10.17.2007

BARBIE FASHION SHOW

For as skeptical and critical I was of this activity, tonight's modesty/Barbie fashion show for mutual was surprisingly fun.

I asked three girls to teach the others about modesty and I was pleasantly surprised at how serious they took their assignment. They wrote things out and brought examples of how they make their own clothes modest. Then, everyone picked out a doll and we did before pictures, like this one (what a skank!):

Then they altered their outfits. I built a little runway (my piano bench with a towel draped over it), and turned on some sweet tunes (Sons of Provo's "Sweet Spirit"). Before each girl would walk her doll down the runway, I put the laptop on the bench and said, "This is the before picture and look at her now!" Then I would take the laptop away and the girls would pretend to be marching their Barbie down the runway (piano bench) saying things like, "Meet Malibu Mormon. She is really into modesty. Some of her favorite wholesome activities are giving money to people, taking in stray animals, feeding the homeless and making quilts for orphans!" I was really surprised at how funny the girls were with coming up with their doll's "wholesome activities." At the end of the activity we decorated people sugar cookies with modest outfits.

Here is the end result. Have you ever seen such modest Barbies in your entire life?:

I just re-read my description of this activity. Yes, I am clearly aware of how stupid it all sounds, but believe me, it was one of the most fun things I have done with the Beehives (or even Laurels). One of the most surprising results from this activity was the bonding I witnessed between the Beehives. That may sound a little cheesy, but we've had some problems in our class with backbiting and it was very comforting to see them all on my living room floor laughing, talking and helping each other with their dolls. Also, I loved seeing their creativity with the outfits.

I feel guilty now for secretly hating the idea of this activity. I never played with Barbies as a kid, so I think it was my 10 year old self telling me how stupid this was going to be that made it so hard for me going into it. The moral of the story is to ignore your negative 10 year old self, especially when you were a weird 10 year old (as I was) anyway.

11 comments:

  1. Well I have to say that when you posted about the activity I too was thinking why on earth would they want to do that. Thank goodness that it went well. I guess we can never under estimate the power of the gospel huh. I am glad that you had a fun time too. I can't believe that you never played with Barbies. I think I played with Barbies until I was in Jr. High. Maybe thats whats wrong with me?!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad it worked out well for your group of girls. Hopefully, they'll have more fun moments like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's hilarious. That first Barbie looks like such a tramp! Thank you for making modest clothing for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I like the idea I think I will do that with Ashley as she is having trouble with the concept of why she can't have bratz stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this idea for an activity! Too bad I'm not in YW's anymore. I should have been coming to you for great activity ideas the past two years that I was serving in YW. We had been strugging with ways to teach the girls how to be more modest. Didn't think to use barbies- what a great solution!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is SOOO funny! I would have been cracking up watching each Beehive walk her barbie down the "runway" complete with commentary. And the music to go with it! Seriously, those girls are so lucky to have a great YW leader like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a good activity idea...it seems to have turned out great. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like it was a lot of fun! You're such a fun leader!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is that toilet paper that they are making their dolls modest with?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess I must be a 10 year old inside because I would think that would be a fun activity. With our girls we had a fashion show where they had to make modest clothing for each other to wear. The catch was that you made the clothes from items found at home. The best outfit was made out of aluminum and she looked like she was from space.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great activity. Such a good idea! You must be one of the coolest advisors EVER!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails