9.20.2007

IT SEEMED LIKE A GOOD IDEA AT THE TIME

I got a new job at church a few weeks ago. I used to be the Laurel Advisor (working with the 16 and 17 year old girls) and now I am 2nd Counselor in the Young Womens Presidency, which means that I get to work with the Beehives (the 12 and 13 year old girls.) Yes, it is a big change for me... not bad, just different.

Last night the Beehives wanted to learn about babysitting, so I agreed to do a little lesson/activity. Wary of how I was going to have enough information to fill 90 minutes, I decided to make it into a little game. I broke the girls into 2 teams and had them answer questions, time them in performing tasks and take a written test. One of the tasks I timed them doing was undressing Luke and putting on his pajamas. Hmmm, it seemed like a good idea when I came up with it, but if you are considering ever doing this, don't. Instead, he screamed and pointed at me as if to say, "What are you doing to me? You're my mother! I trusted you! Why are all these crazy girls taking off my clothes?!" Since I was timing them, Luke seemed to be especially freaked out by the intensity of the whole exercise. I felt like a really bad mother making him do that. It wasn't one of my proudest moments. I have to keep telling myself that it could have been worse, I could have timed them changing his diaper.


Then I watched the premiere of "Kid Nation" later that night and I now feel a special kinship with the crazy parents who let their kids get involved with that show. I wonder how many of those parents watched the premiere last night and thought (just like I did at mutual), "It seemed like a good idea at the time." After watching it, I don't feel bad at all for the 14 and 15 year olds, this is like the "coolest thing ever" for them, BUT, the 8 and 9 year olds?? To put this in proper perspective, this would be like sending my 8 year old brother-in-law, Hans, to Kid Nation where he would be influenced by crazy 15 year old boys, forced to make his own food, sleep on the floor, clean outhouses, and do whatever else the producers would ask him to do in the name of television. This makes no sense. Take a look at this waiver that the parents signed holding CBS not liable if their 8 year old contracts an STD or dies. AN 8 YEAR OLD.


The only smart one on that show is little 8 year old Jimmy who asked to leave after a few days. I found it interesting that they didn't show him being reunited with his parents... maybe because they are shunning him for giving up the chance at winning a $20,000 gold star?? I also found it odd that the television crew happened to be at Sophia's mother's house when she called to tell her that she had been awarded the gold star just minutes after the town council made the decision.

The worst part is that I didn't find the show very entertaining. To think of the lengths CBS went in order to get around child labor laws and the controversy they are experiencing, I would have thought it to be better... and it was kind of boring.

6 comments:

  1. Cristin- you make me laugh really hard! I can't believe you used Luke as a prop in your lesson! haven't you ever heard of cabbage patch dolls?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's okay, Cristin...when I was a student at BYU I took a class where I was a preschool teacher on campus at the Y. Parents brought their kids there for preschool and us students got to learn. One week it was my turn to be in charge of the lesson plans for 5 days. I chose to do my theme that week on grooming skills, so one day I brought 8 months old Kirsten to be my prop...I gave her a bath in front of the little kids and we talked about washing hair and all our body parts. So, poor Kirsten has been naked on BYU campus! The little 4 year old kids LOVED it. I have it on home movies...It's priceless....all in the name of teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe any parent would sign that waiver. That's just awful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so funny. Chloe hates to be changed. I can't imagine if she had to get changed twice, she would go crazy. I can't believe that wavier. If your child dies or gets an STD? If that's not a red flag I don't know what is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cristin--I remember now that you went to Switzerland on your mission...right? I worked as a jeune fille au pair en Belgique, il y a quatre moins. My French is passable; I probably wouldn't have posted that clip if I'd remembered that you know French. Shoot. Anyway, it's not too popular in AZ (just Scottsdale), so I don't get to brush up as often as I'd like. Luckily, I am moving to Canada next month...

    Always enjoy reading your blog, by the way. Maybe I'll start commenting only in French. (My written skills are pretty lousy, too, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! we have the SAME calling and we did the SAME activity this week...except a little different...didn't volunteer my children...they just ran around the gym :) anyway Tia has the young women google group where marsha, ami, ashlee, tia and i all post thoughts/ideas etc...you should email her and get on girl!

    thought of you last night while I was at the kenny rogers concert! woo! but he had a slideshow with a rap that COOLIO did on the gambler...it was really funny...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails