8.05.2007

PAYING SOMEONE TO WATCH R RATED MOVIES


I saw a very sweet, tender and wholesome love story on Friday night called The 40 year old Virgin. Why? Stupid Clean Flicks. After the movie, I went on IMDB and discovered that 15 minutes had to be cut from the unedited movie in order to avoid an NC-17 rating. Oh, and there were like major story lines and plot points missing as well, not that this matters to Clean Flicks. Did I mention the movie was reduced to around an hour long?

I have a love-hate relationship with Clean Flicks.
I hate Clean Flicks because the premise of the store is ridiculous. Aren't I supporting raunchy movies by encouraging Clean Flicks to pay people to buy and edit these films? Does this mean I am encouraging and paying someone to watch "bad" movies for me? I think their business plan was to prey on Mormons (mostly from Utah) who were afraid to watch anything. (I say this because they sold edited versions of PG movies. This seemed like it had taken it too far.) They even had a service where you could pay someone to watch an R rated movie of your choice, they would edit it for you and send it back. I equate this to hiring a hit man or sending your non-Mormon father to the store for you on Sunday, i.e., reaping the blessings of having someone else do your dirty work.

I love Clean Flicks because I love movies and there are some R rated films that I would rather see choppy and edited funny than not see at all. When we lived in Provo, I broke down and decided to buy a month long membership to Clean Flicks. Admittedly, I felt like a kid in a candy store looking at all those formerly "forbidden" R rated movies, that were suddenly accessible with no guilt attached! I also had to get my money's worth, so I rented movies like crazy. It was very exciting to finally be able to see movies that people had been raving about for years.

The idea of Clean Flicks looks good on paper, but in reality, the movies are awful. Since the definition of "offensive" is so vague, the editors remove everything, regardless of the affect it may have on the storyline or character development. For instance, we watched "Gangs of New York" and it made no sense. The villain would pick up an ax and then suddenly major characters were dead in the next scene, without any explanation. "Love Actually" was good, but the end of the movie had characters I had never seen before. When there are plot holes you wonder if its the movie's poor quality or Clean Flicks lousy editing. My month of Clean Flicks made me want to watch a truckload of R rated movies, just to see complete story lines and missing characters.

Clean Flicks was shut down last year when they lost a lawsuit brought against them by several Hollywood directors for violating U.S. copyright laws. I don’t blame the directors for doing this at all. Clean Flicks butchered their movies. When they lost the suit, Clean Flicks was ordered to sell or abandon their inventory. My sister, Caitlin, bought a ton of their edited movies, including The 40 Year Old Virgin. I'm looking forward to watching her choppy and full of plot holes copy of “Blood Diamond” tomorrow night.

Now that Clean Flicks is shut down, it looks like I will have to rely on my Mother-in-Law to do the editing. She edited Titanic by taping parts of the Walton's over the bad parts, i.e., Rose tells Jack she wants him to draw her and then we see a house and hear, "Goodnight, John Boy." I think I prefer the "Waltons Editing Method" to Clean Flicks because at least I know when I am missing something and for how long. This way I can use my imagination, which is sometimes way worse, I mean, better, than what I am missing in the movie.

10 comments:

  1. Okay, so I totally know how you feel... That was always my complaint about clean flix, aren't we still supporting the "R" movie? Don't get me wrong I have watched my fair share and yes totally chopped up. I think the Walton way is the best way to go... I think your mother-in-law should go into business.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever seen an edited movie from Clean Flicks. My conscience was still too guilt-ridden to watch any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't look at the rating anymore. If the cover looks interesting, I rent it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wait for stuff to get to TV. It takes a long time, but at least the movie makes more sense!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will someone let me know when "Love Actually" is going to be on tv? When I see an ad for a rated R movie that I really want to see, I always tell myself I'll watch it on tv. But I don't watch enough tv, subscribe to a tvguide, get a newspaper, or get any cool cable channels that show movies all the time, so I have no idea when movies are on tv. So it looks as if I will never actually get to see "Love Actually."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. I never really gave much thought to this. Zack's parents always rented these and one favorite thing to do with his family is watch them. I don't mind that they're chopped up b/c I wouldn't get to see them any other way. I never thought about it still supporting the R movie b/c someone is still buying them to edit them. Huh. Zack's mom bought The Painted Veil when they went out of business and started a chain where she mailed it to one of her kids, and then they mail it to a sibling, and so on. We got it and watched it (and I really liked it by the way) and at the end, Zack and I looked at each other and were like, "What was so rated R about that one?" Oh yeah, duh, it was edited!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ever heard of ClearPlay? We have one...it is a DVD player that has filters you download online and you can choose to what extent you want to edit your movies. It is legal too. Check it out at http://clearplay.com. If you want to know more details let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We subscribed to cleanflicks until they went out of business. I was so bummed when that happened since I couldn't get my "R" movie fix, but it really was annoying that half the movie was cut out of some of them (Wedding Crashers was totally confusing.) But I have to admit, I did feel a little guilty about supporting R movies like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a Clean Flicks gal. I do think it's supporting rated R movies. But I also don't buy edited music. To me it's the same thing, and when I hear "f'in" I just fill the word in in my head anyway. It's automatic...don't act like you don't do it :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should look at getting a Clear-Play DVD player. You sign up for a yearly subscription and dowload the filter for the movie that you are watching and then put it on a USB flash drive. You then take the flash drive and plug it into your Clear Play DVD player and walla you have a filtered movie. It works great, and the DVD players are no more expensive than other DVD players. Clear Play is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails