9.10.2007

"SPIRITED CHILDREN" IS A POLITICALLY CORRECT WAY TO DESCRIBE PSYCHO TOTS

(I've gotta bump that picture of Britney down with this post. It's making me ill to look at that hideous outfit.)

We just returned from attending a local "mommy and me" music class for the first time. At first, everything seemed swell. Luke was the first kid to run straight to the box of musical instruments and he was the first one dancing in the middle of the circle shaking his maracas. 20 minutes later it turned ugly. He was mad I wouldn't let him play the piano in the room or tear down the giant styrofoam guitar hanging in the corner. It's not like he was the youngest one there. Plenty of kids his age looked like they were getting tired, but instead of acting out, they just sat nicely in their mother's laps. Eventually, Luke found an open door and sprinted across the parking lot to our car. When I opened up the door, he climbed into his car seat on his own and tried to buckle himself in. At that point I took his hint, gave up and left the class early.

One thing interesting in these situations that I sadly find myself in whenever I try to take Luke to some sort of story time or "class" for toddlers, is that I can always distinguish between the mothers of "spirited" children (like Luke) and the mothers who have to bribe their docile kids to even get up or touch an instrument. While Luke was dancing in the circle, he started levitating towards an empty baby carrier. He just wanted to touch the cover, but this mother looked horrified, grabbing at it and saying, "No. This is the baby's!! Get away!" I realize that some people are afraid of germs, but seriously, folks. I wanted to say, "Hey - Luke was licking that tambourine that your kid is playing with now and vice versa, so there really isn't much we can do now, can we?" Whereas the mothers of spirited children were smiling at Luke when he started exploring the room.

I still feel very defeated for some reason. Maybe it's the horrified look of that mother while Luke was reaching for her baby carrier or maybe it's because I really had high hopes that this music class would be something fun we could do on Monday mornings, and it was very fun, almost Raffi-esque. Maybe we'll try it again in a month. Agh. Short of sending him to daycare, what are some fun and cheap things we can do during the day together where he won't bother other mothers or cause problems?

10 comments:

  1. I feel for you girl! Kylee was (and still is a little) very spirited! I remember going to the zoo with her and feeling like I had just run a marathon afterwards. Only mom's with spirited children understand how frustrating it can be for us moms! On a brighter note...now that Kylee can control some of her energy she's the first kid to try anything when we do something new. I do have to bribe her to sit thru story time or other quiet activities though still. We're working on it. You can do lots of things with Luke....go to the park and practice kicking a ball back and forth (let him do laps around the park if thats what it comes to). I had a friend that even took her son to a driving range and let him hit balls out onto the range. Get him a bike (kylee loved that), also quiet activities at home like coloring (I recommend the magicwonder kind that won't get on your house) or reading can help him practice staying still longer than a few seconds. Hang in there, it gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you call Luke, "spirited". I guess thats the nice way of saying "wild child". Do you have any toys/swinset/sand box in the back yard. I just think he would do better outside, because he wont be tearing anything up and he would have plenty of open space to run around in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. have you ever just put on the radio or played a cd and let him dance around crazy? kids always love that

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids love to "paint" with water. I fill up a bucket with water, give them a paintbrush, and let them at it. They paing our wall outside, the sidewalk, even our car. They've done it for hours before and the clean up is REAL easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that you should also keep going to the class if you want to. Forget the other moms, and do it if you're up to it. (I didn't mean to rhyme!) That mom sounded a little crazy herself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drinking, obviously. But you probably meant BESIDES drinking.




    I've got nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Become friends with the other moms with energetic kids and let them play together- I'm sure you'd both be happy for a break. As far as playing together, just make sure it's physical, and try practicing, here and there, times to sit quiet or do quiet things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have suggestions...just an observation. I once saw an actual tag for baby carriers in the shape of a stop sign that says "STOP, DID YOU WASH YOUR HANDS?" Ok, paranoid?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grace has to have her own chair to sit in for when she's fed up sitting in her high chair or a lap. She'll scream and throw a fit if she doesn't get to sit in her own chair at the Robbin's or at church. Awesome. She does her own thing during nursery and plays with whatever toys aren't currently being played with (we've watched the selfish little kids throw tantrums when she tries to play with them) and then the nursery leader tells me the other day, "You're Grace's dad? Woa, she's sensitive. Don't take a toy from her" Grrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohhh the spirited child - I have one as well - she's 3 and OMG I've been in your shoes - too many times. I've just started blogging about my trials and tribulations of raising a spirited child... www.spiritedchildofmine.blogspot.com and I'm hoping that it will give me a great place to vent and maybe even meet some other moms with similiar kiddies... I really enjoyed reading your blog and hang in there at least yours won't get a period one day LOL

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails