10.15.2007

GO AHEAD AND TRY TO GROSS ME OUT

We took this picture on Sunday as Luke was trying to feed himself yogurt with a spoon. I'd say he managed to actually put about 20% in his mouth. As you can see, his aim is a little off. I really admire his persistence though.

Before I had children, I had major food issues and would be grossed out by the littlest things, including the sight of milk left on the counter for longer than an hour. I think it originated from when I worked at the boys department in Wal-mart as a teenager and frequently discovered old hamburgers in the Underoos section. Although I rarely threw up, I felt the urge all the time when I saw such gross things. I'm positive that the above picture of Luke would have absolutely made me sick back then.

How times have changed! Today, Luke kept coming in the house from the backyard with different things in his mouth - rocks, old firecrackers (thanks, Erik), bullets (don't ask), and finally a worm.... in his mouth. I yanked it out without thinking twice, washed his face and hands, and sent him off to keep playing. No big whoop. No thought of puking.

There is definitely something about becoming a parent that heightens your tolerance for gross things. I no longer gag at the sight of old milk and could care less if I get some poop on me now and then (okay, every day). My mother-in-law has a story about one of the kids walking in with a coat hanger through his tongue. She calmly pulled it out. What amazing tolerance for something that would make most people faint! Obviously, old milk and coat hangers through tongues aren't even close to being the same thing, but I hope someday to work up to that level. For now, however, I will continue to be very pleased with myself for not throwing up every time I find regurgitated food on the carpet.

12 comments:

  1. Okay, a worm?! That would have made me queasy. But the ick factor on many things has definitely disappeared since I've become a mom. It's funny how that just happens, huh? Suddenly you don't care that you have poop on you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! A hanger!!!! I think that I would pass out. The first time that Zachary threw up I just stood there amazed that so much liquid could come out of one little baby. Unfortunately, at the time he was sitting on my husband's lap who was trying to snap me out of my amazement so that I could get him a towel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! So true how your tolerance changes with kids. I still have a hard time with other kids' poop, though(other than my own, I mean).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've been desensitized to most of the yucky things that Carson comes into contact with. We have been trying to get Carson to get interested in potty training, so I've been having Andrew take him in the bathroom so he can see how to do it like a boy. One time Carson got too interested and put his hand in the "stream". Andrew freaked out, but I just picked Carson up and took him to the sink like it was no big deal. I might have been a little queasy with the hanger through the tongue. I don't do blood very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you need to tell me that hanger story...

    You really have become much more tolerable. I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still adjusting. Milana has yet to put something gross in her mouth, I just hope that when it does happen I'll be capable of dealing with it. Now baby puke I'm totally cool with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. (caitlin) When I used to babysit a 4 month old I would gag anytime I had to change a messy diaper, or when I had to clean off his face after eating. Now, with Jonah, I pick the snot out of his nose, get poop on my hands (When he decides to go during a diaper change) and get spit up on everyday! I guess its just something about your own child.. he came out of your body so he cant be that gross!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope I don't have to work up to pulling out a hanger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for sharing this, Cristin! Just live long enough with kids and you'll see many more "exciting things"! I hope Christian reads this so he can appreciate the "wonderful" cool, calm mother he has for pulling a wire coat hanger out of his tongue when was 2 or 3 years old. For Kelly'a info......he just picked up a coat hanger and put the hook part in his mouth. Somehow because it was so big, the pressure of his jaw forced him to close his mouth and it punctured his tongue. (This was before Pres. Hinckley's counsel about body piercing ).Amazingly, the pediatrician told me he didn't even need to come into the office...he said the tongue heals so very fast. He was up on his tetnas shots, so he was fine after the initial shock. Christian has some other interesting wounds, too...you'll have to ask him about them! They were all ickey!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Lemira on the whole "other kid's poop thing." I can change the stinkiest of MY kids diapers, but give me some other kid with a poopy diaper and I gag.

    And puking. My husband just tells me to leave the room and he'll take care of it. Otherwise he knows there is a pretty good chance he'll be cleaning up kid puke, and mine.

    A worm in the mouth. Or a hanger. I don't think I could handle either. But then again, I guess if it was all of a sudden before me, I'd have to handle it, wouldn't I?

    ReplyDelete
  11. the buger at walmart :) i just can't get enough of these memories!!!!! keep them coming please...sorry have to go and laugh more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah that was me with the coat hanger!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails