6.22.2007

SPACE NERDS

Sometimes there are perks that come with living way out here. Today we went and saw Space Shuttle Atlantis land at Edwards Air Force Base. My pictures and shaky video really don't do it any justice. It was very exciting and fun to be out in the middle of nowhere with a whole bunch of space nerds, I mean Erik's co-workers and other "space enthusiasts," waiting for the Space Shuttle to pop into the sky. I loved hearing the sonic boom! I don't know how many more Space Shuttle missions there will be, so I feel really fortunate that we were able to witness something so historic.

8 comments:

  1. How cool! I wish I could have been there for that. Did you know that the wheels on the space shuttle cost $6,000 a piece and they only use them once? Who's the space nerd now? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tires are probably the cheapest piece of harware that is on the space shuttle! NASA harware is EXPENSIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cristin, you guys are lucky you live where you can watch stuff like that. That was very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the music and the slow stills of the spaceship. yeah! very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still remember seeing the space shuttle Challenger land when I was about 10??? It was just a mission or two before that shuttle blew up, wasn't it Erik? Aunt Gayle's uncle was an astronaut on that mission. It was really neat. Where's the romance in space flight? We've lost it. Time to watch Apollo 13 again. :-) Great experience for you! Was it hot outside? Now you can tell Luke when he's 12, "you saw the shuttle land when you were a baby, don't you remember?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forget that you live so close to Edwards Air Force Base. That is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is pretty exciting! What fun memories.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails