8.02.2007

HOME AGAIN

I got back into town late last night. Girls Camp was fun, but really hard. Nothing like the Parent Trap! Here are some good memories of the past three days, in no particular order.

1. It has been a really long time since I have camped like that - no electricity, no showers, and outhouses. We had to dig trenches around our tents so the rain would stay out. I actually preferred this to the "Camp Hilton" style of camping that I experienced at Girls Camp as a youth.

2. I had to supervise the girls stirring the "goo" in the outhouse. (Did you know you have to "stir the pot" when you are using a porta-potty? Pretty gross. Don't touch the skinny side of the stick.) I also had to give a talk to the girls about disposing of their pads and tampons correctly. Here is part of my talk: "We don't want to know your business, you know what I mean?" Pretty good, huh?

3. Awkward can easily be defined as using my breast pump while lots of people came into the tent and wanted to talk to me. I was in pain from not nursing. Ow. It was hard to pump because we were busy and there was almost no privacy, so I just resigned myself to acting like it was no big deal that people kept coming in and out of the tent while I tried my hardest to do it under my shirt. I felt like a cow.

4. One difficult thing about camping in an extremely secluded, 8000 feet elevation, primitive campsite for three days is that there is no cell phone service. One person in the camp had a satellite phone for emergencies only. It was agonizing not being able to talk to Erik or find out how Luke was doing. This is the longest I have ever left Luke (the first time overnight), and the longest I have gone without speaking to Erik since we started dating.

5. I had a really fun time. The girls were great, the other leaders were fun, and I almost cried as I pulled out of the camp. (Everyone else goes home Saturday.)

On the home front, Luke did really well with my mom and Caitlin. He took the milk I pumped and formula while I was gone. When I got home, he looked at me funny for a few seconds and then resorted back to being a total baby, i.e., crying more than ever before. My mom thinks he's afraid I'm going to leave again because he has been very clingy today.

Erik left for Tennessee this morning to attend one of his co-worker's funerals and I am driving to Phoenix tomorrow morning to spend the week with my sisters. Busy, busy, busy
.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! You are back! I was missing your posts. I will actually be in Phoenix this weekend. I'd say we should get together, but I'm sure we are both very busy. Anyway, I'll be thinking of you. Ha ha ha! Glad you had a good time at Girls' Camp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stirring the pot? That is sick. I do really like your speech. I will have to remember that one. Glad your back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's obviously been too long since I've been to girls' camp. I'm glad you had fun though.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails