)
One Old Car with No Air Conditioning (the 1995 Explorer)
One Not New Car (the 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage)
One Old Motorcycle
One Deep Sea Fishing Boat (the Winner)
and an Airplane Kit (a Long EZ)!

And Hector the Collector, I mean, ERIK, actually said to me last night that he feels like we're really de-junking.

16 comments:

  1. If you wanna see what your life could be like in 30 years, you need to take a trip up to Washington and visit the McAuleys. Talk about collecting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know his dad has had that old Ford in his garage the whole time I have known that family!! It must run in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we always had extra cars around when i was a kid. not because they were my dad's projects... just because he didn't know what to do with the old cars once they were broken down and not running anymore. I tried to talk him into opening up the sun roof on one and making it a garden. Plus for awhile we had a boat being fixed up in our front yard that some people in our ward owned. strange. luckily the things my husband collects are not huge like cars, boats and airplanes. we're talking maps, magazine articles, books. we do sort of have an old computer collection going, but not on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I was starting to worry about Matt's statement that he needed a hobby. Now I see that it's really a blessing in disguise . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cristin, do not, I repeat DO NOT let him build that airplane. Nate was into the RC airplanes for a while and the kit doesn't include everything you need (like glue, servos, and possibly even the engine). You would not believe how much it actually costs to build one of those. Luckily Nate has moved on, but I still cringe when I think about how much was spent on his "hobby."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait - does everyone realize this is a real airplane - like that people fly in? Not an RC one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cristin how much did this "real airplane" cost?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelley - That is a secret. I'll tell you on the phone. I want him to resell it, so if I post how much it was, then he won't be able to get what I want him to get for it. Call me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OHHH ERIK, Doesn't surprise me at all...

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my defense, I would like to point out that in the last year I have sold 2 motorcycles, and 2 Sailboats. The year before that I sold 2 more sailboats that were all "projects" and that fixed and sold for more then it cost to fix and buy...While you are on the soap box making fun of my "Skillz" maybe you should blog about the last time you had to pay to get the car fixed. Oh and by the way, Your Welcome :oP

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep...like father like son! I've learned to live with an old stereo and tons of albums (you know, records) in our family room and garage, plus the old Model A John bought while on his mission in Denmark.:-}He's actually working on it again after it just sat for about 20 years. Yes, I'm afraid Erik may have inherited that from his dad. But, hey, guess what....if he follows in his dad's footsteps, he'll turn out just fine! He'll just never have a nice, neat garage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow I cant believe that a REAL airplane is inside of that box!?!?? that sounds really scary to me and I would NOT ever fly in that! yeah I want to know how much he paid for that thing. and one more comment: I love how you put so much thought and creativity into your blog. you will win "blog of the year" for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice and neat garages are for Girly men! Hoo-Rah!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nate was reading your blog over the weekend (he's a fan, too) and he pointed out that I was mistaken about the airplane. I guess it just never occurred to me that you could actually build a REAL plane in your garage!!! How do you fit it in there?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a terrible thing, your guy is interested in things. Why not let him have his fun and enjoy life?

    Really would you rather have a guy like him who takes an interest in things and can find happiness in "cheap junk" or a guy who spends his days on the couch playing X box and drinking beer?

    Not only that but your kids are most likely going to learn how to work with their hands helping him, thus they will always be employable and able to survive in this world.

    Being a person much like him myself, if some one forced me to get rid of all of my "projects" you would be crushing my soul, the very core of my existence, my lone source of perpetual happiness.

    The best advice I could offer you is to be supportive of him in the things he loves, and in return he should be of you. But the sooner you can understand having a relationship with a guy like him, or well me for that matter will involve taking the "junk" pile that comes with it, the sooner you can work with him to achieve better things for the both of you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails