9.26.2007

STUBBORN


Luke has suddenly decided that he no longer wants to sit in his highchair. If we try to force him in there, he screams until his lips turn blue. Aghgh, why now? I figured we would get another year's use out of it. The highchair was a beautiful thing. It enabled me to cook, mop the floor, and clean, all while he was munching on food.... and of course, restrained.

There are only two ways now to get him to eat. The first way is to let him stand on the chair. The above picture was taken this morning. As you can see, he's in his diaper because I'm tired of changing his clothes 5 times a day because he won't keep a bib on without throwing it. The french toast is on a napkin because he likes to throw his plate or bowl. The second way is to spoon feed him and keep handing him parts of sandwiches as I chase him around the house. As a result, I keep finding sticky spots all over the house where Luke has touched things while eating.

I don't know what to do. Do I force my child into the highchair, despite his screaming? (Once in there, he refuses to eat.) Is it bad to let him stand on a chair (besides the obvious that he could fall)? I'm starting to wonder how he survives because I feel like he eats so little as it is. I'm going to buy a booster seat this week and see if that helps. At what age to kids stop using highchairs? Is this normal for a 15 month old? I have no clue, just lots and lots of frustration.

8 comments:

  1. I think a booster seat is a good idea, but what if you bought a little kids table for him to sit at? They make those little plastic chairs and sell them at places like target and kmart for $3 and I have seen tables to match for less than $10- then you can also put it outside and when he is finished eating you can hose him down!
    p.s. that is a really cute picture of Luke laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gavin doesn't like the high chair anymore, either. But I still stick him in there despite the screaming (I'm a mean parent, I know). Desperate times call for desperate measures, right? With Kaitlyn I started putting food on the table and letting her "graze" by age two, but she didn't eat nearly as much and there was an even bigger mess than usual (spread throughout the house). But don't forget, if you use this method, make sure you don't give him anything that can't be vacuumed up (you know, like bananas).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time for a booster seat, with a seat belt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ya I think a booster seat might work. Who knows with Luke though.. the kids table might be a good idea. I wouldn't reward him for standing on a chair, just because you don't want him to think thats the right way to eat at the table, but you've gotta do what you gotta do, he needs to eat! Let us know how the booster seat works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto to Kelly... I also thought of suggesting a special table and chair for him. Maybe not for dinner time with the family... but during the day it wouldn't be a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like our boys are a lot alike :). I started using the booster chair awhile ago(the kind that straps down to a dining chair) and he likes it because he gets to sit around the table with us. But Charles is also a big eater, he's hungry a lot so if he ever does complain about being strapped in his booster seat I just tell him that's fine, he can get out, but he can't eat unless he's sitting in it and that always convinces him, though it sounds like that may not work for Luke.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grace still sits in her chair, but most of the time she wants to sit in a big chair (at church, at the Robbins, at home, etc)I think she likes being grown up (the nursery leaders say the same thing).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a chair that hooks on the table...and oh nice on the pregnancy...not that anyone is apparently taking notice...so I'll just acknowledge it with a slight nod...:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails