7.07.2007

REUNITED AND IT FEELS SO GOOD


To say that I am excited about the Spice Girls Reunion World Tour is an understatement. I love the Spice Girls. One may ask, "But, Cristin, how are the Spice Girls any different than the Pussycat Dolls?" And I will say, "How dare you compare some skanky Las Vegas strippers to a talented quintet of girl power?!" One of the first real concerts I ever went to (not including Raffi) was to see the Spice Girls perform in Phoenix at an outdoor amphitheatre in the middle of August 1998. It was their Spice World tour and Geri had already left the group. (Look at her in this picture, she sticks out like such a sore thumb!) The Spice Girls landed on stage in a giant space ship (the special effects were amazing)! Besides the mothers accompanying their tweens, my roommates and I were the oldest fans at the concert. I can't explain how cool it is to be surrounded by thousands of Spice Girl fanatics who aren't embarrassed to know all the words to every song. I lost my voice that evening from yelling so loud. It was really cool.

If you are not familiar with the Spice Girls (what have you been living in a cave your whole life?!), let me explain. The original group is made up of five girls:

Ginger Spice (Geri) - She is probably my least favorite. She looks kind of like a man and reminds me of Kim Cattrall on Sex and the City.

Baby Spice (Emma) - She is blonde and very "innocent" like a baby. At the concert I went to she sang "Baby Love." She kind of looks like Claire on Lost.

Sporty Spice (Mel C.) - She wears track suits and sports bras. She also does kickboxing while they sing. Her voice is very high pitched and irritating.

Posh Spice (Victoria) - Now she is most well known for being David Beckham's wife and Katie Holmes' best friend, but back in the day she was the most sophisticated of the group. She points a lot while she sings. In "Wannabe" she's the "real lady - doesn't come for free". I always thought my sister Kelley looked like Posh and acted like her too. (Just kidding, kind of!)

Scary Spice (Mel B.) - She wears coats with feathers or fur around the collar and always has crazy hairdo's. I had a mission companion who looked a lot like Scary Spice - she even wore the Scary Spice like leather coat with feather collars and high stiletto boots. Although her style wasn't very sister missionary-ish, I never said anything about it to her because I thought it might help get people to talk to us.

Here is one of my favorite Spice Girls songs:


According to their reunion website, I needed to sign up and if I am "lucky" enough they will invite me to a concert. I'm guessing that everyone, except Posh, needed the money. (Hello - Mel B. is currently going after Eddie Murphy for child support, that should tell you something about her financial status.) I think going to their reunion concert in Los Angeles in December would be a really cool Christmas present (hint hint).

11 comments:

  1. "all original members. Only SOME original body parts" Isn't geri 50 now? I am excited too. Now if only N'sync would get back together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would never know by casually meeting you that you're addicted to pop bands. Did you in the past intentionally hide this dark side?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! When I heard the news I freaked. I used to be the biggest spice girl fan!! Remember I had all of their accecories too! I had a calendar, a journal, and even a scrapbook!I was baby spice in a school play, amd was it you who gave me Spice World?I used to watch that movie over and over again! I even had a Posh Spice Barbie doll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My freshman year at college a group of us did a Spice Girls lip sync for a ward talent show and everyone thought we were the "bad" girls in the ward after that. We were totally decked out, tight clothes and all, although we couldn't show too much skin at BYU you know. I was Posh. I choreographed the routine and it was so cool. I bet you would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was at RICKS, the movie came out (late, of course) to Rexburg. Spice World? No one but guys went to see it. It was a theater full of guys because they were so "hot". It wasn't cool to like the Spice Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Posh Spice really does point a freakishly large amount of times during that video. Even at the very end when they're on the stage doing the hand motions, she breaks out of them to point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trisha - I can't even count how many times I have done Spice Girls lip syncs. I dressed up as a Spice Girl for Halloween one year (I was "All Spice") Lots of ignorant people came up to me at the institute dance and said, "Uh, are you supposed to be a prostitute?" (I had on high boots, a short dress and a feather boa.)

    Jamie - When I saw Spice World on opening night with my then-boyfriend (who insisted we see it, hmmmm) there were also lots of 11 year old girls dressed up as spice girls in the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, you remind me of the women on Music and Lyrics who follow Hugh Grant's character around to places like Knott's Berry Farm. Just wait, 10 more years from now Baby spice is gonna be doing your high school reunion, and you're going to be SOOO excited to see eachother :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess I've been living in a cave my whole life because I'm still trying to figure out who goes with what name!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you Cristin, I was always too embarrassed to admit that I like "Soooooo, tell me what you want, what you really really want...." But that was only because I was in high school and the only people who were supposed to like the Spice Girls were freshmen, geeks, and gay guys.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails