8.10.2007

FF: KID LOGIC


Flashback Friday is devoted to Kid Logic. For example, we always think Luke is the smartest toddler EVER and then he'll do something like try to eat food the same time his pacifier is in his mouth. He hits the food to the pacifier a couple of times before realizing that he has to remove the pacifier in order to eat. Or, my other favorite example of Luke's kid logic is that when he is nursing he thinks he can take "it" with him, i.e., he will be completely latched on and try to go somewhere. This is as uncomfortable as it sounds. With me still in his mouth, he's turning and trying to get off the rocking chair. Ow.

When Erik was 10, he bought a mint set from a coin show. He carefully opened it up, used tweezers to remove each coin, individually wrapped them in plastic wrap, and wrote on each coin, "Never Been Touched By Human Hands." When I want to torment him, I find those coins and threaten to touch them with my human hands. We get into arguments about how I think they really were touched by human hands and he's convinced they never were. In Erik's logic, those coins were the coolest thing EVER.

Kelley told me that when she was little (I'm assuming 5 or 6, but maybe she was 15?) she thought it would be a good idea to wear all her underwear at once and then she would just peel off a pair each day. This way she wouldn't have to change her underwear. Never mind the fact that she isn't peeling off the pair closest to her body. Ew.

In my own kid logic, I remember an incident when I found myself unexpectedly locked out of the house and alone briefly when I was 5 years old. I had to go to the bathroom badly. I went into the our Orange VW Vanagon (with the cool pop top cot), found a roll of toilet paper and thought, "I normally wipe myself with one square of toilet paper and in my hand I have a whole roll of toilet paper. I will just pee directly on the roll and it will work the same way as wiping." Got to love kid logic!

6 comments:

  1. I am laughing so hard!!! "Kid logic"... this is such a good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classic post! It's funny how these connections come together in our minds like it makes the most sense in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's hilarious! I love the underwear trick -- haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahaha! Wow, it reminds me of when I was little, like 3 or 4, I thought that mom's decorative emply basket was the same as the toilet. I think i would use it while I was playing make believe. . That lasted until one day when someone smelled a bad odor coming from the living room corner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I will share mine...I was always falling asleep whenever we started a movie after dinner. One night we were going to watch "Alien" and I REALLY wanted to see what the fuss was all about, but I was afraid I would fall asleep. So I figured if I could find a way to keep my eyes open I would stay awake. This led to be using scotch-tape to tape open my eyelids. I layed on the floor so my family wouldn't see what I did, but I still fell asleep, which made the moment even worse when my sister came to wake me up and I had tape on my eyes! Clever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta love that kid logic! When I was young (probably about 5) I DESPISED having to sit on my dresses in church-they were so bulky and burdensome. Solution: just lift my dress up really high, then sit down directly on the bench. At the time it made perfect sense to me and I could never figure out why my brothers teased me so much for it...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails