10.21.2007

HALLOWEEN COSTUME DRAMA


I love the part in Mean Girls when all the girls dress up in lingerie with bunny ears, and Lindsey Lohan is dressed up in an unattractive vampire costume. I can totally relate because I hate going to Halloween parties where all the women take this holiday as an opportunity to dress really sleazy. Then again, I am really torn because we've been invited to a Halloween party and I don't exactly want to be socializing while dressed up as the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man or in a Yoda mask.

Although I love Halloween, I am the world's biggest procrastinator when it comes to putting together a Halloween costume. You know your costume is lame when you have to wear a name tag telling people who you are. The years I didn't tell people who I was, people asked me if I was a hooker (I was a Spice Girl), a little kid (I was Punky Brewster), and not in costume (I was a Gap employee). So, I have one really hectic and busy week to think of a good costume which won't require a name tag. Erik wants to be an Arab guy riding a camel. Same costume he's done for the past five years, but hey, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

As for Luke, I thought I was in the clear. I picked up this great (and cheap) giraffe costume at Target the day after Halloween 4 or 5 years ago, just waiting for the chance to have a kid old enough to wear it. Well, that day has come and Luke can't stand the costume! I don't know what to do.

This is a picture of the first time we put it on him. He's screaming from the torture.

We thought if Erik wore it, Luke would like it, but it just scared him more.

He started warming up to it once we sat on the ground and let him pet it.

Even though Luke hates it, I don't want to change costumes! So, my new plan is to make him wear it for at least 5 minutes every day until Halloween. This better work.

11 comments:

  1. We had this problem with boy last year. We finally found a costume he was excited about. But then, I hadn't already purchased a costume. The 5 minutes a day plan sounds funny, but it will probably work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was seven or eight, my dad talked me into being the monkey king from the movie "Big Bird goes to China" (no idea how I got talked into that one). Everyone at the ward party thought I was a clown and I felt extremely embarrassed trying to explain. From then on I swore that I would never dress myself or my kids as anything that people wouldn't easily recognize. Yet last year when Gavin was a football player for Halloween, everyone thought he was a baseball player (I don't know of a baseball team called the 49ers, but who knows?!). Good luck with the giraffe costume. It's super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cristin, Ten years from now Luke will have a fear of giraffes. He will also hold this traumatizing experience against you. (caitlin)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember I was with you when you bought the giraffe costume... I even talked you into it. sorry luke, send the therapy bill to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe if he looks in the mirror to see how funny it is. I usually laugh while Chloe is crying. Sometimes it works, other times she keeps crying while I am laughing. Sad...

    I get what you mean about the sleazy costumes. I like my costumes to be funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Domestic Goddess"...put on a dress...put on an apron...tape a tray of cookies to your hand and don a tiara...hey I'm desperate here too...I think it might work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Make him a zookeeper and the giraffe is his animal he cares for. Dress him in khaki's and tie a leash on the giraffe. Let him play with it all week and he'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got Charles a cute spiderman costume, then I realized that he doesn't like to have something on his head...so we took it back and he's going to superman instead

    ReplyDelete
  9. The giraffe is cute....there is no way Kylee would have worn it either. I like the zoo keeper idea....maybe he has a stuffed toy that you could put the giraffe on. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're telling me. I hate thinking of costumes but mine really always suck. Last year we were invited to a Halloween party where you had to dress up and Zack went as a terrible gangster and I was a "swimmer" (bathing suit over my clothes with a towel around my waist and a pair of goggles tucked into my strap). No one even mentioned my costume or acted like I was dressed up, which is REALLY bad. Also, when we were dating, Zack would always just dress up in the worst clothes he could find all put together, so I decided to do it with him and put on ugly jeans with a stupid fringe jacket and an ugly hat (maybe like a halfway cowboy hat) and all night people would look at me and say, "Oh, cool, you're a cowgirl." But I so wasn't, I was just being dumb. It ended up looking like I had just done a terrible job of dressing like a cowgirl. I never know what to be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. K-we are having the SAME exact problem with Austin. Luke wants to be a fireman and so I thought it would be cute if Austin was a dalmatian. Well, he won't keep it on for longer than 10 seconds. I forced him to wear it for a picture today and he was SCREAMING! Super fun!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails