8.07.2007

MALLRATS


This may sound un-female and even un-American, but I have started to really HATE going to the mall.

That is all my sisters have wanted to do during the past few days. Yesterday was the Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall. I know it's going to be a bad experience when I look at Kaci in her designer jeans and huge trendy sunglasses that overtake her face and realize that she, along with the rest of my sisters, have dressed up to go shopping. I imagine these Pretty Woman-type scenarios where the salespeople ignore me because I am wearing Old Navy $10 Shorts with grease stains on them. After a few hours, I find Kelley racing around the mall, carrying a pink Juicy Couture shopping bag the size of a baby bassinet. Seriously, Caitlin asked if her baby could sleep in that bag. It was huge.

Today we went to the Arizona Mills Mall. It is the complete opposite of the Snotsdale Mall. It has tons of outlets, lots of "interesting" folk, and not a lot of customers dressing up to go shopping. You would think I'd fit right in, except that Luke started having a major tantrum in the middle of the Saks Fifth Avenue Outlet. I let him out of his stroller and he ran straight into a row of men's suit coats, trying to pull them all down. I called my sisters and said, "I am serious. We need to go home." A few minutes later, Kelley runs past me with clothes in her hands. She is frantically saying, "I'm hurrying as fast as I can!" We leave an hour later.

I have no patience for shopping anymore. I was at Forever 21 and Bebe and the clothes were all really ugly, but of course, my sisters thought they were cute. My sisters just don't understand that I wear clearance. Only clearance and their old clothes. Besides, it's sad but I rarely go anywhere during the day where I need to look really good. I only take a shower, put on makeup and try to look nice about 30 minutes before Erik comes home from work. Erik doesn't pay attention to my outfits, so I just put on the same one every day. These are just a few of the perks of being a housewife. (I am only kind of kidding in this last paragraph.)

14 comments:

  1. AMEN! I HATE shopping...please reference my blog entry titled as such. I get panic attacks in the stores. I get angry at the stupid stuck up trendy people. I lose patience in trying to find decent, inexpensive, modest clothes, in under 15 minutes. I hate trying clothes on. I hate it when I find something cute, but then the reality of "I can't pull that off" sinks in. I support you Cristin in your stained Old Navy clothes, and just add...I have a whole closet full!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha! I love shopping when I have money to shop with...so lately, I hate it. You really should have gone to Chandler. It's a happy medium. Not the snottiness of Scottsdale and not the scariness of AZ Mills (I HATE that place...even with the good deals).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the mall every once in a while...I'm just happy going to Target every so often.

    I don't go to the mall during the month of December...it's like a cattle herd!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't care for the mall unless I'm going to see a movie or Matt and I are really bored and need something to do or there's actually a store I need to go to. Otherwise, I avoid it -- not my favorite place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a mall rat, but I crave a good shopping outing now and then. Maybe you'll like it more when you can go without Luke and just relax and stroll around and take your time enjoying a milkshake or something while browsing. Even better, buying clothes online! You can look at tons of cute stuff in half the time and you don't even have to get out of your pjs to buy some hot shoes on sale. I have found many a good online sale. Then you can get unstained clothes without the mall rat experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex - I think you are right. I actually really enjoy shopping when I don't have a crying kid with me. Good point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cristin...I cannot even remember the last time I went to a mall! I'm an Old Navy girl myself which does not require going to the mall thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cristin,
    You are not alone. I also hate to shop. I love clothes, but hate shopping. And I know this is going to make me hugely unpopular, but I HATE forever 21 or any stores like it. I'm 27. I don't want to be forever 21. So wear your stained shorts proudly, and know that you are not alone in your mall hatred.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was crackin' up over the story of Luke pulling the coats off the rack! Shopping with my kids is a nightmare too (just wait 'till you have another one). Kaitlyn's running off in one direction while I'm trying to stop Gavin from pulling stuff off the shelves... even when he's in the cart or stroller, he seems to be able to reach stuff and make a huge mess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can remember my mom making us put on our nicest clothes to go to the mall when I was little. It never made sense to me because my nice shoes hurt my feet and I spent the whole time at the mall wondering if I could afford slippers.

    I don't hate to shop. I hate to shop with kids. And I'm definitely not as into it as your sisters appear to be.

    My sister always got mad at me when she took me shopping because I never tried anything on. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrew's family lives in Paradise Valley and his sister's love to shop! If we are ever in AZ, it's pretty common to hit the malls in the area. I'm all for online shopping. I've found the Amazon has great deals on shoes. I highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They gave me the GIANT shopping bag because they were all out of the small. I should have just refused to take it... it was "lifesize". I wore really comfortable clothes- I WORE SWEATPANTS! and flipslops". I just love to shop... and I didn't buy anything from forever21 and bebe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kelley - Sweatpants?! That's what you call your $300 Juicy Sweat Suit?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cristin wrote that last comment. not me.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails