7.12.2007

SCRAPBOOKING

It's lonely sometimes being a non-scrapbooker in the Mormon Mom-o-sphere.

When we moved to Tehachapi, the first few people I met said, "Hey, let's get together for scrapbooking!! YAY!" Desperate to get out of the house, I went over and watched them scrapbook, although I wasn't doing it. After watching my friend spend an hour meticulously cutting out 10 letters, I wanted to scream, "Use a computer! Hand write it! Just put the pictures in an album!!" I have realized, however, that people actually enjoy cutting paper and spending lots of money on "cute" embellishments. It really is an art form and I'm just not very artsy. I admit to feeling a little rush of excitement each time the paper isn't mangled after I use a paper trimmer and I do love looking at scrapbooks, but as much as I try, I just can't get into it. It's kind of sad to me, especially since I sometimes feel like this might be impeding me from making friends. If I were being my true self, I would say, "Hey, gals, want to get together to blog, make home movies, and gossip about celebrities?!!" But, no one seems into that kind of stuff in The 'Hachapi except for me.

I am currently making invitations to my sister's upcoming baby shower. This is a huge stretch and challenge for me, but I volunteered to do it because I am hoping this will help me to enjoy scrapbooking and/or card making. So far, I am starting to wish I would have bought them or ordered them online.



There is a small scrapbooking store in Tehachapi. The owner, pictured above, is super nice, but obviously obsessed. Like, I mean, OBSESSED with scrapbooking. If you wanted to make a documentary about scrapbooking, she would be the star. It is almost a little scary how into it she is. (Isn't it great what and who you can find pictures of on the internet?)

Okay, so now you have a good visual of the owner. One of the last times I was in there she showed me this $250 machine that punches out little shapes. (The machine is actually right behind her in the photo.) $250 to punch out a dog shape on construction paper! I know, I know, it's art. When she showed me the shape she cut out all I could say was, "Uh, wow, that sure is cute! Oh, we won't be giving this to the baby because it is too cute and he'll eat it! Could you imagine anything more cute!? I can't." (I have noticed that people who scrapbook say "cute" a lot.) Of course she smiled like I shared her love for scrpbooking. Ha ha, fooled her!

17 comments:

  1. I HATE scrapbooking. I'd rather use all that cute paper and do- dads to decopage something. I think scrapbooks can be a cute gift or for a special occasion but I think its complete overboard when every single photo album is a scrap book.

    How are the invitations coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally with you. I hate scrapbooking. It's great that you are trying it for the baby shower invites, but I would have just designed something cute on the computer, and then cut it smaller than a fancy piece of scrap book paper, and glued them together. That's how I "scrapbook." I think they are absolutely beautiful. Sometimes I wish I had enough money to pay someone else to do it for me. I was a photo album girl. Now I just burn them onto cd with the idea that someday I'll really go out and get them all printed. Hmmm... we'll see how much that costs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that scrap booking is too time consuming and costly for the end result. Sure it looks nice, but what else could you be doing with your time? Playing on the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like scrapbooking but I like making cards for some reason. Anyways, please explain to me what Mrs. Scrapbook is wearing in this pic? A night sky robe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you! I don't fit in with the mormon women who scrapbook and I feel like thats includes 90% of my ward. I want to make a baby book for Jake but thats about all the scrapbooking I can handle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea, and I plan to, but I've been planning to for 5 years. Also I wish more people shared the same interest in making home movies. Drew and I want to remake 90210 (the high school years). So much exaggerated drama.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep telling Cristin, that her blog and movies is "her scrapbook". I need to figure out how to save and burn all these pages and comments onto a DVD so taht we can keep them. It's the closest thing we'll ever have to a family journal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.blurb.com/home/1/

    blurb.com. They put your blog with pictures, comments, whatever you want into a nice book. I know someone that's done it and it's really cool!

    Anyway, I don't scrapbook, I admire people who make stuff look nice, but seriously. I have a friend that wants to "bond" all the time by scrapbooking on Saturdays. Once in a while I give in so that she feels good and she's OCD about scrapbooking. She gets paid to do other people's pictures. She ends up having me go sit somewhere else while she finishes up my pictures. She even brings me scrapbook pages once in a while if she has pictures of my kids. It's kind of crazy! I can't get into it. But I do want to document our pictures, but I don't want to add frill to it, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just looking at the fall parks and rec catalog of classes offered in the fall and one is called "digital scrapbooking." Sounds perfect. No scissors. No glue. So from now on, when people ask if you scrapbook, tell them you are a digital scrapbooker.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jamie - I just looked at the Blurb website. I am going to do that! That is great!

    Nancy - I actually offered to teach an enrichment class called "Digital Scrapbooking," mostly about how to make home movies and DVD's - but no one from the Relief Society has ever taken me up on my offer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are hilarious...while I don't hate scrapbooking, three of my good friends here in P-town work for a scrapbooking company, so I feel totally inadequate. Plus I don't have time. Plus, I would much rather blog and that takes up time. Plus, on a blog, anyone can look at your stuff. Plus, it is expensive.

    Although one of my friends recently hooked me up with a bunch of stuff...however, I'm thinking I'll split it up and re-gift it...it wasn't something he thought I would want, just a thank you from his company because they did a photo shoot in my (parents') kitchen.

    Thankfully, I already feel like a leper in the LDS community because I'm 29 and not married and don't have kids...so the whole lack of scrapbooking is just gravy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually think i would really enjoy scrapbooking, but I can never bring myself to actually buy all the supplies to do it. I can't believe how expensive it is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I right there with ya', imagine living in Utah and not scrapbooking!!!! I know, I know, I am commiting a deadly sin, but I don't do it!!! I think I could get interested in digital scrapbooking or such, I like the computer, but I'll just try to keep up my blog for now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, so I'm one that LOVES to scrapbook, but I'm not obsessed. I have friends that scrapbook, too, but we've never gotten together to do it because it's too hard to get stuff together. We always get together to watch movies or something else. I like scrapbook on my own at my pace. And the easier to put together, the better. Cristin, I love to use the computer for fonts and typing up the writing. My sister-in-law likes it too, but since she now has three kids, she's changed her method to the digital scrapbooking. She does it all on her own, and it's cute. You would probably like it that way. I can send you an example of her stuff, as she emails them out every week as her updates. It seems easy to do.
    Also, that $250 machine is called the Cricut. I don't have one, and won't be getting one soon. Where is there room where Jackson won't just start pushing buttons on it?! I have to scrapbook when he's in a deep sleep anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  15. P.S. If I were there with you, I'd totally get together and make movies together or something fun like that. I think that stuff is great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband's mother scrapbooked religiously for both her boys. Each boy has like 4 or 5 full books, but unfortunately she passed away while my husband was on his mission, so his mission scrapbook literally stopped when she died. She was that up to date with it all. And thanks to her, I have wonderful memory books of my husband. Thanks Darlene!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. kelley stop that. its cute. ok you are right, anyway like kelley is going to read this anyway. wait, cristin did you actually take a picture of the owner just for your blog? wow you really are obsessesive about this blog stuff

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails